PDA

View Full Version : Judy: Squirrel solution!

ktinkel
July 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
You haven’t mentioned your squirrel problem lately, but I thought of it this morning when I was listening to the answer to last week’s puzzle on Morning Edition.

(The puzzle was unusual; host Will Shortz said he had squirrels in his attic and asked listeners to send in solutions. The best, in his estimation, would get to play on the air today.)

The woman who won had the same problem. Researching solutions, she read that squirrels hate strobe lights. She found a very expensive solution — something recommended on This Old House — but finally found three strobes at $15 each at a theatrical supply shop. Placed them in her attic, wired up with a remote switch that she threw several times a day for short periods, and the squirrels left and have stayed away.

I would be tempted to put them on a 10-X so the intermittent timing could be automated (at least I think it could be), but what a clever solution. (Lots better than fox urine, which was the runner-up.)

Jeff
July 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
(Lots better than fox urine, which was the runner-up.)

I wonder what all else doesn't like strobes in dark places. I donno about squirrels, but their fox urine stuff works to keep cats off of my car. It takes a while to break the cat's habit, but it does work.

https://www.critter-repellent.com/

- Jeff

ktinkel
July 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
I wonder what all else doesn't like strobes in dark places. I donno about squirrels, but their fox urine stuff works to keep cats off of my car. It takes a while to break the cat's habit, but it does work.How do you contain, carry, and apply the fox urine?

People around here use various predator urine sprays to deter deer, with mixed results. But it does sound icky (and iffy).

Jeff
July 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
How do you contain, carry, and apply the fox urine?

People around here use various predator urine sprays to deter deer, with mixed results. But it does sound icky (and iffy).

All of their anti-critter stuff is a dry powder in a shaker type container. Different types of deterrent for different types of pests. I don't think any of it works immediately for any pest, as a habit must be broken. But if they come back to the anti-smell often enough, like the cat on my car, with luck they will stop coming back.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The woman who won ... found three strobes at $15 each at a theatrical supply shop. Placed them in her attic, wired up with a remote switch that she threw several times a day for short periods, and the squirrels left and have stayed away. I would be tempted to put them on a 10-X so the intermittent timing could be automated (at least I think it could be), but what a clever solution. (Lots better than fox urine, which was the runner-up.)Oooooh... wouldn't that be nice! Can't hurt to try it! Thanks.

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I wonder what all else doesn't like strobes in dark places. I donno about squirrels, but their fox urine stuff works to keep cats off of my car. It takes a while to break the cat's habit, but it does work. https://www.critter-repellent.com/Hmmm... I don't think I'd use fox urine in my attic, though!

Jeff
July 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hmmm... I don't think I'd use fox urine in my attic, though!

OUR noses aren't good enough to smell that. And ain't we lucky..?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
OUR noses aren't good enough to smell that. And ain't we lucky..?Aha! Then it might be worth trying!