PDA

View Full Version : This Is Delicious On So Many Levels

Lindsey
July 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM
As you may have seen or heard, the infamous "DC Madam" recently went public with her list of client phone numbers (http://crime.about.com/b/a/257490.htm), and almost within minutes, a national politician, Sen. David Vitter (R-LA), was giving a statement of apology to the press for being one of her clients.

Vitter is not just your typical family-values Southern Republican politician, he is a poster boy for family values. His 2004 campaign ads (http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2007/jul/10/exclusive_vitters_2004_campaign_ads_complete_with_ kids_and_wife_are_unearthed) are dripping with family-and-kids sweetness. He has been an outspoken advocate of "traditional marriage, and only traditional marriage" and abstinence-only sex education programs. In a June 2006 Senate speech (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2007/07/the_sanctity_of_marriage.php) in support of a federal "marriage amendment," he remarked that "a lot of folks here in Washington don't get" the importance of upholding the sanctity of marriage. Hmmm. Must be something in the water there in DC that makes them forget.

But that's not all. Vitter, it turns out, won that seat in the first place after his predecessor, Republican Bob Livingston, one of the most vocal critics of Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky, resigned it in the wake of a sex scandal of his own (http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2007/jul/10/history_lesson_vitter_won_first_election_off_of_pr edecessors_sex_scandal). (Both senators have Larry Flynn and Hustler to thank for the exposure.)

Vitter also serves as the Southern Regional Chairman of Rudy Giuliani's presidential campaign, appointed in part as a bridge to southern social conservatives. Way to pick 'em, Rudy. Almost as good a pick as Thomas Ravenel for South Carolina campaign chairman, recently indicted for dealing coke (and no, I don't mean the Cola).

Best quote (http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/003639.php):

In 2000, Vitter was included in a Newhouse News Service story about the strain of congressional careers on families.

His wife, Wendy, was asked by the Newhouse reporter: If her husband were as unfaithful as Livingston or former President Bill Clinton, would she be as forgiving as Hillary Rodham Clinton?

“I’m a lot more like Lorena Bobbitt than Hillary,” Wendy Vitter told Newhouse News. “If he does something like that, I’m walking away with one thing, and it’s not alimony, trust me.”

“I think fear is a very good motivating factor in a marriage,” she added. “Don’t put fear down.”

I think Sen. Vitter had best put the kitchen knives under lock and key...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think Sen. Vitter had best put the kitchen knives under lock and key...Heh heh heh...

Mike
July 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM
ROFL!

Lindsey
July 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM
One correction: Vitter didn't win the Senate seat from Livingston; Livingston was in the House. Vitter won his House seat in 1999, and then won a Senate seat in 2004.

But I do love that he has been hoist by his own petard. (That sounds vaguely obscene, doesn't it?)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM
But I do love that he has been hoist by his own petard. (That sounds vaguely obscene, doesn't it?)Just wait, says this cynic. He'll do a tearful "I've repented and been born again" bit and his right-wing constituency will look the other way.

Lindsey
July 13th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Just wait, says this cynic. He'll do a tearful "I've repented and been born again" bit and his right-wing constituency will look the other way.
You're probably right. After all, IOKIYAR.

But boy, the right wing is going to have to twist itself into some pretty contorted pretzels before this election season is over.

Only today, Florida state Representative Bob Allen (R), who is co-chairman of McCain's Florida campaign, was arrested in a Titusville park restroom on charges of solicitation after he approached a plain clothes police officer and offered to perform oral sex on the officer for $20.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/015286.php

There was some confusion in the immediate aftermath of that post as to who was to do what to whom and which way the money was supposed to flow. Was Allen offering to prostitute himself for $20? (And how pitiful is that?) Or was he offering the officer $20 for a blow job? Neither, it turns out. A subsequent blog post (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/015329.php) clarified, based on the actual police report, that Allen offered the policeman $20 to allow Allen to perform oral sex on him. I guess McCain really knows how to pick 'em, too.

And I guess this comes as no surprise:

Late Update: TPM Reader JP notes, perhaps not surprisingly, that the Rainbow Democratic Club, a Dem gay rights group in Central Florida gave Allen its "worst of the worst (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:JWMEm6xufrAJ:www.rainbowdems.org/FriendFoe.asp+elect+bob+allen+florida+32&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us)" rating for his votes on gay issues.

What is it with these guys, anyway?

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM
What is it with these guys, anyway?They come out of a milieu that is sexually repressed and find themselves wanting something else. So the answer, they think, is hypocrisy: say one thing and do another. Sad.

Lindsey
July 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM
They come out of a milieu that is sexually repressed and find themselves wanting something else. So the answer, they think, is hypocrisy: say one thing and do another. Sad.
I think you're probably right. And yes, it really is sad.

--Lindsey

Mike
July 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM
They come out of a milieu that is sexually repressed and find themselves wanting something else.
On an episode of Desperate Housewives, one of the housewives was having her first, uh, encounter with her new fiancé in the bedroom.

He started moving, uh, south, and she stopped him and asked what he was doing. He replied that he wanted to give her the most pleasure he could.

She responded with, "We don't do that." To his query of, "Why not?" she retorted, "We're Republicans!"

Judy G. Russell
July 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
On an episode of Desperate Housewives, one of the housewives was having her first, uh, encounter with her new fiancé in the bedroom. He started moving, uh, south, and she stopped him and asked what he was doing. He replied that he wanted to give her the most pleasure he could.
She responded with, "We don't do that." To his query of, "Why not?" she retorted, "We're Republicans!"ROFL!! Yeah, well, I suspect there's a fair amount of that sort of "we don't do that (at home with our spouses or where we think somebody might talk)" business with Republicans.

Mike
July 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
...I suspect there's a fair amount of that sort of "we don't do that (...)" business with Republicans.
I'm sure there is. OTOH, a former boyfriend, prior to 2003, reminded me several times that if the Repugs really thought about it, they'd realize that their insistence on keeping sodomy statutes meant they'd all continue to be criminals, unless they told their girlfriends (or maybe even their wives), "no more blowjobs."

Lindsey
July 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM
She responded with, "We don't do that." To his query of, "Why not?" she retorted, "We're Republicans!"
LOL!! That's even funnier given the thread title.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I'm sure there is. OTOH, a former boyfriend, prior to 2003, reminded me several times that if the Repugs really thought about it, they'd realize that their insistence on keeping sodomy statutes meant they'd all continue to be criminals, unless they told their girlfriends (or maybe even their wives), "no more blowjobs."You would shock some of them to the core of their beings if you told them that. You would shock others to the core of their beings if you told them their wives might ever do that in the first place.

Mike
July 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM
ROFL!

Mike
July 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM
<snicker>