PDA

View Full Version : Sigh... running water even!

Judy G. Russell
September 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
It is truly, absolutely, unbelievably amazing how much better life can be with kitchen cabinets and countertops and a sink and... <gasp!> ... running water even!

Getting there... getting there. Not there yet, but getting there!

Mike
September 8th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Not there yet, but getting there!
I know the feeling. Believe me, I know the feeling!

Dan in Saint Louis
September 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Getting there... getting there. Not there yet, but getting there!
I hope that receptacle is protected by GFCI. Actually, I hope your entire kitchen is!

Judy G. Russell
September 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I know the feeling. Believe me, I know the feeling!I know you do.

I'm really starting to believe this is going to end (eventually, some day). I called my house cleaning service yesterday and have them coming in twice next week -- once for the downstairs rooms and once for upstairs. (I've already alerted them that I may do this twice-to-get-both-floors bit once more too.)

Then I called the floor guy and he is now scheduled to do the dining room floor on Tuesday the 18th and the living room floor on Friday the 21st. By that weekend, I hope the worst of this whole nightmare will be behind me!

Judy G. Russell
September 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I hope that receptacle is protected by GFCI. Actually, I hope your entire kitchen is!Yep, has to be to pass inspection.

ktinkel
September 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM
It is truly, absolutely, unbelievably amazing how much better life can be with kitchen cabinets and countertops and a sink and... <gasp!> ... running water even!

Getting there... getting there. Not there yet, but getting there!Looking good!

Mike
September 9th, 2007, 01:51 AM
...Friday the 21st. By that weekend, I hope the worst of this whole nightmare will be behind me!
And six months from now, you won't even remember the day-to-day details, just that you like the new kitchen.

Judy G. Russell
September 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
And six months from now, you won't even remember the day-to-day details, just that you like the new kitchen.I have a sneaking suspicion it may take a bit more than six months! (I haven't yet forgiven my uncle Mike for leaving me behind when he took my sister and a cousin to the movies. I was four at the time.)

Mike
September 10th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion it may take a bit more than six months!
Things that lead to a happy ending lead to forgetting the rocky road for the journey.

I've already forgotten many of the details that led to the finished kitchen at our condo in Sacramento.

I promised to (re-)post pictures of it. Here they are. If you want before or during shots, let me know.

Lindsey
September 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Things that lead to a happy ending lead to forgetting the rocky road for the journey.
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about forgetting the ice cream...

--Lindsey

Mike
September 11th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I promised to (re-)post pictures of it. Here they are. If you want before or during shots, let me know.
Hmmm... W(here)TF did they go? I did attach them.

Lindsey
September 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hmmm... W(here)TF did they go? I did attach them.
Gettin' old, Mike...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Hmmm... W(here)TF did they go? I did attach them.I don't see 'em...

Mike
September 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Gettin' old, Mike...
Seriously, I did attach four photos of our new kitchen in our rental condo.

Maybe the four together caused a problem for the forum. So here are two, and I'll attach the othter two to a reply to Judy.

Mike
September 12th, 2007, 12:53 AM
So here are two, and I'll attach the othter two to a reply to Judy.
Hmmmm. They did not get attached.

Here's what I'm doing. After I type the text of my message, I scroll in the page and click on the "Manage Attachments" button.

That opens a dialog box. In the "Upload File from your Computer" box, I click the "Browse..." button, and navigate to the file I want to upload. After choosing the file, its path and name are in the text box, and I click "Upload."

OIC. It's telling me this:

You have already attached this file in thread : Terror in the doorways (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276)

So I did already attach them... some time ago!

Mike
September 12th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I don't see 'em...
Go check the Terror in the doorways (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276) thread. The forum is smart enough not to let me upload the same file into multiple threads. I thought I'd uploaded them a long time ago, and the forum thinks so, too.

Yup, there they are.

Lindsey
September 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
You have already attached this file in thread : Terror in the doorways (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276)
Aha! Yes, I've had that happen, too. Interesting feature, that!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Go check the Terror in the doorways (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276) thread. The forum is smart enough not to let me upload the same file into multiple threads. I thought I'd uploaded them a long time ago, and the forum thinks so, too.I am impressed -- by the photos and by the smarts of the software!

Mike
September 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM
<beaming> Thanks! Now we just have to get the place finished (painting the living room, adding baseboards, cleaning the yard) so we can rent it before winter!

Judy G. Russell
September 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Now we just have to get the place finished (painting the living room, adding baseboards, cleaning the yard) so we can rent it before winter!Sigh... housework is never done. As soon as you get it rented, something will break requiring the landlords' attention, I'm sure. (Hmmm... that's awfully negative. Might be from the fact that my idiot contractor decided to ask me if I wanted two different sizes of molding around two adjacent doors... different heights AND different widths. WTF???)

Mike
September 24th, 2007, 02:33 AM
As soon as you get it rented, something will break requiring the landlords' attention, I'm sure.
Nah.

Something will break in one of the other properties.

...my idiot contractor decided to ask me if I wanted two different sizes of molding around two adjacent doors... different heights AND different widths. WTF???)
WTF? indeed! What was he smoking?

Sounds like the handyman, Kenny, we've been hiring for our house (the one we live in). We had to go to Sacramento this weekend, and Brent figured the handyman should hook up our dishwasher while we were gone. I convinced him that Kenny only should cut out the cabinets where the dishwasher should go, and the installation should wait until we return and can supervise. Brent finally agreed. (My suggestion stems from the fact that Kenny [a] takes shortcuts and [b] often will do what he thinks you should have told him, rather than what you actually did tell him.) However, Kenny had already started installing before we got home, and he didn't have it aligned how we wanted it. A project that only took Brent and me about four hours in the condo took twice as long for Kenny to do, yet when Brent and I did it, it was our first time, and Kenny claims he had done this many times over.

Brent finally has realized that Kenny needs constant supervision, otherwise, we'll get what Kenny wants instead of what we want.

Judy G. Russell
September 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Brent finally has realized that Kenny needs constant supervision, otherwise, we'll get what Kenny wants instead of what we want.It seems like this is the case with all too many workmen these days. Your Kenny sounds like my Keith.

But my very quiet very tempered "if things aren't done by the end of next week [i.e. by this coming Friday] to my satisfaction, we're going to have to start talking financial penalties" did the trick. They were here most of Saturday and every time I turned around, it was "is this okay? do you like this?", and they're here again today. Almost... almost almost almost... almost done.

Mike
September 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM
"...we're going to have to start talking financial penalties"
That seems to get their attention!

Judy G. Russell
September 25th, 2007, 09:12 PM
That seems to get their attention!It certainly did in this case. Final inspection is tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Mike
September 26th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Keep your fingers crossed!
Fingers, toes, and unmentionables crossed. <ouch!>

Did I tell you that we've started requesting fixed-price bids from our handyman, instead of his hourly rate? He does work faster, but now we don't care so much. <g>

Judy G. Russell
September 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Did I tell you that we've started requesting fixed-price bids from our handyman, instead of his hourly rate? He does work faster, but now we don't care so much. <g>Let me tell you ... if this guy had been working on anything remotely resembling an hourly rate, I would have killed him long before now.