PDA

View Full Version : New babies!

ktinkel
September 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Oh, what a lovely conundrum... not whether there are kittens but which ones!Indeed.

We wait with bated breath to see what you do.

Judy G. Russell
September 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Indeed. We wait with bated breath to see what you do.Wait no longer. Here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/baby_pictures) they are. Roughly 8-9 weeks old, rescued from a feral colony, already tested negative for feline leukemia and feline HIV, and both have already had at least one distemper shot.

I'm still working on names. Rascal and Ruffian are leading the pack at the moment... but Irish names keep coming to mind with that red head who now owns me! (Let's see... Sean and Shannon?)

ktinkel
September 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Wait no longer. Here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/baby_pictures) they are. Roughly 8-9 weeks old, rescued from a feral colony, already tested negative for feline leukemia and feline HIV, and both have already had at least one distemper shot.

I'm still working on names. Rascal and Ruffian are leading the pack at the moment... but Irish names keep coming to mind with that red head who now owns me! (Let's see... Sean and Shannon?)Oooh. Nice. The male looks a lot like our Ernie, who died before you could meet him (last spring). He was an orange tiger, adventurous, confident, with a sinewy, muscular body (very unlike Pi’s — they weighed the same, but she was a marshmallow, and he was a furry muscle!). I adore orange tiger cats (and a lot of other types!)

He’ll let you know what to call him. The grey tiger is also gorgeous. Are they related? And does the orange cat actually have blue eyes?

Judy G. Russell
September 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I adore orange tiger cats (and a lot of other types!)
He’ll let you know what to call him. It may be a little trite, but I think he's a Rusty.

The grey tiger is also gorgeous.She's actually a brown tiger -- it looks a bit grey in the photos, but she's the classic brown tabby.

Are they related? Not littermates, no. But they're both from a single feral colony of about 30 cats, so they're probably kin somehow.

And does the orange cat actually have blue eyes?No, the light just makes them look a bit blue. They're really green.

I'll attach close-ups that should make the coloring more apparent.

ktinkel
September 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
It may be a little trite, but I think he's a Rusty.Why not then? (I don’t think I have ever known a cat named Rusty. A dog, once. But no cats. So not too trite.)

She's actually a brown tiger -- it looks a bit grey in the photos, but she's the classic brown tabby.Ah. Sounds great. I love her face.

No, the light just makes them look a bit blue. They're really green.

I'll attach close-ups that should make the coloring more apparent.That’s what I figured.

How did they manage their first night? (How did you?)

Judy G. Russell
September 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I don’t think I have ever known a cat named Rusty. A dog, once. But no cats. So not too trite.I think I'm set on the names as of this morning. He's Clancy ("red" in Gaelic), she's Ciara (pronounced Keer-uh, "dark" in Gaelic).

How did they manage their first night? (How did you?)They're really too little to have the run of the house just yet so I started them out overnight in the bathroom. I left the cat carrier (cage door off) in with them along with a kitty bed, plus food and water (and of course the requisite litter box!). They both purred up a storm on my lap before I said goodnight (leaving a night light on...), and didn't do more than eat, poop and sleep as far as I can tell! I of course slept peacefully down the hall.

The next few days and even weeks, as I let them have more and more freedom around the house, will be far more interesting. Not that it hasn't been interesting... I have spent most of the day today either buying kitty toys and food, or playing with the kitties, or just sitting and watching them...

Jeff
September 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
What means "feral colony"?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
September 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
What means "feral colony"?A large number of untamed cats living together in one area. In this case, the colony is probably 30-40 cats. They're too wild if caught as adults to ever be "tamed" into housecats, so in many towns, the rescue groups try to trap the cats, have them neutered and then return them to the colony (which, at least in theory, should then eventually die out). In the town where this colony is, they have an ordinance against TNR (trap neuter return). So if they're caught, they're usually just put down.

ktinkel
September 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Oooh — I like Clancy.

Not sure about Ciara, mainly because people will want to mispronounce it and you will have to correct them. Not a reason against it, really, but I like to be sure the people at the vet’s and others who need to come in contact with an animal at times of stress get the name right.

Judy G. Russell
September 30th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Oooh — I like Clancy.

Not sure about Ciara, mainly because people will want to mispronounce it and you will have to correct them. Not a reason against it, really, but I like to be sure the people at the vet’s and others who need to come in contact with an animal at times of stress get the name right.I can always have them put the English-alternate spelling (Kira) on their records as well. And my kitty sitter is already calling her KEER-uh so I'm good there.

ktinkel
September 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I can always have them put the English-alternate spelling (Kira) on their records as well. And my kitty sitter is already calling her KEER-uh so I'm good there.Oh, well, then. It should be fine.

Judy G. Russell
September 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Oh, well, then. It should be fine.It better be. I hope to call her that for at least the next 15-17 years!

Pats
October 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
They're darling!

Congratulations, Judy, Clancy, and Ciara!

Pat and cats

Mike Landi
October 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Wait no longer. Here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/baby_pictures) they are. Roughly 8-9 weeks old, rescued from a feral colony, already tested negative for feline leukemia and feline HIV, and both have already had at least one distemper shot.

I'm still working on names. Rascal and Ruffian are leading the pack at the moment... but Irish names keep coming to mind with that red head who now owns me! (Let's see... Sean and Shannon?)

OMG.....

You have clones/twins/mirror images of my two. They look like my Scotty and Ashley. This is frightening.....

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mike/Desktop/IMG_3095-1.jpg

Judy G. Russell
October 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
They're darling! Congratulations, Judy, Clancy, and Ciara!
Thanks, Pat and cats! I'm having sooooo much fun just watching these guys!

Judy G. Russell
October 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
OMG..... You have clones/twins/mirror images of my two. They look like my Scotty and Ashley. This is frightening.....ROFL!!!! Good grief, they DO look alike, don't they? What do yours look like now???

Mike Landi
October 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
The picture of Ashely is not the best, but it shows what she looks like.

The picture of 'The King' is accurate...at least when he is not attacking his sister.

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
The picture of Ashely is not the best, but it shows what she looks like. The picture of 'The King' is accurate...at least when he is not attacking his sister.Gads, they're gorgeous. If these two grow into adults that are half as pretty, I'll be happy... and the sooner they get out of the "let's climb the leg with our needle sharp claws" stage the better!

Mike
October 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Gorgeous. What lovely cats to be owned by! May you have many happy years together.

Mike Landi
October 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Gorgeous. What lovely cats to be owned by! May you have many happy years together.

Thanks. I serve at the pleasure of the King and his Duchess.

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Gorgeous. What lovely cats to be owned by! May you have many happy years together.Eerie, isn't it, how much Mike's cats and my kittens look alike? They're all gorgeous.

Mike
October 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I serve at the pleasure of the King...
You may rise.

There is yardwork to be done.

Mike
October 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Eerie, isn't it, how much Mike's cats and my kittens look alike?
They are indeed.

Brent's making noises about getting pets. I told him we could after the place in Sacramento is done. He's leaning toward a dog right now, but I think we can get a dog and a cat. <g>

Judy G. Russell
October 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Brent's making noises about getting pets. I told him we could after the place in Sacramento is done. He's leaning toward a dog right now, but I think we can get a dog and a cat. <g>Absolutely! Get 'em as puppy and kitten and they'll be -- if not buddies, then at least not at each other's throats all the time!

ndebord
October 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Eerie, isn't it, how much Mike's cats and my kittens look alike? They're all gorgeous.

Judy,

Congrats. Three of my Aunts all had cats (two by two) over the years and once, light years ago in Hartford, CT., I too had two cats. The only way to go!

<VBG>

Judy G. Russell
October 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Congrats. Three of my Aunts all had cats (two by two) over the years and once, light years ago in Hartford, CT., I too had two cats. The only way to go! <VBG>Thanks, Nick! These babies are such fun to watch. They probably won't be quite as much fun when they "graduate" to having the run of the house and decide to dance on my head at 3 a.m. but... (they've just been given the run of a large bedroom after having been in the bathroom for a week).

Mike Landi
October 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
You may rise.

There is yardwork to be done.

Yard? What's a yard? They don't care about that stuff. There is a food bowl to fill!

Mike
October 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Yard? What's a yard? They don't care about that stuff. There is a food bowl to fill!
They may not care, but the other King does.

Mike Landi
October 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
You mean "She Who Must Be Obeyed"? <g>