PDA

View Full Version : Errr... not exactly

Judy G. Russell
May 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I got a phone call from my bank Friday night. The security staff had picked up what they thought might be fraudulent activity on my credit card and wanted to check the specific charges with me. There were three, placed in quick succession. (All legitimate; we had three family birthdays on Saturday and I was scrambling to get something out at least marginally on time.)

Why were they concerned about them?

"We really were concerned about that one from East Germany," the woman said.

I was baffled. "East Germany?"

"Yes," she said, "the second one was from a company that listed itself as being in East Germany."

It took me a while to figure it out. It was the birthday present for my seven-year-old grandniece Sydney. What Sydney asked for was that dance pad game that hooks up to the television.

Yep. DDR. *D*ance *D*ance *R*evolution. NOT *D*eutsche *D*emokratische *R*epublik.

Sigh...

Mike Landi
May 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
At least they checked, even if they are ignorant.

I'd rather have them call, and be wrong, than not call and miss something.

...I guess your bank is late on the news. I think I remember something about 'reunification' in Germany...<g>

Judy G. Russell
May 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
At least they checked, even if they are ignorant. I'd rather have them call, and be wrong, than not call and miss something.Oh I agree completely. I thanked the woman profusely, and told her how much I appreciate the vigilance they show on behalf of their customers.

...I guess your bank is late on the news. I think I remember something about 'reunification' in Germany...<g>What can I tell you? I was tempted to launch into a "Zo.... ve hav vays of making you... DANCE!" routine...

jdh
May 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM
What can I tell you? I was tempted to launch into a "Zo.... ve hav vays of making you... DANCE!" routine...
I hope that if you go into show business that you will stay out of jail. Seems like it's almost a requirement anymore.

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I hope that if you go into show business that you will stay out of jail. Seems like it's almost a requirement anymore.I think you can also improve your odds of staying out of jail by (gasp) obeying the law...

ndebord
May 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
At least they checked, even if they are ignorant.

I'd rather have them call, and be wrong, than not call and miss something.

...I guess your bank is late on the news. I think I remember something about 'reunification' in Germany...<g>

Mike,

Nah, it's just part of American outsourcing...even former Stassi gotta work!

Mike
May 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Oh I agree completely. I thanked the woman profusely, and told her how much I appreciate the vigilance they show on behalf of their customers.
I appreciate the vigilance, despite the misinformation that's shared.

We're buying a lot of stuff for the rental condo we're rehabilitating. Brent gave my CC # to tile company, which ran the charge with the wrong expiration date, so it was declined. The tile company discovered the mistake and ran it again, which raised alarms at Chase. I got a call from Security to go over the charges on the account, all of which were legitimate.

The 'droid then told me the second charge from the tile company was declined, but the tile company wasn't given that indication, so it was up to me to contact the tile company and have them resubmit the charge. I did so.

Two days later, I checked the charges online. Yup. Two charges of $884 were on the account.

When I called to have that corrected, the other 'droid told me I'd have to clear that with the merchant.

I said, "No. Since Chase's Security department called me and told me to have the merchant resubmit the charge, I will not call the merchant to credit my account. You handle it now."

She did.

Mike Landi
May 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I was tempted to launch into a "Zo.... ve hav vays of making you... DANCE!" routine...

ROFL!!!

Judy G. Russell
May 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I said, "No. Since Chase's Security department called me and told me to have the merchant resubmit the charge, I will not call the merchant to credit my account. You handle it now."

She did.You're lucky that she did. Some of these bozos not only refuse but then refuse to connect you with a supervisor to escalate the issue. I haven't had that with my bank (Wachovia) but I have had it with others.

I sure wish people in Customer Service would pay attention to the second word...

Lindsey
May 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Good for you. They had told you they declined the first of those; it was ridiculous for them to make it your responsibility to relay that information to the merchant in the first place. That it was bad information makes it even worse. They made the mess -- it was up to them to fix it. I'm glad they saw it that way, but I can only imagine how many people they convince to do their jobs for them.

I really don't understand it -- I always feel really bad when we screw things up like that, and I've always felt (and I know other people I work with see it the same way) that it was our obligation to fix those problems with as little inconvenience to the customer as possible.

--Lindsey

Mike
May 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM
I sure wish people in Customer Service would pay attention to the second word...

Many of them consider that to be the same way that a bull services a cow.

Mike
May 11th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I'm glad they saw it that way, but I can only imagine how many people they convince to do their jobs for them.
Far too many people believe the same thing.

Can you say "DMV"? I thought so.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
May 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Many of them consider that to be the same way that a bull services a cow.ROFL!!! You're exactly right, I'm afraid.