PDA

View Full Version : Hi!!!

Phil Rider
June 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Finally made it here. <g>

Please give me access to the members only sections.

Thanks,

Phil Rider

Ex CIS Sysop

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2005, 11:18 AM
HIYA, PHIL! Welcome, and better late than never, and all that! You should now see *Section 8 and the *For Members Only sections.

Mike
June 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
PHIL!!! <waving!>

How are ya, bud? How's your lovely wife?

Lindsey
June 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Welcome, Phil! How are things in Chicago? Were you affected by that power outage I was hearing about recently?

--Lindsey

Phil Rider
June 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Jane and I are doing fine, but it is too hot and dry around here. I'm happy to report that we didn't loose power so the air conditioning kept working.

This place is so much better for me than CIS because I only have a dial up connection. I will try to keep up with what is going on.

Phil

Lindsey
June 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM
This place is so much better for me than CIS because I only have a dial up connection. I will try to keep up with what is going on.
And I thought I was the only one around here still stuck in the dial-up stone age. ;)

As to hot and dry: I think I'd prefer that to hot and muggy! Though to tell you the truth, the summer has really not been so bad around here thus far, and I noticed on the weather report the other night that we have been having cooler temperatures here than you guys further north. Even this week, though it's horribly humid, at least the temperatures are not predicted to stray much above the 90 degree level. And last week was beautiful--more like early September than June.

--Lindsey

Phil Rider
June 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I think I spoke too soon ... it is now hot and humid. We are having a very hot and dry (lack of rain) early summer here. Not at all normal and the worst summer for us since 1988. The only good part is it's so dry the grass doesn't grow so I don't have anything to cut. This is the first time I can remember when the weeds are even drying up.

We are in an interesting area. Sort of out in the country, but not very far from the large stores etc. The road we live on is about a mile long with about 20 houses. We don't have cable TV because they feel there will be too few subscribers to cover their costs. The old copper phone cable is falling apart and they win't run a new phone cable until they can no longer find a pair for someone's phone. A neighbor asked the SBC technician about DSL and he just laughed. So, I just hope my old 56k modem hangs in there ... the 21st century may come to this area in a decade or so.

Phil

Lindsey
June 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Yuck--I'm sorry to hear that our weather drifted northward. It's been a bit dry here this summer, too--I think rainfall is down about 4 inches for the year so far--and what rain we've had lately has mostly only served to increase the humidity level. It's supposed to cool off slightly by the weekend, though; I'm hoping we get a good downpour between now and then. If we get some cool air, I'll try to blow some of it your way. ;)

Tell Jane hello for me!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
If we get some cool air, I'll try to blow some of it your way. ;)
Make sure it passes over NJ en route, willya???

Lindsey
June 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Make sure it passes over NJ en route, willya???
I'll certainly do my best!

--Lindsey

Phil Rider
June 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Lindsey,

I will say "hello" to Jane for you.

We are down over 7 inches for the year so far.

Less humid today and for the next few days, but the 4th should be back to hot and humid. Hot and humid is the way the 4th should be though. <g>

Phil

Lindsey
June 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Virginia (and much of the rest of the country) was in the midst of a serious drought several years ago, one that had extended over the course of three years or more. Then in one winter, we got enough rainfall to make up the entire rain deficit. It was nice to be able to lift the (voluntary) water restrictions, but geez, did it all have to come at once? It makes me wary of wishing too hard for the end of a dry spell. The roads here still haven't completely recovered from that very wet winter.

--Lindsey