PDA

View Full Version : 'Google Gears' Offline Web Apps

jdh
May 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
New 'Google Gears' Allows Offline Web Apps
By Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc. said on Wednesday it had created Web software that runs both online, and offline, marking a sea change for the Internet industry by letting users work on planes, trains, spotty connections and even in the most remote locations.
ADVERTISEMENT

The technology, called Google Gears, would allow users of computers, phones and other devices to manipulate Web services like e-mail, online calendars or news readers whether online, intermittently connected to the Web or completely offline.

The first Google product to feature Gears will be Google Reader, which allows consumers automatically to track updates to hundreds of Web sites. Users could connect temporarily for updates, then go offline and read up on recent Web news.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2139334,00.asp
UNQUOTE

good for poor countries that can only barely afford cheap Linux tablet PC's

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Users could connect temporarily for updates, then go offline and read up on recent Web news.Now isn't that interesting...

jdh
May 31st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Now isn't that interesting...

There's also a rumor that google is going into security too. They're afraid that if the Internet becomes too dangerous people will lose faith in the Internet and google would lose billions in ad revenue.

This makes sense since most people are either to inexperienced or too negligent to protect their pc's enough.

DH

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
There's also a rumor that google is going into security too. They're afraid that if the Internet becomes too dangerous people will lose faith in the Internet and google would lose billions in ad revenue.A very good business idea.

Lindsey
June 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah -- an offline reader. What a novel idea!!! :p

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah -- an offline reader. What a novel idea!!! :p We'd have never thought of such a thing ourselves...

Lindsey
June 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
We'd have never thought of such a thing ourselves...
Back to the future, eh?

--Lindsey

MollyM/CA
June 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Now why does that concept sound just vaguely familiar. Didn't there used to be a service called Compuserve that....

davidh
September 2nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I never tried any of this gears stuff. I wonder how it's going now?

DH

ndebord
September 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM

Judy,

Sounds like old-style Soviet propaganda. We made it here FIRST!

I should send them a copy of {COMMO} <g>

Judy G. Russell
September 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
I never tried any of this gears stuff. I wonder how it's going now?You need to try it and report back to the rest of us!

Judy G. Russell
September 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I should send them a copy of {COMMO} <g>Or the original Zapcis!

davidh
September 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
You need to try it and report back to the rest of us! Don't hold your breath.

DH

ndebord
September 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Or the original Zapcis!

Judy,

Oh yeah. I remember when I did the email forum, I came there via {COMMO}, AutoSig, then Tapcis and if memory serves, Messenger module from Netscape, later Mozilla.

Along the way there were programs like Eudora and Pegasus too.

<weak grin>