PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Dan in Saint Louis
June 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Google Earth is Google's implementation of the Keyhole data base and display program it bought some time back. It was announced just a day or two ago, so the servers are getting hammered right now, but if you want to try it:

http://earth.google.com

http://earth.google.com/images/grandcanyon.jpg

Judy G. Russell
June 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
RATS! I wasn't fast enough and they closed it down to new users.

Dick K
June 30th, 2005, 09:01 PM
RATS! I wasn't fast enough and they closed it down to new users.
Judy -

They must have reopened it. I just downloaded it about ten minutes ago....

Judy G. Russell
June 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
They must have reopened it. I just downloaded it about ten minutes ago....
Got it this time, Dick! Thanks!

Judy G. Russell
June 30th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Oh this is FUN. It can't find my office building in Newark (but I can) and it still thinks my house is on the wrong side of the street (something I may appreciate as some of the very bad boys I once put in prison are getting out these days), but it is waaaaaaay cool.

Mike
July 1st, 2005, 01:32 AM
How does it differ from choosing the "satellite" link on Google maps?

Mike
July 1st, 2005, 01:34 AM
And at the moment, it's closed again, with a nice message explaining how Google is building out servers, so downloads aren't always available, but please check back.

Judy G. Russell
July 1st, 2005, 09:01 AM
I think that message may pop up automatically when their servers get loaded. Try again!

Judy G. Russell
July 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM
How does it differ from choosing the "satellite" link on Google maps?
Among other things, you can zoom in closer and there are more options.

Jeff
July 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Got it this time, Dick! Thanks!

Three times no go for me. I guess I'll just keep trying. Dan's picture is one hell of a tease!<g>

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 1st, 2005, 12:24 PM
I think they close their servers every time the load gets heavy. Worst case scenario, I'll upload it to tapcis.com later.

Jeff
July 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
I think they close their servers every time the load gets heavy. Worst case scenario, I'll upload it to tapcis.com later.

When you get a chance, please do. 6 for 0 for me so far.

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
July 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
When you get a chance, please do. 6 for 0 for me so far.

- Jeff

Jeff, did my PM arrive?

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 03:37 PM
Try here (http://www.tapcis.com/Files/GoogleEarth.exe) (right-click, choose Save As or Save Link As). (Note: 10.5 Mb download).

Mike
July 2nd, 2005, 03:39 PM
I guess I'll have to check it out. How obnoxious is the installer?

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Not at all, in my experience. It installed quickly and without squawking about anything.

fhaber
July 2nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Good host, this. 6MB/sec, steady (g).

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Glad to hear it!

fhaber
July 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Did I say thanks? Thanks (g).

Wow, what a way to stress your video! I trust you'll forgive me while I test for leaks and crash every computer around here with 3D this 'n that flyovers. Try SF. It's not rendered yet, but - what a general stability test for your machine and net pipe! It's a flight sim in semi-realtime.

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 10:41 PM
This computer -- with 1Gb RAM and tons of video RAM -- is just dandy with the program. Thank heavens...

Jeff
July 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Jeff, did my PM arrive?

Yeah Dan it did, and thanks much. But I'm so new to this brave new world that I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Meanwhile with both you and Judy offering dl sites Google shaped up and I got it from there just now. It is bloody amazing. The crosshairs miss my little house in this tiny town way out in the western boonies by less than a quarter of a block. Or maybe that's intentional so as to not cover my house..<g>

Once in position I wish I could make the crosshairs go away, and I wish I didn't need to turn off the taskbar to reach all of the control buttons on the bottom, but... it's still bloody amazing!

- Jeff

Jeff
July 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Try here (http://www.tapcis.com/Files/GoogleEarth.exe) (right-click, choose Save As or Save Link As). (Note: 10.5 Mb download).

Thanks. What I told Dan. I love this 4 meg cable broadband. One minute two second dl, and wireless as well. That is one amazing pgm, and I know what I'll be doing for the next few days.

- Jeff

chm
July 3rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
I love it, Dan. It's like a magic carpet ride.

I now have a .jpg of the aerial view of the house I grew up in. I sent it to my dad, he got excited, is now trying to get into Google Earth himself.

I also have a placemark on the very room I am "speaking" from, which is truly weird-feeling. I can see myself seeing myself.

A wonderful toy - also potentially very useful.

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
July 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
I know what I'll be doing for the next few days.
Ah, time sinks... doncha love 'em?

Jeff
July 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Ah, time sinks... doncha love 'em?

Sure do. I'm retired, doncha know, and with my new broadband and a bottle of Colorado Cabernet... why it's even better than chocolate!

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
why it's even better than chocolate!
Now, now. Let's not overstate the case!

Lindsey
July 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
while I test for leaks and crash every computer around here with 3D this 'n that flyovers.
LOL!! You're the anti-pilot, Frank: you're always trying to crash things!

--Lindsey

davidh
July 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Now, now. Let's not overstate the case!

I'm afraid to try it, but anybody ever mix cocoa powder with beer, wine, or liquor to get a good drink?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Well, there are things like Godiva chocolate liqueur... Excuse me. I have to leave now. I'm drooling on the keyboard again.

Mike
July 7th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Not at all, in my experience. It installed quickly and without squawking about anything.
Finally got it downloaded. It's late now <yawn!>, but I'll install it tomorrow.

Er, today.

Judy G. Russell
July 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Whenever you get around to it, it'll be fun.

Jeff
July 8th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Google Earth is Google's implementation of the Keyhole data base and display program it bought some time back.

http://earth.google.com/images/grandcanyon.jpg

Ah, so that is the Grand Canyon. How did you find it? I haven't been able too, or any of the other national parks for that matter.

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
July 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Ah, so that is the Grand Canyon. How did you find it?
A couple of ways.

One is to click on the "Keyhole Community BBS" layer near the lower left. As you begin to zoom in on an area near the object of interest, place markers created by other Keyhole users will begin to appear.

"Grand Canyon" in the "Search" field helped. So did "Parks/Recreation Areas" in the "Layers" menu.

If all else fails, click "Help, Google Earth BBS" and do a search there.

Meanwhile, the view around Bright Angel Canyon is pretty good. You can rotate the direction and cruise up Bright Angel a bit if you want to explore. You will have to rename the attached file so it has a KMZ extension, as KMZ is not among the permitted extensions here.

Judy G. Russell
July 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Is KMZ the extension for these Google maps, Dan? If so, we can add it!

Dan in Saint Louis
July 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Is KMZ the extension for these Google maps, Dan? If so, we can add it!KMZ files are the instructions to GoogleEarth to display a certain latitude, longitude, altitude, rotation and tilt. Actually there is a lot more that can be added, like overlays and links to Web pages, but I'm still learning!

Judy G. Russell
July 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I figured out how to add my own pinpoint info!

Dick K
July 9th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I figured out how to add my own pinpoint info!
Did you also notice that if Google Earth mislocates an address (say, the wrong side of the street or a couple of houses down the block), you can Edit their selection, move it to the right place, and save it in My Places!

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I haven't noticed that, but frankly I like the fact that they have my house a bit off on their maps. The very baddest of the bad boys I prosecuted are now getting out of prison and...

Jeff
July 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
A couple of ways.

One is to click on the "Keyhole Community BBS" layer near the lower left. As you begin to zoom in on an area near the object of interest, place markers created by other Keyhole users will begin to appear.

"Grand Canyon" in the "Search" field helped. So did "Parks/Recreation Areas" in the "Layers" menu.

If all else fails, click "Help, Google Earth BBS" and do a search there.

Meanwhile, the view around Bright Angel Canyon is pretty good. You can rotate the direction and cruise up Bright Angel a bit if you want to explore. You will have to rename the attached file so it has a KMZ extension, as KMZ is not among the permitted extensions here.

Damn, that half a k picture is right impressive. But I still don't get it, I guess. For me a search on 'grand canyon' dumps me into the middle of Kansas every time, and I can't seem to get "Layers" to do anything.

- Jeff

Well now. If I start with your picture and search for 'grand canyon' I go there. If I don't I'm back in Kansas.

Dan in Saint Louis
July 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Damn, that half a k picture is right impressive.Sort of the "ultimate compression", isn't it? Give the coordinates instead of the actual pixels.
For me a search on 'grand canyon' dumps me into the middle of Kansas every time, and I can't seem to get "Layers" to do anything.I have noticed that the "Search" feature is not soup yet. To their credit, Google does call this a beta test.

To keep the screen from being solid placemarks, the Layers fade in and out at different resolutions. It seems to be best to start somewhere near your goal, and zoom in and out until see something familiar. Or just open the Keyhole BBS and search the message base there.

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Search for Tusayan AZ then scroll north.

Lindsey
July 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Well now. If I start with your picture and search for 'grand canyon' I go there. If I don't I'm back in Kansas.
What's the matter with Kansas? (http://www.henryholt.com/holt/whatsthematter.htm) :p

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
July 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Google EarthI have uploaded a few fun placemarks to http://landiss.com/kmz/

Jeff
July 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Search for Tusayan AZ then scroll north.

Good lord, there is such a place. I was correcting the spelling to Tucson, which is about as far away from the Canyon as you can get and still be in AZ. It is becoming fascinating what can be easily found, and what cannot.

- Jeff

Jeff
July 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I have uploaded a few fun placemarks to http://landiss.com/kmz/

How did you do all of that? You found a 30 hour day or something? Meanwhile, they all say .KMZ, but IE says they're all .ZIP and wants to dl them.

- Jeff

Jeff
July 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM
What's the matter with Kansas? (http://www.henryholt.com/holt/whatsthematter.htm) :p

--Lindsey

Woof!

Dan in Saint Louis
July 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM
IE says they're all .ZIP and wants to dl them.Strange, they work fine in a REAL browser<G, D & R>!

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Good lord, there is such a place. I was correcting the spelling to Tucson, which is about as far away from the Canyon as you can get and still be in AZ.
ROFL!! Hey I may not be able to spell much but I'm not THAT bad!