PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from an old sysop

chrishays
July 1st, 2005, 10:53 PM
I recognized Judy's name.. it has been a long time. I was co-wiz of the Broadcast Professional Forum with the late John Hoffman.

This evening I was accessing my old pay as you go 2.50/month mailbox (which I keep primarily for CIS or USENET access when I'm overseas). I was using it to generate an email that would not be in my permissive spam filter for test purposes (yeah I'm still a geek at heart). I had not done any mail there for a long time, and there in the middle of ALL the spam, a message stood out: it was the announcement of the closing of the Tapcis forum on Compuserve.

Lets just say it tickled some pleasant memory cells, and when I got here and read the tribute to Howard, even more memories came forward.

The internet is a marvelous place, but there was a price paid for the ultra cheap web based network: the noise level rose to a level where now we are buying programs to keep stuff out, rather than programs to let things in (like Tapcis). There has been a loss of what for lack of a better word I'll call intimacy.

It is remarkable that you all have come here long after the original stated purpose (was that the REAL purpose?) has gone.

Thanks for the memories, and the homecoming. It really feals a little like that!

Chris Hays

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Hiya, Chris! Glad to see you here. Let me know if you want access to the private sections (*Section and *For Members Only).

fhaber
July 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hey, Chris.

MollyM/CA
July 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
There has been a loss of what for lack of a better word I'll call intimacy.

Seems a plenty good enough word to me.

Though perhaps the feeling of seclusion one got reading messages stored in one's own private HD domain (for lack of a better word) was a bit misleading in a Web-based world. We may be more private here even though it has a more exposed feeling, with our watchdogs to bite the ankles of intruders.

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
We may be more private here even though it has a more exposed feeling, with our watchdogs to bite the ankles of intruders.
Just keep in mind the difference between the Open Forums here (including this section) and the For Members Only sections. The former can be read by anyone who takes the trouble to register. The latter are open only to those who are vetted by the current membership.

Guerri Stevens
July 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Just keep in mind the difference between the Open Forums here (including this section) and the For Members Only sections. The former can be read by anyone who takes the trouble to register. The latter are open only to those who are vetted by the current membership.

Are you sure that an unregistered person cannot read messages? I am not positive, but I thought I could read messages without logging in. And if I don't log in, wouldn't I be an ordinary guest, i.e. not recognized as registered? I know I cannot post messages under that condition, but I think I can read them in the public "sections".

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I think you're right. IOW, only members-only sections are "protected".