PDA

View Full Version : VRWC Completed

rlohmann
April 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM
We here at the VRWC (VRW Conspiracy) hereby announce the completion of the VRWC (VRW Computer). The Admiral has sent his congratulations by appropriately secure means.

Among the advanced features of the VRW Computer is a significantly improved oversight system to police the movements, communications and thoughts of those Communist agents known by their cover names as "Lindsey," "Frank," and senior Politburo member "Hillary."

America is a better place today.

--
The Conspirator-in-Charge

Jeff
April 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
We here at the VRWC (VRW Conspiracy) hereby announce the completion of the VRWC (VRW Computer). America is a better place today.

--
The Conspirator-in-Charge

Better than...? Iraq? No? Afghanistan? No? But we haven't invaded the PRNK, yet.

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
We here at the VRWC (VRW Conspiracy) hereby announce the completion of the VRWC (VRW Computer). Congratulations! Let's hope it's a bit more stable and long-lived than the last one.

rlohmann
April 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM
?

(This is the first computer I ever built.)

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM
?

(This is the first computer I ever built.)I wasn't comparing it to the last home-grown computer, just your last computer, which seemed to have an inordinate number of problems.

Lindsey
April 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I wasn't comparing it to the last home-grown computer, just your last computer, which seemed to have an inordinate number of problems.
I guess that's what happens when you put all that spy-ware on it. <evil grin>

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I guess that's what happens when you put all that spy-ware on it. <evil grin>ROFL!!!

rlohmann
April 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I guess that's what happens when you put all that spy-ware on it. <evil grin>--LindseySpeaking of spy-ware, have you entertained any subversive thoughts lately?

Ach! Never mind.

We already know.

Your already voluminous dossier has been updated accordingly. :->

<sneering patriotically>

--
Deputy Admiral for Homeland Security

rlohmann
April 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
It wasn't the computer.

FWIW--as what I hope may be a lesson to all--the problem was my reliance on Windows Defender and Windows Live Onecare that apparently left my machine vulnerable to the malware that trashed my hard drive. I had signed up with m$ because I had had so many problems with Symantec. (I was also running AdAware Plus, but that probably wouldn't have caught the invader.)

Redmond has promised great security features for Vista, which I'm going to install on the new box tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. My sense is that the only defense is to back up everything (which I had mostly done, but even so, I lost some material, including all of my Firefox bookmarks).

I hope also to get the box and the detritus of its creation--does anyone realize how much packing material comes with computer components?--off the dining-room table by tomorrow afternoon. My roommate is starting to become a little bit churlish about it and muttering darkly about divorce. She simply has no appreciation of the sacrifices required by advances in technology.:)

earler
April 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
By the way, what led you to assemble the thing yourself? I can get a guy to do this gratis. I buy the components and he puts them together. Much simpler than doing this oneself.

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
It wasn't the computer.Not this time. But you've had trouble with that box before, if I recall correctly.

I had had so many problems with Symantec.I strongly recommend NOD32 by Eset (http://www.eset.com/). Small footprint and totally unobtrusive once you get it set up. My office uses it and I do at home and on the laptop as well.

I hope also to get the box and the detritus of its creation--does anyone realize how much packing material comes with computer components?--off the dining-room table by tomorrow afternoon. My roommate is starting to become a little bit churlish about it and muttering darkly about divorce. She simply has no appreciation of the sacrifices required by advances in technology.:)Well, eating on the deck in the rain is a bit much in the name of technology, you know...

Lindsey
April 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Speaking of spy-ware, have you entertained any subversive thoughts lately?
Well, considering that if I decide to buy vanilla ice cream rather than chocolate, you would find some reason to think it subversive, I don't doubt that you have added plenty to your dossier!

Whether it means anything more than did Bush's case for war against Iraq is another question. :cool:

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Last edited by Lindsey : Today at 11:45 PM.
Geez, I went to fix HTML tag on the link in Judy's message, and while I was documenting the reason, the message updated. (Stray keystroke -- maybe, but I think it was Ralph hacking in to try to read my keystrokes....)

--Lindsey

earler
April 19th, 2007, 04:14 AM
If perchance your setup is a single computer without a router, do get a router. It offers the best basic firewall available. A decent one, like the linksys wrt54gl only costs about $50. It's a good investment.

Judy G. Russell
April 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I think it was Ralph hacking in to try to read my keystrokes....ROFL!!! (Thanks for fixing the link.)

Dan in Saint Louis
April 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Speaking of spy-ware, have you entertained any subversive thoughts lately?
That reminds me, I've been meaning to thank you for installing the keystroke logger that was inadvertently included in your installation package. As a result, we are now in the process of recording all the VWRC internal communications and passwords.

You may continue.

Lindsey
April 20th, 2007, 01:36 AM
ROFL!!! (Thanks for fixing the link.)
It has a "[/QUOTE]" tag at the end in place of a "[/URL]".

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
It has a[n end quote] tag at the end in place of a "[/URL]".That'll teach me to type it rather than using the tools...

Lindsey
April 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
That'll teach me to type it rather than using the tools...
The tools work nicer in this upgraded version, too. Now you can make a link of existing text. Before you had to type the text tool, you could use text that had already been typed into your message.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
The tools work nicer in this upgraded version, too. Now you can make a link of existing text.So you can! (I just tested it to see how it works, and that's nice!)

Lindsey
April 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM
So you can! (I just tested it to see how it works, and that's nice!)
The way it worked before was very annoying. Now it works like you would expect it to.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
Before you had to type the text tool, you could use text that had already been typed into your message.
I really screwed that sentence up, didn't I? I must have been more tired than I realized! What I had intended to say was that before you had to type the text into the text tool, you couldn't use text that had already been typed into your message.

--Lindsey

rlohmann
April 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I hadn't considered the possibility of sabotage, but....

(A copy of this message has been sent to the Admiral.)

<sneering patriotically>

rlohmann
April 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Because it's there:)

(Anyway, your guy doesn't know where Lindsey lives.)

<sneering complacently>

Dodi Schultz
April 28th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ralph, you're using VISTA? Really? I'm reliably informed that major users, corporate et al., will not permit it on the premises. (Don't argue with ME about it; I'm jusst repeating what the tech type told me.)

--Dodi

Lindsey
April 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Ralph, you're using VISTA? Really? I'm reliably informed that major users, corporate et al., will not permit it on the premises.
New computers come with it. You may not have a lot of choice; Microsoft controls what computer manufacturers are allowed to offer on new systems.

--Lindsey

earler
April 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Those same companies put off using xp, too, and for the same reasons. These are valid when one is managing a large user group. For single users or for small networks, vista is a good idea, in my opinion, for new or newish machines.