PDA

View Full Version : FWIW old JRE 5 update 14

davidh
November 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
FWIW old JRE 5 update 14

I don't know what other versions of Windows this works on besides 98 & ME.

I don't know what it fixes.

I'm just hoping that it may be of some use to those for whom the JRE 6 update patch is causing problems in Firefox.

Where I dl'd JRE 5 update 14 from:

download page for Win 98 and ME

http://java.com/en/download/windows98me_manual.jsp

What I dl'd:

the full app , for offline install

jre-1_5_0_14-windows-i586-p-s.exe

what I had installed before:

Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_13-b05)

I only tested this on NWS radar, NOT on the sites that others were having problems with in FF, sorry.

That all.

David H

Peter Creasey
November 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
FWIW old JRE 5 update 14

David, How do you do your install? Do you just let it install over the prior version or do you somehow uninstall the old version first? If so, how do you do the uninstall?

Thanks!

davidh
November 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
David, How do you do your install? Do you just let it install over the prior version or do you somehow uninstall the old version first? If so, how do you do the uninstall?

Thanks!

In this particular case, I downloaded the complete 12+MB install program and installed right over the earlier update 13 b05 (I think) of JRE 5.

I remember once in the past on some system, forget if 98 or XP, I had several different JRE versions installed or partly installed, I think. In that case I uninstalled as much as I could of all versions using the control panel. I may also have had to do some manual folder erasure too, don't remember exactly.

However today, I only had just JRE 5 and installed update 14 right on top of update 13.

As I said before I don't know which other versions of Windows that this JRE update is good for. XP has been around for quite a while, so chances are good that JRE 5 would work with XP.

David H

Lindsey
November 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM
XP has been around for quite a while, so chances are good that JRE 5 would work with XP.
Not necessarily; Windows 98 and Windows XP are in different Windows "families". Win98 and Windows ME are part of the Windows 95 family; XP is part of the Windows NT family. Sometimes programs will run on an OS from either family, but sometimes (as, for example, with the CompuServe software) the NT and 95 families require different versions. Just depends on how the software interacts with the operating system, and I would think the lower the level at which it interacts, the more likely it is that what runs on Win98 is not going to run on XP.

--Lindsey

davidh
November 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
The archive of old Sun products is here:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

JRE 5 update 13 is there, but not update 14, of course.

Problem is I couldn't find System Requirements. Sometimes this state of affairs could mean "don't care". Sometimes NOT.

I think I remember upgrading from some JRE 5 to some JRE 6 on my sister's XP, but I won't guarantee it :(

One can still pray to God or to TPTB that at least the install will check the OS BEFORE going ahead :rolleyes:

David H

Judy G. Russell
November 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
One can still pray to God or to TPTB that at least the install will check the OS BEFORE going ahead :rolleyes:One can also have a good, thorough, up-to-date backup of one's system...

Peter Creasey
November 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
JRE 5 update 14

David, I was told that I should upgrade to Java TM Se Runtime Environment 6 Update 3.

Can anyone say what the difference is, if any, between this and what you highlight other than different versions?

Thanks!

davidh
November 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
David, I was told that I should upgrade to Java TM Se Runtime Environment 6 Update 3.

Can anyone say what the difference is, if any, between this and what you highlight other than different versions?

Thanks! I am not sure about what I am saying now. But the only reason I mentioned the update of JRE 5 was that some people had mentioned that one of the latest updates of JRE 6 was causing problems for Firefox. That's all.

Here's the thread http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5638 Java (JRE) update patch

If the cited JRE 5 patch works on your OS, and if JRE 6 update xxx causes problem on FF for you then JRE 5 might be the way to go until JRE 6 is fixed for FF, because AFAIK JRE 5 update 14 probably has the latest critical security patches.

David H.

Peter Creasey
November 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
one of the latest updates of JRE 6 was causing problems for Firefox.

David, I went on and uninstalled all of the old versions of Java then installed Java TM Se Runtime Enivronment 6 Update 3.

Thus far, testing indicates this version is working fine with my SeaMonkey 1.1.6.