PDA

View Full Version : OLR's and touch typing in browser forms

davidh
June 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
One of the things that I especially liked about the TAPCIS program is that one could do everything with the keyboard and type quickly. Even use multikey combinations.

Of course this "fast keyboard" made the program efficient to use. It also could give me the satisfying illusion that I was a virtuoso pianist playing on the keyboard.

I've noticed while typing information into forms in web browsers that if I type too fast the cursor will jump back to a previously typed entry and append additional characters there. This is especially common while entering user ID's and passwords. But I believe that it happens elsewhere too.

I wonder if this is a problem that is intrinsic to the fact that one is using an interactive GUI interface based on HTML and javascript in a browser? That is, maybe the problem is not likely to go away unless one is using a very fast machine and a fast broadband connection. Or, IOW, that one would have to upgrade PC, OS, and browser every 2 or 3 years to the maximum horsepower to minimize the problem.

It seems in a way that sometimes one is spending vast amounts of CPU horsepower and bandwidth to get to a point not much far advanced beyond what one could do with a dumb terminal and a printer 30 or 40 years ago. At least when it comes to simple communication by text messages. Of course pictures and sound are sometimes very helpful, but often not necessary.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I wonder if this is a problem that is intrinsic to the fact that one is using an interactive GUI interface based on HTML and javascript in a browser? That is, maybe the problem is not likely to go away unless one is using a very fast machine and a fast broadband connection.
I have a very fast machine and a fast broadband connection and find I have to be much more careful typing... and a bit slower typing too.

davidh
June 26th, 2005, 12:30 AM
My PC is very slow, 60Mhz, with 33.6 modem. And my wife's PC is 2.9 Ghz Celeron with 2Mbps DSL. And either way is a problem. I'd use LYNX to access the forum but the screen layout is way confusing because of the way GUI is rendered as text-only.

I miss TAPCIS :-(

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I miss TAPCIS :-(
We all do. Welcome to the Brave New World.