PDA

View Full Version : Glub glub where's the ARK???

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I am really tired of the weather so far this year.

jdh
April 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nice trees. Probably the squirrels enjoy 'em too.
DH

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Nice trees. Probably the squirrels enjoy 'em too.
That's mean. True, but still mean. I hope all the little furry tailed rodents drown.

ndebord
April 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
That's mean. True, but still mean. I hope all the little furry tailed rodents drown.

Judy,

Send 'em here (I'll drown 'em easy!)

Had three to four inches this afternoon in the basement and my two little garden house sump pumps failed miserably. After dragging 20 or so tubs of wet/dray 12 gal tubs out to the street and still losing the battle, thank God for the firemen who finally came after I screamed on 911. (Of course after they came and helped me turn the, ah, tide, the flood watch plumber showed and snaked it out. It only took him two hours to show up. Had my brother-in-law run to Home Depo and get me a 1 1/2 inch sump pump which is in the hole and is my sole security blanket (I hope.)

Hope, it seems, is my currency of the day.

:-(

jdh
April 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Too bad your cats can't fly like those dudes in the chinese kung fu movies, then they could catch the squirrels. Better than eating canned cat food from china these days.
DH

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Had three to four inches this afternoon in the basement and my two little garden house sump pumps failed miserably. ... :-(:( for sure. At the moment, I'm in serious jeopardy of having water come in through the back door. The basement is wet (not standing water, but wet still) and there's a literal lake in my back and side yards.

I am definitely grumpy.

Lindsey
April 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I am really tired of the weather so far this year.
I thought about you when I saw the pictures from Jersey City on CNN earlier tonight. I made a mental note to ask you if you had a canoe ready... :p

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM
The basement is wet (not standing water, but wet still) and there's a literal lake in my back and side yards.
Bad news.

'Course, in my neighborhood nobody (with only one exception that I know of) has a basement. The water table is too high. (I suspect that if such studies had been done in the 1920s, when this area was being developed, it would have been designated part of White Oak Swamp. Certainly it would have been a wetland of some type.) When I was a kid, my grandmother's yard flooded with every steady rain.

--Lindsey

ndebord
April 16th, 2007, 01:30 AM
:( for sure. At the moment, I'm in serious jeopardy of having water come in through the back door. The basement is wet (not standing water, but wet still) and there's a literal lake in my back and side yards.

I am definitely grumpy.

Judy,

I got a spare lousy little garden house sump pump you can have...free, just come and pick it up!

(After leaving my house, my brother-in-law had to go home. Water coming through the basement electrical outlets!) (He took the other lousy little sump pump and as he didn't have a major problem like mine, it did the trick.)

What lousy weather. I haven't really slept now in 2 days. Looked at the satellite map and it looked like this junk will be around at least through the morning rush. (Right now it just light rain, but that can change in a heartbeat.)

ktinkel
April 16th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I am really tired of the weather so far this year.Pretty amazing. We have two leaks into the basement (small ones, which means we are pretty sound).

What’s impressive is how high the tide is — when I woke up this morning I saw piles of river junk on the crossbars of the dock (about 3 inches below the walking surface — usually about 3 or 4 feet above water even at high tide).

Right now the crossbars appear to be right on the water. A couple of dazed-looking gulls are sitting on the crossbar, gazing at their reflections just below them in the water.

The sky is pretty clear now; maybe we have seen the end of this thing.

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
When I was a kid, my grandmother's yard flooded with every steady rain.My backyard does as well, and it's one of the things on my list for this year, to grade the yard away from the house and perhaps put in a drainage trench (where you dig the trench and fill it with gravel before covering it up and reseeding it) at a low point away from the house. But if it doesn't stop raining, I may not get there without a boat!

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I got a spare lousy little garden house sump pump you can have...free, just come and pick it up!Thanks, but the sump pit is draining, fortunately. This is more a problem with leakage from the windows and areas where the gutters and leaders are dumping water too close to the house. (Gutters and leaders are on my list for "things-to-be-done-this-year".)

What lousy weather. I haven't really slept now in 2 days. Looked at the satellite map and it looked like this junk will be around at least through the morning rush. (Right now it just light rain, but that can change in a heartbeat.)It's still raining now, at nearly 11 a.m.!

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I thought about you when I saw the pictures from Jersey City on CNN earlier tonight. I made a mental note to ask you if you had a canoe ready... :pLemme tell ya... if it doesn't stop raining, I may NEED a canoe! It's still raining now, for pete's sake!

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
The sky is pretty clear now; maybe we have seen the end of this thing.I hope we get there soon -- it's 11 a.m. and still raining here!

Dan in Saint Louis
April 16th, 2007, 11:14 AM
What’s impressive is how high the tide is — when I woke up this morning I saw piles of river junk on the crossbars of the dock (about 3 inches below the walking surface — usually about 3 or 4 feet above water even at high tide).
If the worst we had to contend with in Saint Louis was three or four feet above normal, we would think we were in heaven. Floods here run about ten times that.

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
If the worst we had to contend with in Saint Louis was three or four feet above normal, we would think we were in heaven. Floods here run about ten times that.Our rivers will run well above that too. But tides? That's ocean, not river, and it takes one heck of a storm to affect the ocean.

ktinkel
April 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM
My backyard does as well, and it's one of the things on my list for this year, to grade the yard away from the house and perhaps put in a drainage trench (where you dig the trench and fill it with gravel before covering it up and reseeding it) at a low point away from the house. But if it doesn't stop raining, I may not get there without a boat!We had to do that when we lived in Durham, Conn. The developer had built a whole row of raised ranch houses in the 1960s without drainage, and every time snow melted or we had a good rain the lower level flooded by about three feet. Since that was where my office was, it made me cranky.

Jack got a guy with a back hoe to trench around the foundation, ran perforated pipe in a gravel bed, and then refilled it. The house was gloriously dry ever after. Would have cost the builder about $50 to do it when he poured the foundation, of course; it cost us a few hundred, even with Jack doing much of the work.

ktinkel
April 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM
If the worst we had to contend with in Saint Louis was three or four feet above normal, we would think we were in heaven. Floods here run about ten times that.Where we live the river is an estuary. It will run into Long Island Sound before it surges onto our land.

The have the sorts of floods you have up north, where the water finds it easier to go sideways when there is too much.

ktinkel
April 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I hope we get there soon -- it's 11 a.m. and still raining here!Yeah, I saw that on the news at noon. You guys really got socked.

We also never saw any of the predicted heavy winds. There were a few significant gusts during the night, but nothing like 40 or 50 mph they had warned us about.

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
We also never saw any of the predicted heavy winds. There were a few significant gusts during the night, but nothing like 40 or 50 mph they had warned us about.None here either, as far as I can tell (and as far as I heard!). I had braced the garbage cans by the front of the garage and weighted them down and they weren't even touched. I also didn't see that many limbs down, etc. So I think we missed the worst of the winds but got hammered by the rain. Eight inches or more in less than 24 hours. Whew.

Lindsey
April 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Lemme tell ya... if it doesn't stop raining, I may NEED a canoe! It's still raining now, for pete's sake!
If you've still got that air mattress, it might come in handy as a float!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
If you've still got that air mattress, it might come in handy as a float!I have a new one now, one that's not likely to flatten and leave me swimming!

Lindsey
April 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I have a new one now, one that's not likely to flatten and leave me swimming!
Yeah, that old one would have been worse than useless! (Hmmm, though I suppose you might have gotten a little bit of jet propulsion out of the leak, at least for the short term...)

I was pretty sure that I remembered that you had said you had replaced it. It's a good thing -- it might just come in handy!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah, that old one would have been worse than useless! (Hmmm, though I suppose you might have gotten a little bit of jet propulsion out of the leak, at least for the short term...)As long as it lasted until higher ground, it'd be good enough!

I was pretty sure that I remembered that you had said you had replaced it. It's a good thing -- it might just come in handy!I'd rather it was handy for visitors and not for floods!

Lindsey
April 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'd rather it was handy for visitors and not for floods!
Well, yes, but items that can do double-duty are always good to have!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Well, yes, but items that can do double-duty are always good to have!True, But the fact that I could use it for floods doesn't mean I want to have to!