PDA

View Full Version : WiFi settings in XP

ndebord
August 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Running WiFi in XP is certainly different than in W98se. I've got a wireless router in the back office with a DSL connection and on my Thinkpad a wifi card. Got the WEP key and all should be well. However the connection roams to whatever is available in the neighborhood.

Is there a way to set it up differently? Not sure what other possibilties there are. But perhaps setting up the desktop and the laptop to work directly together somehow?

Newbie question I know.

<wry grin>

Dan in Saint Louis
August 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
However the connection roams to whatever is available in the neighborhood.
(Working from memory) Try "Control Panel, Network, {that connection} Properties, Wireless Networks tab" and change the order of preferred networks. It should then only look down the list if your preferred network is not in range - thus leaving you free to still connect at coffee shops, etc.

[EDIT] It looks like you can get to the same place by right-clicking the WiFi icon in the System Tray, choose "View available ..., Change the order ..."

ndebord
August 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
(Working from memory) Try "Control Panel, Network, {that connection} Properties, Wireless Networks tab" and change the order of preferred networks. It should then only look down the list if your preferred network is not in range - thus leaving you free to still connect at coffee shops, etc.

[EDIT] It looks like you can get to the same place by right-clicking the WiFi icon in the System Tray, choose "View available ..., Change the order ..."

Dan,

Did that, but somehow it seems to pick up new sites and rotate between them. Why I'm not sure. Perhaps low connection? OR? MR BILL's nonsense. Wonder if their is a utilty that will Freeze your connection to one particular available wifi site (in my case at my new restaurant that would be my wireless networked desktop with a DSL connection). I can and do use my SIM card on a radio modem pcmcia card for semi-high speed connections instead as this behavior results in broken connections a lot and sometimes no ability to connect at all.

Perhaps there is a peer to peer or something (don't know what I'm saying here) kind of setting I need to set up on both the desktop and my laptop?

<weak grin>

fhaber
August 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Presumably your desktop connects via an access point (wireless router). If so, you can ignore the desktop's settings, unless you have an access point that doesn't like simultaneous B and G connections. There are many of these out there.

Another point of confusion is the conflict between IBM's compendium "connection manager" and XP's wireless manager. Use one or the other.

If you go with Redmond's suite, that Client Update I mentioned earlier will help.

ndebord
August 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Presumably your desktop connects via an access point (wireless router). If so, you can ignore the desktop's settings, unless you have an access point that doesn't like simultaneous B and G connections. There are many of these out there.

Another point of confusion is the conflict between IBM's compendium "connection manager" and XP's wireless manager. Use one or the other.

If you go with Redmond's suite, that Client Update I mentioned earlier will help.

Frank,

Yes, I do believe my desktop does access point. However when I try to use the thinkpads'IBM Wifi (b) connection (and it comes up with both the IBM connectoid and MR BILLS), it doesn't recognize that. It sets me up for connect to any available network. And that seemingly roams or rather it works on one, disconnects, then connects to another.

fhaber
August 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
We're at a nominatve contretemps here. In English (stop slapping me, Lindsey) we need to clarify terminology.

An access point is both a hunk of hardware and the usual way wireless clients connect.

o The alternate structural way to go wireless is point to point. It's harder to secure, and only two peers can play at a time.

o The "access point" hardware is now usually inside your wireless router. In the enterprise, you still have a separate (e.g. Cisco) access point or mesh of many access points, and routing is done elsewhere.

If the IBM client is acting up, and other wireless clients can connect in the same spot, it's probably time to call IBM. If you have a spare .b PC card, you could disable the PCIE internal one and eliminate hardware as being the problem.

But first, I'd try setting the router (OK, access point) to B only.

ndebord
August 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
We're at a nominatve contretemps here. In English (stop slapping me, Lindsey) we need to clarify terminology.

An access point is both a hunk of hardware and the usual way wireless clients connect.

o The alternate structural way to go wireless is point to point. It's harder to secure, and only two peers can play at a time.

o The "access point" hardware is now usually inside your wireless router. In the enterprise, you still have a separate (e.g. Cisco) access point or mesh of many access points, and routing is done elsewhere.

If the IBM client is acting up, and other wireless clients can connect in the same spot, it's probably time to call IBM. If you have a spare .b PC card, you could disable the PCIE internal one and eliminate hardware as being the problem.

But first, I'd try setting the router (OK, access point) to B only.

Frank,

I actually think I (now) understand what you are telling me. <weak grin>

Let me give it a try tomorrow and I'll get back to you with my tale.

Tks!

Dan in Saint Louis
August 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Did that, but somehow it seems to pick up new sites and rotate between them.
Under "Wireless Network Connection, Properties, Wireless Networks, Preferred Networks" I see an "Automatically connect to..." list that has only one entry. If that site is not available, other nets may pop up but connection would not be automatic.
Why I'm not sure. Perhaps low connection?That is most common reason for failure to connect. Microwave ovens are known to blitz WiFi, as are some frequencies (2.4 GHz) of cordless phones. If you use a microwave in the restaurant, be sure the door seals are clean and seal evenly to the frame. You are probably using Channel 6 (set on the WiFi router), try 1 or 11.
Perhaps there is a peer to peer or somethingStick with "Access Point" configuration, "Ad Hoc" (peer-to-peer) will only confuse the issue.