PDA

View Full Version : Who wudda thunk it? Pavano the Ace?

ndebord
April 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM
The Yankees win big. A-Rod is on a tear and Pavano came up a winner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270409109

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Pavano came up a winner.I kept wondering who that guy on the mound was, and what he had done with Carl Pavano...

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I was in an airport Monday night and walked by a sports bar. I saw Pavano on the mound, looked at my watch, and was surprised. I figured the game started late.

Then I saw the line score.

I just stared....

...and what about A-Rod? Is he just relaxed, or did he see a shrink?

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
...and what about A-Rod? Is he just relaxed, or did he see a shrink?I don't know, I don't care, but I'll pay to have him continue doing it!!!

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I hope Moose follows suit!\

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I hope Moose follows suit!No such luck. From Associated Press:
New York starter Mike Mussina strained his left hamstring and departed in the third inning. No. 1 starter Chien-Ming Wang already is on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, pitching prospects Jeff Karstens and Humberto Sanchez also are on the DL and No. 5 starter Darrell Rasner came out of his first start because of a blister. Sigh.........

ndebord
April 12th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Judy,

JGR>>> [from AP] New York starter Mike Mussina strained his left hamstring and departed in the third inning. No. 1 starter Chien-Ming Wang already is on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, pitching prospects Jeff Karstens and Humberto Sanchez also are on the DL and No. 5 starter Darrell Rasner came out of his first start because of a blister. Sigh.........

It does seem like the Yankees are snake bit, doesn't it. The silver lining, IF there is one is this. Because the starters have fallen like pins, the bullpen has been thrust forward and on the whole has done very well indeed.

As for Rasner, it was the extreme cold that caused the blister and he will be fine quickly and last year, he did go 3-1 for the Bronx Bombers.

Karstens should be back soon and as for Moose, the initial news is a "mild hamstring strain."

Wang? Haven't heard where he stands. As for Sanchez, he wasn't picked to make the bigs just yet in any event.

<sigh>

P.S. Meanwhile, Dice-K ain't perfect: 7 innings, 8 hits, 3 runs, 1 bb, 4 ks as Boston loses to Seattle 3-0!

;-)

Mike Landi
April 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
This is VERY not good.

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
It does seem like the Yankees are snake bit, doesn't it.That, my friend, is an understatement.

The silver lining, IF there is one is this. Because the starters have fallen like pins, the bullpen has been thrust forward and on the whole has done very well indeed.That's good, but I remember -- only too well -- what happens to a team that wears out its bullpen...

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
This is VERY not good.You and Nick are in a tie for understatement of the day...

ndebord
April 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You and Nick are in a tie for understatement of the day...

(Originally Posted by Mike Landi)This is VERY not good.

Judy,

It's early. And this galdarn cold weather is playing havoc with muscles and ligaments. All these hamstring injuries are both bad luck and a product of playing in freezing temperatures (perhaps conditioning too?).

<SIGH>

We'll see how the formerly number five pitcher Iggy does before I panic.

Mike Landi
April 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm ready to panic. Moose down. Probably a DL candidate. Iggy to fill his spot. What's his name from the minors to come in as #5? Where the h*ll is my Pepcid!

ndebord
April 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm ready to panic. Moose down. Probably a DL candidate. Iggy to fill his spot. What's his name from the minors to come in as #5? Where the h*ll is my Pepcid!

Mike,

One thing, ah, make that two. Rasner ain't half bad. And those blisters are a temporary problem caused by the extreme cold. Kasner is another story. They keep on saying it is nothing serious and then they bring up that nasty word "elbow."

When is Wang coming back? Two more weeks? Pavano, Petitte and rain, say I (and I don't much like rain, as my sewer line to the street just broke somewhere. My dime I'm afraid.

Mike Landi
April 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Ouch! Good luck with the sewer line. Nasty business fixing those.

ndebord
April 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Ouch! Good luck with the sewer line. Nasty business fixing those.

Mike,

Well, the basement tried to fill up twice. WetVac arrived in time to mitigate the damage, but still. Bought a subpump and hope when the next storm arrives on Sunday, I'll be doing better. Need a few dry days for them to fix whatever is wrong underground. <sigh>

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Need a few dry days for them to fix whatever is wrong underground. <sigh>Ha! And when are we gonna get those? From the sound of this storm due in this weekend, I'm ready to build an Ark!

ndebord
April 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Ha! And when are we gonna get those? From the sound of this storm due in this weekend, I'm ready to build an Ark!

Judy,

Will an Ark float on sewage?

<whine>

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Will an Ark float on sewage? <whine>I expect it'd float on anything if it was made well enough! But I really feel for you, Nick. That's a terrible problem to have in this modern day, isn't it?

ndebord
April 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I expect it'd float on anything if it was made well enough! But I really feel for you, Nick. That's a terrible problem to have in this modern day, isn't it?

Judy,

I just need a few dry days for them to effect repairs (I hope).

Meanwhile Rasner done good tonight. His curveball was spot on and aside from a bad inning with 3 unearned runs, he left after 5 with a 0.00 era. And the Yankees went on to to win 4-3 with the bullpen dealing out zeros!

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
...aside from a bad inning with 3 unearned runs...Which followed yet another Jeter error... what the heck -- are he and Alex taking turns???