PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and the Clippy of death

sidney
April 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hmm, it's Friday the 13th already here in New Zealand and it seems to be able to affect the forum server in the US. I posted this earlier this morning, saw it after I submitted it, yet I see no trace of it now. Anyway, attempt #2:

From Computer Business Review Online, 11 April 2007,

Microsoft and the Clippy of death (http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=CFE81578-B0A5-42DA-9567-29E6BE17BB81)

"Microsoft has issued five new critical security bulletins, offering patches for 14 vulnerabilities in Windows products, including one that could allow the much-derided Clippy software assistant to take full control of a PC on behalf of a bad guy."

And for your enjoyment, Help Desk's take on the less recent news that Microsoft is retiring Clippy from future versions of the Microsoft Office UI, starring their paper clip named Binky is here (http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20070312.html). And the followup (http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20070330.html).

Lindsey
April 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I always knew that shifty-eyed paper clip was not to be trusted!

Dan in Saint Louis
April 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I always knew that shifty-eyed paper clip was not to be trusted!
Well, Rocky is more fun anyway.

Lindsey
April 12th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Well, Rocky is more fun anyway.
Is Rocky the idiotic dog that I can't figure out how to remove from the "Search" on XP?

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
April 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Is Rocky the idiotic dog that I can't figure out how to remove from the "Search" on XP?
Nah, Rocky is the cute little pup that scampers back into his kennel.

Peter Creasey
April 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
"Microsoft has issued five new critical security bulletins, offering patches for 14 vulnerabilities in Windows products

Sidney etal, One of the recent MS security updates was flawed and caused WiFi connection failures for many people. It was KB 925902. I don't know if this update has been modified/repaired or not.

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
"Microsoft has issued five new critical security bulletins, offering patches for 14 vulnerabilities in Windows products, including one that could allow the much-derided Clippy software assistant to take full control of a PC on behalf of a bad guy."I knew it! I knew it! I knew that paperclip was a bad 'un!

Lindsey
April 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Nah, Rocky is the cute little pup that scampers back into his kennel.
I wish he'd stay there! I hate feeling like the software I am using for serious work was designed for pre-schoolers.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I knew it! I knew it! I knew that paperclip was a bad 'un!
I hope there is a circle of hell reserved for the overly and obnoxiously cute where Clippy and a certain purple dinosaur will spend eternity. (And the little dog, too!)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I hope there is a circle of hell reserved for the overly and obnoxiously cute where Clippy and a certain purple dinosaur will spend eternity. (And the little dog, too!)Not to mention their designers...

Lindsey
April 17th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Not to mention their designers...
Oh, yes, good thought -- especially them! Because they would be the source of new Clippys and Barneys!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Oh, yes, good thought -- especially them! Because they would be the source of new Clippys and Barneys!And you can be sure that there will be more Clippys and Barneys no matter what. (Depressing...)