PDA

View Full Version : Sick babies!!!

Judy G. Russell
October 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'm beginning to understand how a new parent feels the first time the baby comes down with a cold... Both of my new kitties are down with what is most likely a very common bacterial infection that affects the eyes. Ciara had had a touch of it before I adopted her, and I wasn't aware that she should have continued on a course of medication for as much as four full weeks to make sure it didn't recur. So both of them now have it. Oral meds twice a day, eye cream three to four times a day. They're active and have decent appetites, but oh... they both are obviously uncomfortable and Clancy occasionally looks downright miserable.

WAAAAAAH!!! Poor babies!!!

Lindsey
October 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
They're active and have decent appetites, but oh... they both are obviously uncomfortable and Clancy occasionally looks downright miserable.
Oh, no! Poor babies indeed! I really feel for them, having very recent experience with what it feels like to be downright miserable...

--Lindsey

Mike
October 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Both of my new kitties are down with what is most likely a very common bacterial infection that affects the eyes.
Awww. Poor kitties.

But I'm most happy that there is a course of treatment. When I first saw that subject line, I'd braced myself for the worst. <whew!>

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Oh, no! Poor babies indeed! I really feel for them, having very recent experience with what it feels like to be downright miserable...Yeah, it sure ain't fun for man nor beast!

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Awww. Poor kitties. But I'm most happy that there is a course of treatment. When I first saw that subject line, I'd braced myself for the worst. <whew!>You shoulda seen me when Clancy's one eye first started showing symptoms. Between holding him in one hand and searching the Internet with the other...! But the vets says they should be fine as long as I get them drugged up for a LOOOOOONG course of antibiotics and eye meds (to prevent recurrence).

Mike Landi
October 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
At least they are little now and easy (or easier) to control. Poor kittens!

I'm glad they are eating. Do they purr? A vet once told me that a sick cat (one that feels sick) won't purr. So, if they are eating, and they purr, they don't feel bad.

At least they have not broken any bones...(see my other post).

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
At least they are little now and easy (or easier) to control. Poor kittens!They are being soooooo good! They don't LIKE being medicated (except that both of them seem to LOVE having me wash their eyes -- it must feel good), but they're basically sitting still, swallowing the medications and letting me put goop in their eyes.

Do they purr? A vet once told me that a sick cat (one that feels sick) won't purr. So, if they are eating, and they purr, they don't feel bad.They both purr like champs, so that does make me feel better.

At least they have not broken any bones...(see my other post).I did. And I feel so sorry for you (when I'm not giggling!). All I can say is, at least you kept your sense of humor (even if not your balance)!

ktinkel
October 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm beginning to understand how a new parent feels the first time the baby comes down with a cold... Both of my new kitties are down with what is most likely a very common bacterial infection that affects the eyes. Ciara had had a touch of it before I adopted her, and I wasn't aware that she should have continued on a course of medication for as much as four full weeks to make sure it didn't recur. So both of them now have it. Oral meds twice a day, eye cream three to four times a day. They're active and have decent appetites, but oh... they both are obviously uncomfortable and Clancy occasionally looks downright miserable.

WAAAAAAH!!! Poor babies!!!Oh, no!

I guess there is a bit of silver lining — they will be used to being handled. But it must be miserable for all of you.

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Oh, no! I guess there is a bit of silver lining — they will be used to being handled. But it must be miserable for all of you.They are getting so used to being handled, poor things. They do seem to be getting better but I really want the vet's opinion tomorrow!

Mike
October 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM
But the vet says they should be fine...
I'm so glad to hear that!

Judy G. Russell
October 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm so glad to hear that!The babies had another vet check-up today. Chests clear, noses clear, eyes and sneezes improving, and where I literally thought they were losing weight, it turns out they're just getting bigger so they look like they're slimming down. The two little food vacuums are up by a pound apiece!

Mike
October 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM
The two little food vacuums are up by a pound apiece!
Excellent. Only 15 more to go until they can throw their weight around. <g>

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Excellent. Only 15 more to go until they can throw their weight around. <g>Tipping the scales at four and five pounds apiece, trust me: they're already throwing their weight around.

At the moment, my 6'4" electrician is here putting in a new phone line and some other stuff. He needed to use the facilities. The kittens are in the bathroom at the moment so I don't have to chase them to medicate them. Guess who had to have me go in first and move the kittens off the toilet seat...

Mike Landi
October 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds like healthy feeling kittens. Do they keep you up at night?

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like healthy feeling kittens. Do they keep you up at night?Not yet. I'm keeping them in one room until they're off the medications so I don't have to chase 'em down to dose 'em. Once they're off the meds, they'll get the run of the house. Then, I expect, I will lose all kinds of things, including sleep.

Pats
October 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
So glad to learn your little kitties are getting better, AND bigger, Judy!

Pats

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM
So glad to learn your little kitties are getting better, AND bigger, Judy!Thanks, Pats! They sure had me scared, but they are doing sooooooo much better. And they are sooooooo funny! She has learned to untie my double-tied sneaker laces and he has decided that the best toy in the world is even better when it's dropped into a dry bathtub so that it echoes even louder while he chases it.

Mike
October 17th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Guess who had to have me go in first and move the kittens off the toilet seat...
LOL!

Pats
October 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Judy, do you have pictures of them? Oh, silly question, of course you do. Where are they so I can look at them?

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Judy, do you have pictures of them? Oh, silly question, of course you do. Where are they so I can look at them?You're right, of course I do. They're here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/baby_pictures).

Mike
October 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM
They have to heal. Then one of them will need a change of clothes, so that after it grows up...

Mike Landi
October 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
You're right, of course I do. They're here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/baby_pictures).

Those are carbon copy clones of my two. Wow!.....

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
They have to heal. Then one of them will need a change of clothes, so that after it grows up...I would never condemn one of my babies to a life like that!!! Then again either of them could do a better job than the current occupant of that particular residence...

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Those are carbon copy clones of my two. Wow!.....I hope these two grow up to be as sweet as yours. Ciara is so feisty, it's amazing. And then when her energy runs out, she will suddenly flop down on my lap and start purring up a storm. Clancy is still just a tad skittish when you reach for him, but gentle? Oh my... he is so amazingly gentle. To medicate them, I have to give each of them an eyedropper full of a liquid, then wash their eyes to remove any crud and then put drops in their eyes. She squirms and squeaks (she doesn't quite meow... she squeaks), and he sits there like the sweetest gentlest thing you've ever seen.

Mike Landi
October 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Mine used to squeak....until I fed them. Now, they "MOWWW". Not ME-OW, just MOW. (as in "OW" with the "M")

Do you slip their claws? If you don't, start doing it now so they get used to it. You don't want to be teaching a full grown cat that you are going to be expressing their claws on a regular basis.

Pats
October 18th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Oh, how SWEEEEEEEETTT!!!!!

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Mine used to squeak....until I fed them. Now, they "MOWWW". Not ME-OW, just MOW. (as in "OW" with the "M")Clancy is starting to do something approaching a meow or mow, but Ciara just squeaks. I figure that's going to end up as her nickname: Squeaks.

Do you slip their claws? If you don't, start doing it now so they get used to it. You don't want to be teaching a full grown cat that you are going to be expressing their claws on a regular basis.I haven't yet -- the vet has done it twice. I probably should start handling their paws every time I hold them just so they get used to the whole thing.

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Oh, how SWEEEEEEEETTT!!!!!Aren't they just? They can be wild as march hares but such fun to watch!

Mike
October 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM
...either of them could do a better job than the current occupant of that particular residence...
My point exactly.

Mike Landi
October 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Clancy is starting to do something approaching a meow or mow, but Ciara just squeaks. I figure that's going to end up as her nickname: Squeaks.

I haven't yet -- the vet has done it twice. I probably should start handling their paws every time I hold them just so they get used to the whole thing.

Do it. We resisted doing it because the cats squealed when we first started. It was a two person job just to hold them down.

Now, they meow, but do not struggle. We've gotten them used to it, and as a result we have not had to get them declawed.

I did have to build a tall scratching post for them, and to my surprise, they quickly figured out that the scratching post was there's.

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Do it. We resisted doing it because the cats squealed when we first started. It was a two person job just to hold them down. Now, they meow, but do not struggle. We've gotten them used to it, and as a result we have not had to get them declawed. I won't declaw them, now that I've done some research into declawing, but I will get them used to having their paws handled. Started last night and both of them tolerated it well. Now I just have to see how well they handle it when I have the clipper in my hand!

I did have to build a tall scratching post for them, and to my surprise, they quickly figured out that the scratching post was there's.Mine absolutely LOVE the inclined scratchers (http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm).

Mike Landi
October 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I won't declaw them, now that I've done some research into declawing, but I will get them used to having their paws handled. Started last night and both of them tolerated it well. Now I just have to see how well they handle it when I have the clipper in my hand!

Mine absolutely LOVE the inclined scratchers (http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm).

I've never seen them before. I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I've never seen them before. I'll have to check those out. Thanks.The best part about them is they're made of cardboard so they're cheap!!