PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad settings

ndebord
July 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
First off, to recap my other post. I was unable to boot up because the XP screen which asked me to enter my newly created password passed by my eyes in a nano second and then the T40 froze at a screen which said XP starting. After several manual reboots (and the subsequent defrag utility running) I finally got into XP and promptly changed my password to NOTHING. Not a good idea I think.

Second, this computer is setup a little differently than I expected from the refurb division of Leveno. They gave me FAT32, not NTFS. I'm ok with this, as I am used to it, but still.

Third, this popup shows up everytime I boot up. It seems as though I need to do something to initialize this computer, but what? (I'm scared to do things as I do NOT have an OEM XP CD or any other CD. Just what is on the hard drive. SIGH.

So I need to figure out what this system preparation tool is and what I should or should not do with it.

System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) prepares a computer's hard disk for delivery to the end user. Additional options are available from the command line.

To skip Windows Welcome or Minni-Setup and configure the installation as scripted in Winborn.ini, click Factory [Factory]

To reboot the computer and manually test the installation, click Audit (available only in Factory mode). [Audit]

To prepare the computer for the end user, click Reseal [Reseal]

Options

[] Don't reset grace period for activation
[] use Mini-Setup
[] Don't regenerate security identifiers
(Greyed Out) [] Detect non-plug and play hardware

Shutdown mode (dialog box) Shut down, Reboot, Quit

fhaber
July 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
1. You need more sleep. Don't touch a thing before you get it.

2. You shouldn't need to touch sysprep. That's for IT departments preparing a disk image for mass use. You were correct. Be afraid.

3. You need an XP CD bad, real bad. Licensing depends on your OEM COA (certificate), which should be on a sticker on the machine. Any IBM OEM XP CD for whatever you have (Home, Pro) should work, read the BIOS, and install without prompts.

4. Lenovo can almost certainly sell you both a nuke CD and the real OEM CD, for $10-40. Tell 'em you bought a refurb.

ndebord
July 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
1. You need more sleep. Don't touch a thing before you get it.

2. You shouldn't need to touch sysprep. That's for IT departments preparing a disk image for mass use. You were correct. Be afraid.

3. You need an XP CD bad, real bad. Licensing depends on your OEM COA (certificate), which should be on a sticker on the machine. Any IBM OEM XP CD for whatever you have (Home, Pro) should work, read the BIOS, and install without prompts.

4. Lenovo can almost certainly sell you both a nuke CD and the real OEM CD, for $10-40. Tell 'em you bought a refurb.

Frank,

Oh-oh. Before reading your message, I talked to Staples rep who transferred me to an IBM rep in Atlanta. Long story short. Had me runs Sysprep. After starting the procedure the guy said that hyphenated word at the start of my post. Asked for an address to send me IBM recovery disks. Told me not to stop the computer until it had finished running this seeminly endless batch file, combo XP startup program. It ran its course, I rebooted and it started over again and that is where it stands right now. Lost some emails and stuff. Nothing irreplacable. Will try again later on and see if the next time I try to boot it, it will finish its routine and give me an XP computer.

SIGH

(running my W98se computer which has given me two blue screens of death before graciously allowing me to obtain a dialup session.)

SIGH

fhaber
July 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Aw, geez, sounds like someone nuked the computer and half-sysprep'd your image. Hell of a way to deliver a machine.

Unless... It's some comic's way to give you a licensed XP. That stuff is supposed to be hidden behind the curtain (of pretty install screens). The executable is supposed to hide itself when it's done (think so, anyway).

Let us pray.

ndebord
July 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Aw, geez, sounds like someone nuked the computer and half-sysprep'd your image. Hell of a way to deliver a machine.

Unless... It's some comic's way to give you a licensed XP. That stuff is supposed to be hidden behind the curtain (of pretty install screens). The executable is supposed to hide itself when it's done (think so, anyway).

Let us pray.

Frank,

Well, it would NOT boot up properly, but two hours ago, DHL showed up with 4 system restore disks and I am now up and running (sans some data that is not irreplacable). Lots to reload though.

I'm up for tweaking this thing and with my newbie status, there are many things I am sure I should be doing that I've not thought of.

(Finally smiling!)

fhaber
July 31st, 2007, 02:14 PM
So, talk to us. What happened?

Oh, BTW, on Thinkpads of this vintage, the initial user setup after a nuke restore sometimes ran a FAT to NTFS conversion after registration. Yes, I'm serious. It's part of that monster BATfile. I didn't believe it the first time I saw it.

ndebord
July 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM
So, talk to us. What happened?

Oh, BTW, on Thinkpads of this vintage, the initial user setup after a nuke restore sometimes ran a FAT to NTFS conversion after registration. Yes, I'm serious. It's part of that monster BATfile. I didn't believe it the first time I saw it.

Frank,

Yup. That is exactly what happened here. But I am up and running O.K. Don't really know what I'm doing, but it all seems to work. Just finished setting up a Bart PE boot disc (which disconnected my wifi B connection to my restaurant's DSL wireless router, but figured out how to get that working once again with help.

I'm running Kerio 2.1.5, S&D and AVG Anti-virus and anti-rootkit (once again).

Lots to learn. Ideas much appreciated.