PDA

View Full Version : WIN98se and XP and TAPCIS and me

heinz57g
June 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
hey, found something that goes into this section. sorry, under this chapter. no, what i mean, into this folder. and right into this thread:

moved (guess why) some of my TAPCIS installations onto computers running WIN98se and WIN XP.

strangely enough, the one under WIN98se runs much better: at reasonable speed, and there is this bar on top where i can cut/copy/paste from/to within TAPCIS. acceptable ...

a reasonably resizable window, in several steps, and with ALT/ENTER a great full screen version, quite usable.

a different picture under XP (latest version and updates): very very slow, visibly so. up and downloads at speeds of under 600bd (not Kb!). same modem as above, same phone line.

basically, same installation too. or at least, i cannot tell where i made a difference.

but window not resizable (ALT/ENT works though), and worse, no toolbar for cut/copy/paste, just nothing there. normal WIN cut/copy does not respond.

so, if i can get the experts out of the kitchen, away from their beer, and into the antique-computer den, have a go, please. salonso is here waiting with me.

greetings - heinz -

Bill Hirst
June 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
but window not resizable (ALT/ENT works though), and worse, no toolbar for cut/copy/paste, just nothing there. normal WIN cut/copy does not respond.
Right-click on the title bar for a drop-down menu. The Mark/Copy/Paste functions are under Edit. You can adjust the font and window size under Properties.

I don't remember the details about performace tweaks.

heinz57g
June 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM
bill, and right you were! many thanks. the largest font size also gives a resizable window, perfect for reading on the balkony, large letters at all. sunday eve.

any idea why all this is not so under WIN98se?

and if anybody can come up why under XP it just crawls ...

greetings - heinz -

PS: ran various versions of a TASK MANAGER besides TAPCIS: it looks as if it blocks, totally independent how fast the CPU is and how much TAPCIS would really need, a full 110% of the CPU power, such blocking itself, and making life for anything to be done next to it (like the modem connection) difficult. would this make sense?