PDA

View Full Version : Yanks can't win for losing!

Judy G. Russell
April 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
So we finally beat Boston, great game, and (talk about snakebit) lose yet another pitcher. Last I heard it's a broken fibula for Karstens. Geez Louise... just how many pitchers can we lose????

ndebord
April 29th, 2007, 01:17 AM
So we finally beat Boston, great game, and (talk about snakebit) lose yet another pitcher. Last I heard it's a broken fibula for Karstens. Geez Louise... just how many pitchers can we lose????

Judy,

I don't know, but we sure are snake bit. I guess the silver lining is Iggy pitched brillantly and Mo was Mo for one night and we beat Beantown. But still...

Judy G. Russell
April 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
we sure are snake bit. I guess the silver lining is Iggy pitched brillantly and Mo was Mo for one night and we beat Beantown. But still..."But still... but still..." How many times do we have to say that? I just can't believe it. A broken leg. Good lord...

ndebord
April 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM
"But still... but still..." How many times do we have to say that? I just can't believe it. A broken leg. Good lord...

Judy,

Well, the Bronx Bombers lost again to Beantown, 7-4 and wouldn't you know it: Wang had a broken nail on his pitching hand. It's not enough that he's not sharp, being just off the DL...

He'll be fine in a start or two, but will Torre? The Principal Owner is not exactly known for his even temper.

I figure Wang, Petitte, Musina, Iggy and Hughes will be a good starting rotation... just not yet.

And Damon is hurt.

SIGH

Judy G. Russell
April 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
wouldn't you know it: Wang had a broken nail on his pitching hand. It's not enough that he's not sharp, being just off the DL... He'll be fine in a start or two, but will Torre? The Principal Owner is not exactly known for his even temper.And he's getting older. He doesn't have that many more years to get a championship team...

I figure Wang, Petitte, Musina, Iggy and Hughes will be a good starting rotation... just not yet. And Damon is hurt. SIGHYou can say that again... SIGH...

Mike Landi
April 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I hope we are getting all of our losing out of the way early. Seeing the team beat so many times is depressing.

Judy G. Russell
April 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I hope we are getting all of our losing out of the way early. Seeing the team beat so many times is depressing.Being in last place isn't exactly uplifting either...

Mike Landi
April 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Uplifting, like cement shoes.

Judy G. Russell
April 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Uplifting, like cement shoes.ROFL!! Exactly.

ndebord
May 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
And he's getting older. He doesn't have that many more years to get a championship team...

You can say that again... SIGH...

Judy,

I'm going to say a lot more than Sigh.

What is going on? Philip Hughes has a hamstring injury too? The word on the street is now blaming the new conditioning coach, who has zilch baseball credentials and has instituted a new routine this season.

I guess Rasner will be called up now and just after Hughes pitched 6 1/3 innings of beautiful ball.

SOB

Judy G. Russell
May 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM
What is going on? Philip Hughes has a hamstring injury too?... SOBI'd use that word too but as an acronym. I mean, come ON. We have lost HOW many pitchers now, including this kid???? Talk about snakebit!!!!!!!

Mike Landi
May 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
I was listening to the radio, and was about to turn on the TV when he got hurt.

Something is very wrong here. Are these guys not stretching, or are they overdoing it? FOUR pitchers down with hammies? If it was the weather, other pitchers would have this issue. Something within the Yankee organization is causing this.

Boss George and Torre should be screaming about this!

4 to 6 weeks...ARGHH!

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Something is very wrong here. Are these guys not stretching, or are they overdoing it? FOUR pitchers down with hammies? If it was the weather, other pitchers would have this issue. Something within the Yankee organization is causing this.Nick says the word is it's the conditioning coach. If so, is the death penalty available???

Mike Landi
May 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Name? Do we have a name? We can use the old Boston renaming convention...as in Bucky F'in Dent? <g>

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Name? Do we have a name? We can use the old Boston renaming convention...as in Bucky F'in Dent? <g>Marty Miller (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/13/2007-04-13_yankee_train_wreck-3.html) according to the Daily News.

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Name? Do we have a name?Now ex-training coach, according to today's NY Times online (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/sports/baseball/03miller.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)!!!

ndebord
May 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Now ex-training coach, according to today's NY Times online (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/sports/baseball/03miller.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)!!!

Judy,

And to think I like(d) Cashman. This bonehead play changes all that. Fire him for both instituting this unproven methodology and for sticking with it when the results were as clear as a broken rubber band.

"I’m constantly evaluating everything we do," Cashman said in a telephone interview at the time. "But do I blame Marty and Dana for this? No."

<grrrrrrrrr>

P.S. this from Zim:

http://blues.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/01/don-zimmer-holds-brian-cashman-responsible/

And this:

http://baseball.about.com/b/a/257918.htm

"His unorthodox training program didn't endear Miller to Yankee veterans; it reportedly de-emphasizes running as a way to build leg strength. That's not unlike ruling out breathing as a way to increase lung capacity."

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
And to think I like(d) Cashman. This bonehead play changes all that. Fire him for both instituting this unproven methodology and for sticking with it when the results were as clear as a broken rubber band.I can't imagine what in the world they're doing that they have this many injuries. Something, particularly in the warm-up structure, is wrong wrong wrong.

Mike Landi
May 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Fired like a Fourth of July rocket!

Did I say 'Rocket'? <g>

Judy G. Russell
May 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Fired like a Fourth of July rocket! Did I say 'Rocket'? <g>You know, I'm not at all surprised by the announcement... but couldn't it have come just a little earlier???

ndebord
May 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
You know, I'm not at all surprised by the announcement... but couldn't it have come just a little earlier???

Judy,

The 7th inning stretch was a perfect time to do it and any earlier and it would have rained on Rasner's perfect parade.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2007, 08:14 AM
The 7th inning stretch was a perfect time to do it and any earlier and it would have rained on Rasner's perfect parade.<g>I didn't mean earlier in the game. I meant earlier in the season.

ndebord
May 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I didn't mean earlier in the game. I meant earlier in the season.

Judy,

Nah. That much of a team player, The Rocket ain't.

Half a season for a league leading paycheck & he can come and go as he pleases on non-pitching days. "How sweet it is..."

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Half a season for a league leading paycheck & he can come and go as he pleases on non-pitching days. "How sweet it is..."Almost makes you think he witched the Yanks' pitchers into their injuries, doesn't it?

So... this kid who's pitching tonight... who the heck is he???

ndebord
May 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Almost makes you think he witched the Yanks' pitchers into their injuries, doesn't it?

So... this kid who's pitching tonight... who the heck is he???

Judy,

This newest kid is thought of as a "bulldog" with a good sinker and a changeup that is almost like a forkball. That's all I know about him, except his AAA era is supposed to be good (off hand don't know what that is).

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
That's all I know about him, except his AAA era is supposed to be good (off hand don't know what that is).That's more than I knew!

ndebord
May 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM
That's more than I knew!

Judy,

DeSalvo threw 7 innings, of 3 hit, 1 run ball. Unfortunately, the bullpen let him down (Farnsworth 1 run, Mo 1 run) and the Yankees lost 3-2.

SIGH

P.S. The hitters stopped hitting tonight.

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
DeSalvo threw 7 innings, of 3 hit, 1 run ball. Unfortunately, the bullpen let him down (Farnsworth 1 run, Mo 1 run) and the Yankees lost 3-2. SIGH P.S. The hitters stopped hitting tonight.Combination of bad call and bad luck tonight, I'd say. The kid looked pretty doggoned good!

ndebord
May 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Combination of bad call and bad luck tonight, I'd say. The kid looked pretty doggoned good!

Judy,

Bad call? Bad Luck? Explain please, as I didn't see the game tonight as I was working.

TKs

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Bad call? Bad Luck? Explain please, as I didn't see the game tonight as I was working.We had Seattle beat. One of their players tried to steal second, was called safe and wasn't -- not even close. That would have ended the 8th inning. At worst we'd have had an extra innings tie.

Mike Landi
May 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Keep him around! ...and how about that blown call that greatly impacted the game? That stunk...and so did Mariano.

Judy G. Russell
May 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Keep him around! ...and how about that blown call that greatly impacted the game? That stunk...and so did Mariano.That blown call made all the difference in the world... and Mariano... is he losing it? Has he already lost it?

Mike Landi
May 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I think (I hope) Mariano will be fine toward the end of May. He seems to take longer now to get into top form.

ndebord
May 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM
That blown call made all the difference in the world... and Mariano... is he losing it? Has he already lost it?

Judy,

Mo is now hitting 93. Last year he was 94-95 and before that 95-96. Considering his rust and all, perhaps he can get higher on the gun. But to my mind, the most important thing is what has been his biggest success. He has been the best reliever in the majors over the longest period of time with just one pitch, his cutter (O.K. good fastball too, but not his out pitch generally speaking).

Historically, great pitchers add new pitches late in their hall-of-fame-a-coming years. Mo has added that changeup. He's worked on it for a few years now, but seemingly won't throw it much in game situations. That has to change to my mind. And either he is rusty and has control problems or he has control problems in general, in which case we and he are in for one really bumpy ride this year.

SIGH

Judy G. Russell
May 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I think (I hope) Mariano will be fine toward the end of May. He seems to take longer now to get into top form.He is getting older, for sure, but I hope you're right that we just need to be a little patient -- and I hope we're grooming a replacement somewhere in the farm system.

Judy G. Russell
May 8th, 2007, 11:40 PM
either he is rusty and has control problems or he has control problems in general, in which case we and he are in for one really bumpy ride this year.Gads I hope it's mostly rusty...

ndebord
May 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Judy & Mike,

Geez. What exactly do the Gods have against the Yankees? Yet another pitcher down and in the first innning. Rasner with a hand injury. Tried to catch a ball hit up the middle with his pitching hand. Not a wise decision.

And the Yankees end up losing 10-7 and are now 11 games back.

Geez.

:-(