PDA

View Full Version : Bombers Blow Hot and Cold

ndebord
June 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Judy,

We don't need no pruning! <g>

Meanwhile, the latest kid pitcher didn't get out of the first inning yesterday against the Sox (the other Sox). SIGH

And Damon looks like a future first baseman. His leg injuries must be more severe than previously known. After Shef failed in his crash regime, don't look for a quick move. That leaves Melky as the everyday centerfielder.

Meanwhile on the pitching front, both Petitte and Clemens claim not to be seriously hurt, so we could have a starting foursome of Wang, Petitte, Clemens and Mussina with Clippard as the 5th starter. Depending upon health, not bad, unless Moose continues to stink up the joint.

Without Giambi in the lineup, the DH position this year is Damon's and that means the Yankees are now short a banger.

SIGH

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
that means the Yankees are now short a banger.

SIGHThat ain't good. I saw some numbers yesterday -- we have to win two-thirds of our remaining games to have a chance.

Mike Landi
June 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
we have to win two-thirds of our remaining games to have a chance.

<shudder>

Giants football, anyone?

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Giants football, anyone?Sigh... it's either that or the weather...

ndebord
June 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Sigh... it's either that or the weather...

Judy,

"It ain't over 'til it's over."

Clippard: 5 innings, 1 run. Proctor 2 innings, no runs. Yankees up 6-1 in the 7th.

(Damon seems to be flourishing as DH with a 3-4 night and when was the last time you saw a DH bat leadoff?)

<G>

P.S. Final 7-3. Farnsworth and Bruney each gave up a run and Mo had to come in for the final out, but it looks like we have a fifth starter and Clippard is his name!

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM
"It ain't over 'til it's over."I'm not giving up, I'm just not counting on a post-season this year.

Mike Landi
June 6th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Sigh... it's either that or the weather...

Last night looked better...

Decent pitching, clutch hitting, a win...and a Bosox loss.

My word! The Red Sox have lost three in a row? They're done! Won't make the playoffs, ...

...wait, that's the Yankees...

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
...wait, that's the Yankees...ROFL!! Well, you have to admit, 11.5 back in June does not look good!

ndebord
June 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'm not giving up, I'm just not counting on a post-season this year.

Judy,

Nor am I, but wishing... that is a different story. <g>

And ya gotta love Torre right now. The DH (Damon) hitting leadoff! All of a sudden, the lineup is coming together. Damon, Jeter, Abreu, A-Rod, Posada, Matsui, Cano, Cabrera, Cairo (at first and playing it like he was there forever!)!

Abreu is 10-21. A-Rod is starting to hit like April again. Damon seem rejuvenated by not having to play the field. Cano and Cabrera seem to be coming around. Posada is on a tear like I've never seen from him before. And Jeter is just Jeter <VBG>.

And that's just the hitters!

Mike Landi
June 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
...better than 14.5.

A three in a row streak for the Yanks and a four game loosing streak for the Bosox?

Baseball is a tough game to predict!

(Wang looked fantastic last night!)

ndebord
June 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
...better than 14.5.

A three in a row streak for the Yanks and a four game loosing streak for the Bosox?

Baseball is a tough game to predict!

(Wang looked fantastic last night!)

Mike,

Better than fantastic. Wang is seemingly the only Yankee pitcher who can throw a complete game and what a game! (And Mo seems back too. Now if only the rest of the bullpen can get it together like they did in March and April).

Mike Landi
June 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Mike,

Better than fantastic. Wang is seemingly the only Yankee pitcher who can throw a complete game and what a game! (And Mo seems back too. Now if only the rest of the bullpen can get it together like they did in March and April).
I'd say Petitte is up there with Wang. Those two are top notch.

I hope Moose can salvage something, now that it is obvious he has lost the top of his fastball's MPH.

ndebord
June 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I'd say Petitte is up there with Wang. Those two are top notch.

I hope Moose can salvage something, now that it is obvious he has lost the top of his fastball's MPH.

Mike,

After tonight, I think you can safely say Moose has adapted to his slower speed fastball. He was only hitting in the mid to upper 80s tonight yet he went into the 7th inning only giving up 1 run. Great curve. (Did I mention he had a great curveball?) <G> Good change and he spotted the fastball on the outside part of the plate when needed.

Farnsworth, however, stunk, but Mo was Mo once again and the hitters woke up in the 8th inning. 10-3 over the White Sox.

Judy G. Russell
June 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
ya gotta love Torre right now. The DH (Damon) hitting leadoff!The shake-up sure does seem to have enlivened the whole team. Not to mention what a four-game skid in Boston does for everybody!

ndebord
June 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The shake-up sure does seem to have enlivened the whole team. Not to mention what a four-game skid in Boston does for everybody!

Judy,

Boston was hot, hot, hot. They had to cool off. I'd like to see where they'd be if they had the injuries we've had.

SIGH

Mike Landi
June 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Mike,

After tonight, I think you can safely say Moose has adapted to his slower speed fastball. He was only hitting in the mid to upper 80s tonight yet he went into the 7th inning only giving up 1 run. Great curve. (Did I mention he had a great curveball?) <G> Good change and he spotted the fastball on the outside part of the plate when needed.

Farnsworth, however, stunk, but Mo was Mo once again and the hitters woke up in the 8th inning. 10-3 over the White Sox.
Farnsworth is a joke. Sometimes he is good, but he cannot be counted on.

Moose looked good, Mo looked great, and ARod was clutch!

We need A LOT more of those games to climb back into this thing.

Judy G. Russell
June 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Boston was hot, hot, hot. They had to cool off. I'd like to see where they'd be if they had the injuries we've had. SIGHI don't think any other team could have had the hits we've had and still even turned up to play every night!

Judy G. Russell
June 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM
We need A LOT more of those games to climb back into this thing.Two out of every three games for the rest of the season.

ndebord
June 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Two out of every three games for the rest of the season.

Judy,

And a few sweeps along the way couldn't hurt either.

<g>

ndebord
June 9th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I don't think any other team could have had the hits we've had and still even turned up to play every night!

ND>>Boston was hot, hot, hot. They had to cool off. I'd like to see where they'd be if they had the injuries we've had. SIGH

Judy,

At the bottom looking up I'm sure.

ndebord
June 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Farnsworth is a joke. Sometimes he is good, but he cannot be counted on.

Moose looked good, Mo looked great, and ARod was clutch!

We need A LOT more of those games to climb back into this thing.

Mike,

Farnsworth can only pitch every other day and can't get command of his pitches right now. I don't know what it is with him except to think it must be mental 'cause he has great stuff.

Judy G. Russell
June 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
And a few sweeps along the way couldn't hurt either. <g>That, as my SIL would say, is a True Fact.

ndebord
June 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
That, as my SIL would say, is a True Fact.

Judy,

Well, the Rocket seems back. After a rocky start, he looked very good in the later innings and the Bronx Bombers won another one.

We'll be at 500 in no time at this rate and then we'll see.

<g>

P.S. Make that six in a row. The rookie Clippard was bad today...couldn't throw strikes and left after giving up 6 runs in 3 innings, but the bullpen came through and were scoreless the rest of the way and the hitters! A-Rod 2 homeruns. Abreu 4-4. Matsui a two run double. Yankees win 13-6.

<VBG>

Judy G. Russell
June 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Make that six in a row. ... <VBG>And the D'Backs came through for us too... so the gap is now 9.5 (and we're in second place in the division, though that's not saying much!).

ndebord
June 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM
And the D'Backs came through for us too... so the gap is now 9.5 (and we're in second place in the division, though that's not saying much!).

Judy,

And how sweet it is...The Big Unit beat Dice-K!

;-)

Judy G. Russell
June 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
And how sweet it is...The Big Unit beat Dice-K! ;-)Bittersweet, actually. (He couldn't have done that kind of pitching for us???)

Mike Landi
June 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Bittersweet, actually. (He couldn't have done that kind of pitching for us???)
Add Randy to the list of players who just could not make it in NY.

Mike Landi
June 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Mike,

Farnsworth can only pitch every other day and can't get command of his pitches right now. I don't know what it is with him except to think it must be mental 'cause he has great stuff.
I always hear he has 'great stuff', and then I see him serve up batting practice.

When he comes into a game, I hold my breath.

ndebord
June 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Bittersweet, actually. (He couldn't have done that kind of pitching for us???)

Judy,

Hey, we hated him in 'da Bronx, but we love him in the desert!

<wry grin>

Judy G. Russell
June 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hey, we hated him in 'da Bronx, but we love him in the desert! <wry grin>Provided we're not facing him...

Mike Landi
June 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Provided we're not facing him...
We'll miss him this time. He'll be in NY starting tomorrow, but not pitching in the three games we have with the Snakes.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
We'll miss him this time. He'll be in NY starting tomorrow, but not pitching in the three games we have with the Snakes.I'm not sure Brandon Webb is going to be any easier! Anybody taking bets on just how many ground balls get hit tonight between him and Wang?

Mike Landi
June 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure Brandon Webb is going to be any easier! Anybody taking bets on just how many ground balls get hit tonight between him and Wang?
It's the eighth, and we're up 4-1.

BUT....Farnsworth is in. I'm holding my breath....

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2007, 08:56 AM
It's the eighth, and we're up 4-1. BUT....Farnsworth is in. I'm holding my breath....And Farnsworth held, Rivera held, and we took another one. We're now (gasp) at .500 and we've won 7 in a row for the first time since 2005. Still 9.5 back of Boston, and Detroit is going strong (Verlander threw a no-hitter yesterday), so we sure need to keep it up.

Mike Landi
June 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
And Farnsworth held, Rivera held, and we took another one. We're now (gasp) at .500 and we've won 7 in a row for the first time since 2005. Still 9.5 back of Boston, and Detroit is going strong (Verlander threw a no-hitter yesterday), so we sure need to keep it up.
Farnsworth had me worried...but he held, thanks to good defense behind him!

I just do not trust him.

Rivera...uh, Nick...he was hitting 95-96 yesterday and killing the Snakes. He can forget the changeup if he is doing that. (Although I agree that he would be better if he had a change.)

What I am afraid of now is, we are due for a cooling off. I hope we can keep the winning up. Moose pitches tonight, and he is out to prove he is still a winning pitcher. We shall see.

(BTW, I just ordered a Nuvi 650. I'll let you know how I like it once it comes in.)

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Farnsworth had me worried...but he held, thanks to good defense behind him! I just do not trust him.With good reason...

What I am afraid of now is, we are due for a cooling off. I hope we can keep the winning up. If we do, we have a fighting chance to catch Detroit at least (maybe... gads, they've been playing well!) if not Boston. If we don't.......

Moose pitches tonight, and he is out to prove he is still a winning pitcher. We shall see.I hope he doesn't try too hard... I think that's half the problem -- these guys try too hard, tighten up and flub it.

ndebord
June 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Farnsworth had me worried...but he held, thanks to good defense behind him!

I just do not trust him.

Rivera...uh, Nick...he was hitting 95-96 yesterday and killing the Snakes. He can forget the changeup if he is doing that. (Although I agree that he would be better if he had a change.)

What I am afraid of now is, we are due for a cooling off. I hope we can keep the winning up. Moose pitches tonight, and he is out to prove he is still a winning pitcher. We shall see.

(BTW, I just ordered a Nuvi 650. I'll let you know how I like it once it comes in.)

Mike,

Mo has, according to all accounts, a really good changeup. He needs it. (That gun sounds a little fast to me. I don't recall seeing Mo hitting 95-96 for the last few years.) Just think. A mid-90s cutter that few can hit. A two and four seam fastball. An occasional slider (he seldom throws) and an 80 mph changeup!)

As for Moose, 4-1 Yankees through four innings.

<fingers and toes>

ndebord
June 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
With good reason...

If we do, we have a fighting chance to catch Detroit at least (maybe... gads, they've been playing well!) if not Boston. If we don't.......

I hope he doesn't try too hard... I think that's half the problem -- these guys try too hard, tighten up and flub it.

Judy,

I don't think trying to hard is Moose's problem. Rather he is a creature of habit and hasn't gotten on track since his injury. I just don't think he's been sharp. The good news with that is he can get sharp at any moment and be good. The age factor I think is a bigger deal with him since he never had a great fastball. (But look at Maddux? SHRUG)

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
The good news with that is he can get sharp at any moment and be good.And he looked just dandy tonight. Beautiful win over the 'Snakes, and the Rockies did us a favor by axing Boston, so we're now officially ABOVE .500 and 8.5 out.

Mike Landi
June 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
With good reason...

If we do, we have a fighting chance to catch Detroit at least (maybe... gads, they've been playing well!) if not Boston. If we don't.......

I hope he doesn't try too hard... I think that's half the problem -- these guys try too hard, tighten up and flub it.
Moose was on his game last night! Seven plus innings, and no walks! That is a very good sign.

Of course, our former favorite whipping boy, A-Rod, kept up the offense.

Can Andy follow suit? Tune in this afternoon.....<g>

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Moose was on his game last night! Seven plus innings, and no walks! That is a very good sign. Of course, our former favorite whipping boy, A-Rod, kept up the offense. Can Andy follow suit? Tune in this afternoon.....<g>Fingers and toes crossed. A sweep would be soooooooooo sweet.

Mike Landi
June 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Fingers and toes crossed. A sweep would be soooooooooo sweet.
Nine in a row would be fantastic!

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Nine in a row would be fantastic!Looking good so far... middle of the 4th and it's 4-1 Yankees.

Mike Landi
June 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Looking good so far... middle of the 4th and it's 4-1 Yankees.
Ended 7-1. Andy got into the eighth and the offense kept rolling.

THIS is the team I expected to see back in April!

Mike Landi
June 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mike,

Mo has, according to all accounts, a really good changeup. He needs it. (That gun sounds a little fast to me. I don't recall seeing Mo hitting 95-96 for the last few years.) Just think. A mid-90s cutter that few can hit. A two and four seam fastball. An occasional slider (he seldom throws) and an 80 mph changeup!)

As for Moose, 4-1 Yankees through four innings.

<fingers and toes>
I think the Yankee stadium gun is high by 1 or 2 MPH. Not a big deal. If he is hitting 94, with late movement, he is certainly healthy.

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Ended 7-1. Andy got into the eighth and the offense kept rolling. THIS is the team I expected to see back in April!I'll be very very very happy to see this team in October!!!

ndebord
June 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I think the Yankee stadium gun is high by 1 or 2 MPH. Not a big deal. If he is hitting 94, with late movement, he is certainly healthy.

Mike,

IF he is hitting 94, that is about where he was last year (93-94) and that is good enough. He really should use the changeup, but who can argue with the best bullpen closer in modern times?

Mike Landi
June 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'll be very very very happy to see this team in October!!!
"This team", not the one that was around in May.

Mike Landi
June 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Mike,

IF he is hitting 94, that is about where he was last year (93-94) and that is good enough. He really should use the changeup, but who can argue with the best bullpen closer in modern times?
I won't argue, but I'd love to see something new that will allow the best there ever was to keep going for a few more years.

Imagine Mo with a 92 or so slider and an 80 change??? <drool>

Bring on the Mutts!

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
"This team", not the one that was around in May.Exactly. And not the one from April either (hitting, but no pitching, then pitching, but no hitting).

ndebord
June 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Exactly. And not the one from April either (hitting, but no pitching, then pitching, but no hitting).

Judy,

Sort of like the team that we have seen for the last two days in Rocky High Colorado?

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
Sort of like the team that we have seen for the last two days in Rocky High Colorado? <sigh>Yeah, sorta like them. Very very frustrating isn't it -- just when we seem to be headed in the right direction...

Mike Landi
June 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, sorta like them. Very very frustrating isn't it -- just when we seem to be headed in the right direction...
Who left the bats in NY? Two runs in 18 innings??? Two good pitching performances (at least by starters) flushed.

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Who left the bats in NY? Two runs in 18 innings??? Two good pitching performances (at least by starters) flushed.I dunno, but I sure wish they'd send somebody for 'em right away (looks like we're in trouble again here in today's game even with better hitting!).

Mike Landi
June 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I dunno, but I sure wish they'd send somebody for 'em right away (looks like we're in trouble again here in today's game even with better hitting!).
Swept by the Rockies....

Terrible. Did we not take then seriously, or were we just due for a letdown?

Now what, get beat by the lowly Giants?

ndebord
June 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Swept by the Rockies....

Terrible. Did we not take then seriously, or were we just due for a letdown?

Now what, get beat by the lowly Giants?

Mike,

Probably due for a letdown, as the alternative is not pleasant.

<sigh>

Mike Landi
June 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
[quote=ndebord;34654the alternative is not pleasant.[/quote]

That has been the season so far....

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Terrible. Did we not take then seriously, or were we just due for a letdown?Or... or... or... I don't even want to think about it.

ndebord
June 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
That has been the season so far....

Mike,

That as a certain person would say, is a True Fact.

SIGH

Losing two out of three to the pathetic Giants. And it looks like Damon is in serious trouble with his legs.

SIGH

And Moose. Win one, lose one. At 37 he is clearly past his peak.

SIGH

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Losing two out of three to the pathetic Giants.Not to mention six of the last 10...

Mike Landi
June 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Mike,

That as a certain person would say, is a True Fact.

SIGH

Losing two out of three to the pathetic Giants. And it looks like Damon is in serious trouble with his legs.

SIGH

And Moose. Win one, lose one. At 37 he is clearly past his peak.

SIGH
I think we are done for the year. I expect we will have glimmers of hope, and then more disaster. I just do not see heart this year, except for maybe Jeter and ARod. The team just gives up too easily.

The problem is the bullpen. When a starter has to go, the team has no confidence that they can win. They give up.

Without a serious 'pen, we are going nowhere.

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I think we are done for the year. I expect we will have glimmers of hope, and then more disaster.I wish I could find some reason to disagree with you. But I don't. It's ridiculous really... for a team with this much talent to be doing this badly...

Mike Landi
June 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I wish I could find some reason to disagree with you. But I don't. It's ridiculous really... for a team with this much talent to be doing this badly...
No heart this year...sad to say about the NY Yankees.

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
No heart this year...sad to say about the NY Yankees.There's one comment posted in the NY Times describing the pitching as follows:
The pitching is completely overrated.
The Yanks have spent a fortune on a starting rotation of
Not-As-Good-As-He-Used-To-Be,
Not-As-Good-As-He-Will-Be,
Not-As-Good-As-He-Used-To-Be, and
Never-Was-Too-Good-To-Begin-With.Sigh.....

Mike Landi
June 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM
There's one comment posted in the NY Times describing the pitching as follows:
Sigh.....
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!

<wimper>

ndebord
June 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I think we are done for the year. I expect we will have glimmers of hope, and then more disaster. I just do not see heart this year, except for maybe Jeter and ARod. The team just gives up too easily.

The problem is the bullpen. When a starter has to go, the team has no confidence that they can win. They give up.

Without a serious 'pen, we are going nowhere.

Mike,

The team looks old right now and too many injuries. Damon should either be on the DL or fulltime DH. The bullpen was overtaxed early and now is worn out. Proctor is spent.

SIGH

Judy G. Russell
June 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!

<wimper>Add the number of ouches for the remaining games of the season and...

Mike Landi
June 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Mike,

The team looks old right now and too many injuries. Damon should either be on the DL or fulltime DH. The bullpen was overtaxed early and now is worn out. Proctor is spent.

SIGH
We need help in the pen, and a big bat on the bench. Without those, we are doomed

ndebord
June 27th, 2007, 12:44 AM
There's one comment posted in the NY Times describing the pitching as follows:
Sigh.....

"The Yanks have spent a fortune on a starting rotation of
Not-As-Good-As-He-Will-Be,
Not-As-Good-As-He-Used-To-Be, and
Never-Was-Too-Good-To-Begin-With."

It has a nice sound to it, but not completely true. Petitte is still very good and Wang is spectacular. The rest, however, fit the bill.

Mike Landi
June 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Petitte is still very good and Wang is spectacular. The rest, however, fit the bill.

I feel for Petitte. He was pitching well yesterday. The defense let him down, and other than one at bat for Damon, the offense was MIA again.

Judy G. Russell
June 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Petitte is still very good and Wang is spectacular. The rest, however, fit the bill.And Proctor... oh Proctor. How could he load the bases and then walk in a run???

ndebord
June 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM
And Proctor... oh Proctor. How could he load the bases and then walk in a run???

Judy,

Overuse I'm afraid. And he is the best they have after Mo.

<sigh>

Mike Landi
June 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM
And Proctor... oh Proctor. How could he load the bases and then walk in a run???
Did you see Torre's face? Proctor flushed the game.

Mike Landi
June 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Overuse I'm afraid. And he is the best they have after Mo.

I don't agree. If he had been hit hard, or could not get the fastball up to 92, maybe. But he was not throwing strikes. He was not trusting his stuff. He has done this before, trying to be a "Kenny Rogers" and hit corners. With his stuff, he should just fire high in the zone. Let'm try to get around on the 97 mph fastball. If they hit it, fine. You lose with your best stuff.

Talk about demoralizing. No offense, and the 'pen walks in the winning run.

Judy G. Russell
June 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Talk about demoralizing. No offense, and the 'pen walks in the winning run.We are out of it for this year, I'm afraid. This sort of thing happens just too much, and we're just too far back.

Judy G. Russell
June 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Did you see Torre's face? Proctor flushed the game.Proctor may also have flushed Joe as manager.

ndebord
June 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Proctor may also have flushed Joe as manager.

Judy,

I doubt it. Torre is safe until the end of this year unless the Yankees fall all the way down the well. His contract is over then and new blood will be found. And if he stinks it up the rest of the way out, he will lose the blame game. If however, somehow he manages to get the Yankees into the wilcard, all bets are off. I doubt it unless they pick up a banger somewhere. First base comes to mind for that.

Meanwhile it could be argued that he mismanged pitching yet again tonight. (After yesterday's fiasco with Proctor and not using Mo in the 9th inning.) Tonight The Rocket was the Rocket through 5 innings, but fizzled in the 6th and the Yankees lost 4-0. You can't win if you can't score any runs. They ran up against a leftie once again and proved that they can't hit them worth a damn.

The good news? Damon had four ribs manipulated back into position (sounds downright scary if you ask me) and says he feels better than he has for most of the season. Considering Melky is really a leftfielder, perhaps Damon can go back out there in center once again.

Bruney, FWIW, was impressive tonight. One innings, zero runs and a 1.9 ERA overall.

ndebord
June 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I don't agree. If he had been hit hard, or could not get the fastball up to 92, maybe. But he was not throwing strikes. He was not trusting his stuff. He has done this before, trying to be a "Kenny Rogers" and hit corners. With his stuff, he should just fire high in the zone. Let'm try to get around on the 97 mph fastball. If they hit it, fine. You lose with your best stuff.

Talk about demoralizing. No offense, and the 'pen walks in the winning run.

Mike,

Proctor rarely hits 97, more like 94-95 and he has a relatively straight fastball, but I totally agree that he gets too fine sometimes. He does not have a closer mentality. Call him middle relief and O.K., but not spectacular in general.

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM
If however, somehow he manages to get the Yankees into the wilcard, all bets are off.We are eight games out of the wild card slot and have lost our last 4 and eight of 11 since the 15th of June...

Mike Landi
June 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM
We are out of it for this year, I'm afraid. This sort of thing happens just too much, and we're just too far back.
I can't believe a team this good on paper plays so poorly.

Mike Landi
June 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Proctor may also have flushed Joe as manager.
You may be right. I'm starting to wonder why Giaradi turned down the Orioles job. HE may have been told to wait for the Yankee job.

Mike Landi
June 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
perhaps Damon can go back out there in center once again.

with the bad legs and the weak arm? Is this Nick saying that? <g>

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I can't believe a team this good on paper plays so poorly.Amazing, isn't it? Think how many future Hall of Famers are on that field on any given day and then look at the results... It's just amazing.

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
You may be right. I'm starting to wonder why Giaradi turned down the Orioles job. HE may have been told to wait for the Yankee job.That certainly would make sense.

Mike Landi
June 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Amazing, isn't it? Think how many future Hall of Famers are on that field on any given day and then look at the results... It's just amazing.
The biggest bunch of underachievers I've ever seen.

ndebord
June 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM
with the bad legs and the weak arm? Is this Nick saying that? <g>

Mike,

His arm is bad... his legs worse, but hey! If he says he's healthy, he is still better than Melky in center. The kid is a good player, but not a centerfielder.

SIGH

ndebord
June 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM
You may be right. I'm starting to wonder why Giaradi turned down the Orioles job. HE may have been told to wait for the Yankee job.

Mike,

It makes sense if they want to make a move sooner rather than later. Mattingly is not ready to manage a club yet as bench coach is not the same as managing somewhere. Girardi paid his dues and was considered first rate albeit a tad testy with his previous boss (should raise shades of billy martin and The Principal Owner)!

Who knows?

Judy G. Russell
June 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
It makes sense if they want to make a move sooner rather than later.If the Yankees fail to make the post-season at all, I'd be stunned if they DON'T make a move.

Mike Landi
June 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Mike,

His arm is bad... his legs worse, but hey! If he says he's healthy, he is still better than Melky in center. The kid is a good player, but not a centerfielder.

SIGH
Last night, they could not even finish a game they were winning.

Mike Landi
June 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Girardi paid his dues and was considered first rate albeit a tad testy with his previous boss (should raise shades of billy martin and The Principal Owner)!

He would have a different style than Torre, and if they are going to make a change, a change in managerial style would make sense.

I think Girardi was told to sit and wait.

Mike Landi
June 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM
If the Yankees fail to make the post-season at all, I'd be stunned if they DON'T make a move.
I think it is a done deal. To tell you the truth, I will not be unhappy with Girardi as manager. Catchers make good managers!

Judy G. Russell
June 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Last night, they could not even finish a game they were winning.Amazing, isn't it? We can't win for losing, and we can't win for winning. Even the Gods of weather are against us!

Judy G. Russell
June 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I think it is a done deal. To tell you the truth, I will not be unhappy with Girardi as manager. Catchers make good managers!I will not be unhappy with anybody who can motivate these guys. At least they pulled it out tonight...

ndebord
June 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I will not be unhappy with anybody who can motivate these guys. At least they pulled it out tonight...

Judy,

Every team, even the Bronx Bombers, has a transition year. I really didn't think that would happen to the Yankees this year, but the injury thing put them into a hole I think they think they can't get out of.

If they make the playoffs, I'll be one happy camper.

<weak grin>

Meanwhile, Moose looked good tonight. At his age, one good game followed by one bad game looks like his speed. It would be nice if he could do what he used to do though. Run through a nice streak. That would help a lot and what about the Rocket? I wonder if his arm strength is there this year what with being off half the year?

Mike Landi
July 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Amazing, isn't it? We can't win for losing, and we can't win for winning. Even the Gods of weather are against us!
Petitte implodes and we score some runs, but still lose.

What a lost opportunity! The Red Sox have been losing lately and we have not gained any ground.

ndebord
July 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Petitte implodes and we score some runs, but still lose.

What a lost opportunity! The Red Sox have been losing lately and we have not gained any ground.

Mike,

I hate to invoke the Gods, but what else explains all this? I mean like The Rocket pulls one out of his, ah, arse and goes 8 innings in a 2-1 win over Minnesota and A-Rod strains his hamstring.

Geez.

Mike Landi
July 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM
We have to hope that A-Rod is not badly hurt. Forgetting all the personal, off-the-field BS from him, we need him on the field and at the plate!

ndebord
July 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
We have to hope that A-Rod is not badly hurt. Forgetting all the personal, off-the-field BS from him, we need him on the field and at the plate!

Mike,

He showed us all something tonight. He played and played well. He'll DH for a bit (they say) to make sure it doesn't get worse. Meanwhile, Wang shutout Minnesota. Nice and a rookie came in to strikeout the side in the 9th inning; perhaps an omen, but his last name is Ramirez! (Proctor did the same in the 8th inning).

And Abreu was hitting (once again).

<big grin>

Mike Landi
July 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
This thread is aptly named! Some days, zero. Other days, they look invincible.

A-Rod was a leader by example last night. And so was Abreu. And so was Wang.....

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
If they make the playoffs, I'll be one happy camper.You and me and several million other fans!

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
This thread is aptly named! Some days, zero. Other days, they look invincible. A-Rod was a leader by example last night. And so was Abreu. And so was Wang.....I wonder why it is that they can't play consistently. Even consistently badly might be easier to take than this up and down, up and down!

ndebord
July 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I wonder why it is that they can't play consistently. Even consistently badly might be easier to take than this up and down, up and down!

Judy,

Well Iggy stunk once again, but the Yankees won 7-6. Cano and Melky hit home runs and Matsui hit a 2 run dinger in the 8th that was the difference. The bullpen done good for a change with Mo making it interesting by giving up a run in 9th inning.

Mike Landi
July 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Yankees are so inconsistent. It only seems that we win when the hitting can overcome the bad pitching, or the pitching can hold down the other team when we can't hit.

Today was the former.

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Well Iggy stunk once again, but the Yankees won 7-6.Iggy has got to go.

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The Yankees are so inconsistent. It only seems that we win when the hitting can overcome the bad pitching, or the pitching can hold down the other team when we can't hit. Today was the former.It's really just so sad. My little nephew, Dennis, is starting to get very interested in baseball... and I can't even urge him to root for the Yanks this year!

Mike Landi
July 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM
It's really just so sad. My little nephew, Dennis, is starting to get very interested in baseball... and I can't even urge him to root for the Yanks this year!

Bite thy tongue! We can root, we just have to accept that they are not as good as we wanted. <g>

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Bite thy tongue! We can root, we just have to accept that they are not as good as we wanted. <g>That's okay for an established fan. I'd root for them no matter what. But it's a little hard fior a youngster starting out, especially when the team his mother will try to encourage him to root for is a perennial loser (the Cubs).

ndebord
July 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
It's really just so sad. My little nephew, Dennis, is starting to get very interested in baseball... and I can't even urge him to root for the Yanks this year!

Judy,

Sure you can. Just get him to emulate past Bosox fan procedures. Love 'em, but they're going to crash and burn.

<weak grin>

Mike Landi
July 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
...his mother will try to encourage him to root for is a perennial loser (the Cubs).

Cubs???!!! Where'd she get her license to have kids?....

...never mind. <g>

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Just get him to emulate past Bosox fan procedures. Love 'em, but they're going to crash and burn. <weak grin>Ewwwwwwww...

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Cubs???!!! Where'd she get her license to have kids?.... ...never mind. <g>She can't help it. She was born and raised in Chicago, and loves the Bears too!

ndebord
July 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Ewwwwwwww...

Judy,

Just when you're mentally ready to accept mediocare play, those devils from da Bronx surprise you. A mini-winning streak and then Wang goes nuts.

Great!

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Just when you're mentally ready to accept mediocare play, those devils from da Bronx surprise you. A mini-winning streak and then Wang goes nuts. Great!They sure did play well, all weekend (except for Cairo's errors, and we won't talk about those!). But is it enough to even be in the running for the wildcard?

Mike Landi
July 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM
...not yet, unfortunately.

ndebord
July 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
They sure did play well, all weekend (except for Cairo's errors, and we won't talk about those!). But is it enough to even be in the running for the wildcard?

Judy,

Too early to say, but FWIW, more of the supporting cast are producing, so the burden is not just on the stalwart oldtimers and A-Rod.

Phillips is a pleasant surprise. I was mad when they put Phelps in his place at the beginning of the season.

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Too early to say, but FWIW, more of the supporting cast are producing, so the burden is not just on the stalwart oldtimers and A-Rod. Phillips is a pleasant surprise. I was mad when they put Phelps in his place at the beginning of the season.I hope you're right that it's too early to say...

ndebord
July 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I hope you're right that it's too early to say...

Judy,

Well with Detroit running away with Central, that means Cleveland is our goal. Boston is probably out of reach.

A very inconsistent team and the last year we'll ahve A-Rod imo.

Let's see how we come out of the box when the break is over.

Judy G. Russell
July 10th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Let's see how we come out of the box when the break is over.That's all we can do!