PDA

View Full Version : The price of politicizing prosecutors

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
On April 5th, the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit (Easterbrook, appointed by Reagan; Bauer, appointed by Nixon; Wood, appointed by Clinton) heard the appeal of a civil service worker from Wisconsin who was prosecuted by the Bush-appointed US Attorney out there just in time for the case to be useful in the tightly-contested race for Governor there. The defendant, Georgia Thompson, was alleged to have steered a contract to one in-state vendor because, politically, "her bosses" wanted it.

At oral argument (http://www.wispolitics.com/1006/070405_Thompson_Dismissal.mp3) (a 26-minute argument), it became clear that this woman did not work directly for the Governor, had no idea of any political connection between the vendor and the Governor (the vendor had given a perfectly legal campaign contribution to the Governor; neither of whom were charged, of course), had not expected a benefit for recommending the in-state vendor over out-of-state vendors, didn't get a benefit, and was prosecuted on a theory that would let the Government charge a crime if she had voted for a vendor because she liked the way the vendor looked, with not even a hint of corruption involved.

Not only was the woman prosecuted, but when the jury returned the conviction, the US Attorney there refused to consent to bail pending appeal -- a totally ordinary request in a white-collar crime case and one that is routinely granted. So off to jail she went, that day. And there she stayed, until April 5th.

Immediately after hearing the argument, the three members of the Court of Appeals unanimously entered an order reversing the conviction, directing the entry of a judgment of acquittal and directing the Government to get that poor woman out of jail that day. Now that is extraordinary. An appeals court usually waits to write an opinion, then orders compliance with the opinion. Entering an order like that is way out of the usual course.

So when someone asks why we are concerned about politicizing the office of the United States Attorney, think about the price paid by people like Georgia Thompson. And when someone asks what's being done by the prosecutors who were not fired, think about Georgia Thompson.

Lindsey
April 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
So when someone asks why we are concerned about politicizing the office of the United States Attorney, think about the price paid by people like Georgia Thompson. And when someone asks what's being done by the prosecutors who were not fired, think about Georgia Thompson.
And think of how differently it might have turned out if the Appeals Court had a majority of "loyal Bushies" sitting on the bench.

There is also good reason to wonder if the prosecution of Georgia Thompson got Milwaukee US Attorney Steven Biskupic's name taken off of Kyle Sampson's hit list. http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/013630.php

Also check this out: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9575434. NPR has information that the plan to fire all 93 US Attorneys originated not with Harriet Miers, but with Karl Rove. (I never thought that plan sounded like Harriet Miers.) And the idea was to use the mass firing as cover for getting rid of the handful they actually wanted out.

Gonzales's appearance before Congress on Tuesday should be very interesting.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM
There is also good reason to wonder if the prosecution of Georgia Thompson got Milwaukee US Attorney Steven Biskupic's name taken off of Kyle Sampson's hit list. http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/013630.php
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. And it is simply appalling. I've been a federal prosecutor (just an assistant, not the big cheese) and I know the awesome power that any federal prosecutor has, much less the US Attorney personally in each district. To think that that power could be directed towards achieving purely partisan aims... it's just appalling. This is far far worse than the Nixon enemies list stuff.

ktinkel
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
it became clear that this woman did not work directly for the Governor, had no idea of any political connection between the vendor and the Governor (the vendor had given a perfectly legal campaign contribution to the Governor; neither of whom were charged, of course), had not expected a benefit for recommending the in-state vendor over out-of-state vendors, didn't get a benefit, and was prosecuted on a theory that would let the Government charge a crime if she had voted for a vendor because she liked the way the vendor looked, with not even a hint of corruption involved.And, icing on the cake, it turned out the vendor had had the lowest bid (at least according to the NRP reporter I heard describe the case yesterday).

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
And, icing on the cake, it turned out the vendor had had the lowest bid (at least according to the NRP reporter I heard describe the case yesterday).I've listened to the oral argument (I teach appellate advocacy, remember, and there are some juicy things that happened in the argument that I want to use with future classes!). The vendor had the low bid financially, and when all of the other factors were included in the analysis, was either 0.07 or 0.007 points behind an out-of-state vendor. (The lawyers in the argument kept getting confused, but it sounded like it was seven-one thousands of a point difference overall).

ktinkel
April 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I've listened to the oral argument (I teach appellate advocacy, remember, and there are some juicy things that happened in the argument that I want to use with future classes!). The vendor had the low bid financially, and when all of the other factors were included in the analysis, was either 0.07 or 0.007 points behind an out-of-state vendor. (The lawyers in the argument kept getting confused, but it sounded like it was seven-one thousands of a point difference overall).Well, one can see how a competent/honest judge would throw the case out.

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Well, one can see how a competent/honest judge would throw the case out.One of the judges (obviously joined by the others) described the evidence as "beyond thin."

ndebord
April 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM
One of the judges (obviously joined by the others) described the evidence as "beyond thin."

Judy,

I would have said: "beneath thin."

(A sorry state of affairs.)

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
(A sorry state of affairs.)Indeed it is. Sorry indeed.

Lindsey
April 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
This is far far worse than the Nixon enemies list stuff.
I agree completely. And Nixon's enemies list was bad enough.

The truly insidious thing here is that the question of fairness can reasonably be raised in the first place. You simply cannot prosecute these kinds of crimes if people cannot feel sure that politics plays no part in any of it. Undermining confidence in the fairness of the judicial process undermines the entire notion of the rule of law on which our constitutional system is based. And moves us just a little closer to the dictatorship which GWB jokingly (?) expressed a favorable view of shortly after he was elected.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Undermining confidence in the fairness of the judicial process undermines the entire notion of the rule of law on which our constitutional system is based. That is exactly what it does. It's bad enough if people think that justice can be bought. It's much worse if people think that justice depends on how you vote.