PDA

View Full Version : friedhof

davidh
May 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM
"Das Wort Friedhof leitet sich ursprünglich vom althochdeutschen "frithof", der Bezeichnung für den eingefriedeten Vorhof einer Kirche ab. Der Bedeutungswandel zu einem "Hof des Friedens" vollzog sich über die Jahrhunderte mit dem Verblassen der etymologischen Wurzel."

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedhof

I wonder in which Western (or other) cultures, if any, children might still be widely encouraged by their elders to perceive a graveyard as a place of peace, comfort, solace, remembrance, etc.? Or has the popular media culture of ghost and fright stories mostly swamped such a feeling?

DH

Bonus question:
Should there be a comma between "Kirche" and "ab" in the first sentence of the Wiki quote? You have to have a good memory to speak german, no?

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
"Das Wort Friedhof leitet sich ursprünglich vom althochdeutschen "frithof", der Bezeichnung für den eingefriedeten Vorhof einer Kirche ab. Der Bedeutungswandel zu einem "Hof des Friedens" vollzog sich über die Jahrhunderte mit dem Verblassen der etymologischen Wurzel."
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FriedhofSigh... I love Babelfish...

I wonder in which Western (or other) cultures, if any, children might still be widely encouraged by their elders to perceive a graveyard as a place of peace, comfort, solace, remembrance, etc.? Or has the popular media culture of ghost and fright stories mostly swamped such a feeling?Used to be true here in the US. Families would spend Sunday afternoons in the cemetery "visiting" relatives. I still see some of that in the graveyards I go to tracking down genealogy information, but not nearly as much as when I was a kid.

Jeff
May 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sigh... I love Babelfish...

Indeed. Notice how the "cemetery" went from the front of the church, to be walked through on the way to the doors, to the side or back of the building where it's out of sight. The former makes a lot more sense than the latter.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Indeed. Notice how the "cemetery" went from the front of the church, to be walked through on the way to the doors, to the side or back of the building where it's out of sight. The former makes a lot more sense than the latter.It has always seemed to me that the fundamental purpose of religion was to comfort us on our way out of this life. Now even religion is downplaying the whole thing!

Lindsey
May 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Used to be true here in the US. Families would spend Sunday afternoons in the cemetery "visiting" relatives. I still see some of that in the graveyards I go to tracking down genealogy information, but not nearly as much as when I was a kid.
That's the whole idea behind cemeteries like Hollywood in Richmond and Green-Wood in Brooklyn, and one whose name I forget in Baltimore. Richmonders used to bring picnic lunches to Hollywood, and to tell you the truth, you still see people going for jogs through that cemetery.

I have a reproduction print on the wall in my office from an 1868 issue of Harper's Magazine which is a composite picture of Richmonders assembling in Hollywood to decorate the graves of the Confederate dead.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I have a reproduction print on the wall in my office from an 1868 issue of Harper's Magazine which is a composite picture of Richmonders assembling in Hollywood to decorate the graves of the Confederate dead.A lot of Southern cemeteries still have Decoration Day -- the little cemetery in Bakersville NC where my 4th great grandfather David Baker is buried does that in September. I went down last year and will go again this year. Lovely. Just lovely.

Lindsey
May 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM
A lot of Southern cemeteries still have Decoration Day -- the little cemetery in Bakersville NC where my 4th great grandfather David Baker is buried does that in September. I went down last year and will go again this year. Lovely. Just lovely.
I remembered the date of the picture wrong: it's from the Harper's Weekly issue of August 17, 1867. The title on it is "Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia -- Decorating the Graves of the Rebel Soldiers, May 31, 1867." The engraving shows ladies in their finest dresses on the arms of gentlemen in their silk hats and morning coats, carrying wreaths and picnic baskets and parasols, with children scampering through the grass playing tag.

New Orleans has a long-standing tradition of decorating graves on All Saints' and All Souls' Days (November 1st and 2nd), very similar to the Decoration Day observances.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
May 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
The title on it is "Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia -- Decorating the Graves of the Rebel Soldiers, May 31, 1867." The engraving shows ladies in their finest dresses on the arms of gentlemen in their silk hats and morning coats, carrying wreaths and picnic baskets and parasols, with children scampering through the grass playing tag.It's too bad more people don't have that same sort of tradition today. Among other things, it would keep the cemetery owners honest...

Lindsey
May 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
It's too bad more people don't have that same sort of tradition today. Among other things, it would keep the cemetery owners honest...
That is an excellent point!

--Lindsey

earler
June 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM
We have our own private cemetery on the property. I walk by there each time I am out with the dog. This is unusual and it is probably impossible to get permission today.

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
We have our own private cemetery on the property. I walk by there each time I am out with the dog. This is unusual and it is probably impossible to get permission today.Private cemeteries are still very common in the rural US.

Lindsey
June 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Private cemeteries are still very common in the rural US.
I was thinking that was the case, but I wanted to check first to be sure about that. For sure they were extremely common in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The RootsWeb archives are full of lists of family cemeteries in just about every county in that network.

--Lindsey

MollyM/CA
June 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Private cemeteries are still very common in the rural US.

They are? As in, you could bury someone in one today? When my Aunt Charlotte died the grave had to have a whole (expensive) everything-proof and very heavy vault, by an Ohio state law, so the undertakers said. This in turn required some special equipment that I'd think would be very hard to get to a private site.

earler
June 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
No special equipment required here in france, but the presence of a gendarme is mandatory. Coffins here are usually wood, by the way.

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
They are? As in, you could bury someone in one today? When my Aunt Charlotte died the grave had to have a whole (expensive) everything-proof and very heavy vault, by an Ohio state law, so the undertakers said. This in turn required some special equipment that I'd think would be very hard to get to a private site.Every state has its own laws, but a lot of those laws are passed because the funeral home industry wants protection. Still, the vault is just a sealed concrete vault and any backhoe can dig a good enough hole.