PDA

View Full Version : TAPCIS RSS works now?

jdh
May 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I see the orange RSS icon in my browser address bar when I visit http://www.tapcis.com/forums

Does that mean RSS is now working ?

Just curious. I don't know whether I'd actually use it or not.

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I see the orange RSS icon in my browser address bar when I visit http://www.tapcis.com/forums Does that mean RSS is now working ? Just curious. I don't know whether I'd actually use it or not.It is turned on. You can try it if you'd like.

jdh
May 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
It is turned on. You can try it if you'd like.

I've played a little with it.

Apparently you have to be looking at the list of threads in a section if you want to "subscribe" to articles (messages) in that section, at least in Firefox. Otherwise, if you are at "open forums" page, you are likely to get the feed that includes all open forums including "parlor" and the "parlor" will likely flood the feed with messages since its traffic is higher.

I tried both Firefox "live bookmarks" and my.yahoo.com as feed readers.

It appears that the date/time sorting on the feed is maybe a couple days behind? At least the article list appears to be out of synch with what appears on the actual view of the forum sections themselves.

I'm just playing with this. Not sure how much use I'd actually make of these feeds. However, I'd think that RSS feeds in general can be time savers to check whether new articles/messages have appeared or not.

At least in the my.yahoo.com feed reader the age (off by a couple days) of the latest articles appear. In Firefox "live bookmarks" I don't see any date, time, or age, etc.

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Apparently you have to be looking at the list of threads in a section if you want to "subscribe" to articles (messages) in that section, at least in Firefox. Otherwise, if you are at "open forums" page, you are likely to get the feed that includes all open forums including "parlor" and the "parlor" will likely flood the feed with messages since its traffic is higher.There is probably some way to designate some sections and not others, but I'm not sure exactly how that's done.

davidh
March 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
There is probably some way to designate some sections and not others, but I'm not sure exactly how that's done.I don't remember exactly how it worked when I tried RSS back when I first started this thread. But now, when in a specific forum, one gets a choice of two feeds when one clicks the RSS icon in the address bar. First choice is the whole forum feed and second choice is the feed just for the section in which one is at the moment, if any. DH

davidh
March 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
It appears that the date/time sorting on the feed is maybe a couple days behind? At least the article list appears to be out of synch with what appears on the actual view of the forum sections themselves.
DH
Apparently the threads in the feed are sorted by date of first post.

It would seem much more useful to sort the threads in the feed by date of LAST post, no? Is there a setting for this that can be changed in the bulletin board configuration?

BTW , I found that the URL for the RSS feeds in the Compuserve forums can be edited manually to change the number of threads to display from the default of 10 to 20 or 30 (or higher?).

In the Compuserve forums and in the Internet Storm Center RSS feeds it appears that when a thread is posted to or when an article is modified, respectively, it advances to the top of the RSS feed. This seems more intuitively useful to me.

DH

sidney
March 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It would seem much more useful to sort the threads in the feed by date of LAST post, no? Is there a setting for this that can be changed in the bulletin board configuration?

I didn't find a setting to make it automatic, but the documentation says that if you edit the RSS feed URL to insert &lastpost=1 it will sort threads by time of last post instead of first post.

Also, it says You can refine the listings by specifying forumids in the path. For multiple forums separate them with a comma. This will limit the feed to the specified forums only. (Below example uses xml as type, but it works with rss, rss2, and js too)
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/external.php?type=xml&forumids=1,2,3,4

davidh
March 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It would seem much more useful to sort the threads in the feed by date of LAST post, no? Is there a setting for this that can be changed in the bulletin board configuration?This thread does not appear at all in the RSS feed for the "Forum Use and Help" forum. I assume this is because its date of post of first message is too far in the past.

sidney
March 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
This thread does not appear at all in the RSS feed for the "Forum Use and Help" forum. I assume this is because its date of post of first message is too far in the past.

When you add &lastpost=1 to the URL for the feed then this thread does show up, because the date of last post is within range.

davidh
March 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I didn't find a setting to make it automatic, but the documentation says that if you edit the RSS feed URL to insert &lastpost=1 it will sort threads by time of last post instead of first post.
Thank you. That works.

davidh
January 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
When you add &lastpost=1 to the URL for the feed then this thread does show up, because the date of last post is within range. This 'sort of' still does work. But not as nice as I think I'd like it to. So I have more or less given up on using RSS to access tapcis.com/forums.

However, for anybody who might be interested, I finally DID eventually notice that the RSS icon that used to appear in the Firefox "address bar" (in version 3) no longer exists. (I'm talking about OTHER pages that offer RSS 'feeds', not just Tapcis.)

But there is a Firefox extension that "restores" this functionality to later versions of FF such as my current version namely 9.

RSS Icon
Adds the RSS Icon back into the Location Bar -- Bringing back the FF 3.X behavior
Rated 5 out of 5 stars (42)
13,355 users
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/5506666/?src=api