PDA

View Full Version : Please avoid graphics

John Deutsch
May 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
A REQUEST TO ALL USERS OF THE TAPCISFORUM.

Please avoid unnecessary graphics, such as smilies, in your messages. I just see them as horrid blurs and cannot recognize what they represent. This also applies to the icons used to flag messages and threads.

Let's stick to one of the real advantages of the old Compuserve/Tapcis days. Just plain readable text and no silly pictures.

Regards to all
John

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I understand your preference, John, but you can personally turn them off in your messages (go to the UserCP in the upper left hand corner after logging on, choose Edit Options and scroll down to Thread Display Options).

That makes graphics of all kinds available to those who like them and turned off for those who don't -- and that's the best of all worlds!

fhaber
May 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM
And for completeness... For those unfamiliar with places that allow the user the option to filter all graphics, there's a semi-hidden side effect. People that opt for the plain Mennonite display will never see graphical avatars or sigs.

I've seen entire threads which consist of people who didn't get a visual joke (contained in the *items they themselves hid*) complaining about the resultant lead balloon.

Of course, this was in lesser places. We're far above such things, right? (And don't mistake me; I love the choice!)

-f

davidh
May 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
This is just a test to see if emoticon text is rendered by default as text or graphics. Sorry if it's the latter.

:-)

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I've seen entire threads which consist of people who didn't get a visual joke (contained in the *items they themselves hid*) complaining about the resultant lead balloon
ROFL!! I can see that...

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I have my options set to display all images and it came across as text for me.

John Deutsch
May 27th, 2005, 04:23 PM
OK, thanks.

But of course if people include graphics in a message, and I have chosen not to display them, I might miss something significant in their message.

John

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM
That's true, but if people choose to include graphics, they have to run the risk of losing those who choose not to view them, just as those who choose not to view them run the risk of losing out on the messages.

Nick Parkin
May 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I suspect that your emoticon was the standard :-) & that if you had used the alternative :) used by this software the result would have been a :)

:D :D

You can tell that I have embraced the new world of images! :eek:

Ah - see? Typing the correct symbols (as defined by this s/w) will result in a graphic.

Note for Judy: if we want to delete a posting why do we have to give a reason?

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM
I think giving a reason is optional, but Judy can tell us for sure. I haven't tried deleting any posts here, but providing a reason is optional on the DTP Forum.