PDA

View Full Version : 500 of the missing emails turn up - in Greg Palast's inbox

sidney
May 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Democracy Now! has an interview with Greg Palast (http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/14/1426254) in which he talks about some 500 of the "missing" emails from Karl Rove's organization being mis-sent to whitehouse.org instead of whitehouse.gov addresses, a domain owned by someone who saw them as newsworthy and passed them on to him. These emails included information about a Republican campaign to disenfrachise millions of black voters for the 2004 Presidential election through a trick called "caging".

The link is to a text transcript with links to audio-only and video recordings of the interview.

We went through the 500, and what we found were this massive plan to deny the right to vote -- I mean, extraordinarily targeting African American soldiers sent overseas. They’d send them a letter to their home address. The letter would come back. They say, “Gee, they don't live there. They shouldn’t be allowed to vote.” Their absentee ballot would come in from overseas, and it would be challenged. They would lose their vote. They wouldn’t even know it.

There are more details and other methods described in the interview, tie-in to David Iglesias' firing in New Mexico and allegations that the new US Attorney in Arkansas, Tim Griffin, was the person in charge of the voter disenfranchisement effort.

Greg Palast reported some of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3956129.stm) on the BBC in 2004 when the emails revealed that the GOP appeared to be planning massive voter disenfranchisement in Florida. But now these same emails assume new importance regarding the US Attorney firings.

Judy G. Russell
May 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
... These emails included information about a Republican campaign to disenfrachise millions of black voters for the 2004 Presidential election through a trick called "caging".If this can be substantiated, then criminal -- indeed, felony -- charges of conspiracy and deprivation of civil rights should be brought against everybody involved.

sidney
May 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
If this can be substantiated, then criminal -- indeed, felony -- charges of conspiracy and deprivation of civil rights should be brought against everybody involved.

Don't worry, I hear that the new Arkansas US Attorney is already deeply involved with the case :rolleyes:

Judy G. Russell
May 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Don't worry, I hear that the new Arkansas US Attorney is already deeply involved with the case :rolleyes:ROFL!!! Oh yeah that just gives me the warm fuzzies about the whole situation! I just love it when Dracula is put in charge of the blood bank...