PDA

View Full Version : Orioles beat Yankes

Gail
April 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yanks lose 6-4. SIGH

To the Orioles, with Mussina pitching, in Yankee Stadium. Ya gotta love it. :-)

<going back to lurk mode>

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
To the Orioles, with Mussina pitching, in Yankee Stadium. Ya gotta love it. :-) <going back to lurk mode>Why am I not surprised that the one thing that draws you out of lurk mode is this???

Gail
April 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Why am I not surprised that the one thing that draws you out of lurk mode is this???

Hehe. You know me so well. :-)

ndebord
April 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
To the Orioles, with Mussina pitching, in Yankee Stadium. Ya gotta love it. :-)

<going back to lurk mode>

Gail,

It must be Spring 'cause the Orioles have invaded the bird feeder once again!

<g,d&r>

It's a long season, but it certainly does look like your Baltimore team has fixed its long-suffering bullpen.

Gail
April 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Gail,

It must be Spring 'cause the Orioles have invaded the bird feeder once again!

<g,d&r>.

Is that the new name for the Yankee Stadium, the Bird Feeder? <eg>

It's a long season, but it certainly does look like your Baltimore team has fixed its long-suffering bullpen.

They did?? Uh...... I mean, they did!! GO BIRDS!!

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
GO BIRDS!!I can think of a place or two for them to go... and they lost to the Yanks today!!!

Gail
April 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I can think of a place or two for them to go... and they lost to the Yanks today!!!

Yeah, but they won yesterday!! Any day the Birds beat the Yankees is a good day. Any day the Yankees lose to anyone is a good day.

Who the hell is sitting at the ballpark in this frigid weather, anyway? it never hit 40 here today, with gazillion mph winds. Are these people nuts?

Signed,

Grumpy

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but they won yesterday!!Yeah, but they're DEAD LAST in the division, and have won exactly one game so far this season!

Who the hell is sitting at the ballpark in this frigid weather, anyway? it never hit 40 here today, with gazillion mph winds. Are these people nuts?Of course they are. You have to be completely stark raving mad to go sit out at a ballgame when some of the games so far have been snowed out. Mother Nature is playing some nasty tricks on us, and my daffodils and I are Not Amused.

ndebord
April 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but they're DEAD LAST in the division, and have won exactly one game so far this season!

Of course they are. You have to be completely stark raving mad to go sit out at a ballgame when some of the games so far have been snowed out. Mother Nature is playing some nasty tricks on us, and my daffodils and I are Not Amused.

Judy,

But, nasty, cold, miserable weather nothwithstanding, the Yankees won. I was out and listening on the radio and the score was 7-6 Birds, 9th inning. I turned the radio off and later found out that A-Rod FINALLY hit a walk off grandslam homerun. Turns out it was his third and maybe, just maybe this will help him find the love he so desperately needs!

<VBG>

Gail
April 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah, but they're DEAD LAST in the division, and have won exactly one game so far this season!

Uh, they've only played 5 games. Not that I give a flying ....... uh....... you know....... Meanwhile they've got the toughest April schedule of any team in the division. 13 of their first 27 games are on the road and the majority are against playoff teams from last year. Add to that the fact that at best they're a .500 team. At least that's what my son told me.

And then there's the fact that I don't give a flying....... (see above)

Of course they are. You have to be completely stark raving mad to go sit out at a ballgame when some of the games so far have been snowed out. Mother Nature is playing some nasty tricks on us, and my daffodils and I are Not Amused.

And it isn't going to warm up to where it should be any time in the next 5 days or so. :-( I hope this isn't an omen of what the spring and summer is going to be like.

Judy G. Russell
April 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Uh, they've only played 5 games.(Hmmm. I know I wrote an answer to this. I dunno where it went.) Details, details.

And it isn't going to warm up to where it should be any time in the next 5 days or so. :-(The 10-day forecast up here doesn't even suggest we might see 60. Whine...

I hope this isn't an omen of what the spring and summer is going to be like.I suspect we're headed right from winter to summer.

Gail
April 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
...have won exactly one game so far this season!

Hmmmmmmm........... Life is good. :D

http://static.viacomlocalnetworks.com/img/clock2.gif Apr 8, 2007 5:54 pm US/Eastern
O's Beat Yankees 6-4

(AP) NEW YORK With snow flurries blowing through the Bronx, Paul Bako hit a go-ahead three-run homer in the fourth inning as
Baltimore beat the Yankees 6-4.

http://wjz.com/sports/local_story_098175616.html

Lindsey
April 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Meanwhile they've got the toughest April schedule of any team in the division. 13 of their first 27 games are on the road and the majority are against playoff teams from last year. Add to that the fact that at best they're a .500 team.
I thought you didn't follow sports????

At least that's what my son told me.
Aha! So that's it! I should have known...

And then there's the fact that I don't give a flying....... (see above)
Now that's the Gail I know!

--Lindsey

Gail
April 9th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I thought you didn't follow sports????

Aha! So that's it! I should have known...

Now that's the Gail I know!

--Lindsey

The last line says it all. <g>

I wouldn't even have known the O's and Yankees (or Yankes, as the thread title says <ducking>) were playing if my son Michael hadn't sent me an email gloating that the O's had beaten the Yanks in NY. We really do hate them, ya know. ;)

Mike Landi
April 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Wow. Gail still types! (I'll resist the bird-brained jokes.) <g,d&r>

ndebord
April 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
The last line says it all. <g>

I wouldn't even have known the O's and Yankees (or Yankes, as the thread title says <ducking>) were playing if my son Michael hadn't sent me an email gloating that the O's had beaten the Yanks in NY. We really do hate them, ya know. ;)

Gail,

Go ahead. Gloat now. Time will tell, but I do have to say I like your coaching there and the team seems much improved from its former faded glory. I remember when Baltimore was a perennial contender, along with Detroit and New York in the last century.

<g>

Lindsey
April 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM
(or Yankes, as the thread title says <ducking>)
Must be the Daily News spelling (inside joke).

--Lindsey

Gail
April 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Wow. Gail still types! (I'll resist the bird-brained jokes.) <g,d&r>

<smooooooooooooch>

No bird-brained jokes this time around, sweetie. We beat you 2/3. ON YOUR TURF!! :p

Gail
April 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Gail,

Go ahead. Gloat now. Time will tell, but I do have to say I like your coaching there and the team seems much improved from its former faded glory. I remember when Baltimore was a perennial contender, along with Detroit and New York in the last century.

<g>
I'm not gloating. I honestly don't care except when it comes to the Yankees. Everyone here hates the Yankees, other than some transplanted NYorkers who never got over them. (This transplanted NYorker hated the Yankees when she lived in the Bronx, so had nothing to get over. <g>)

The Orioles used to have a fabulous team once upon a time. Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Dave McNally, blah blah blah. They're all in their 60s and even some in their 70s now. McNally died in 2002 at age 60, of lung cancer. Now I don't even know the players' names and I really don't care.

I was at the game in the '70 World Series when McNally (pitcher) hit a grand slam home run to win his own game. Talk about exciting.

But that was back when I believed that the teams had some loyalty to the fans. I know better now.

Same with football. The night the Colts snuck out of town taking the team name and records with them, was the end of it for me with football.

I'd rather put my time and energy into my grandkids. :)

Gail
April 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Must be the Daily News spelling (inside joke).

--Lindsey

Sitting on the outside looking in. <g>

ndebord
April 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not gloating. I honestly don't care except when it comes to the Yankees. Everyone here hates the Yankees, other than some transplanted NYorkers who never got over them. (This transplanted NYorker hated the Yankees when she lived in the Bronx, so had nothing to get over. <g>)

The Orioles used to have a fabulous team once upon a time. Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Dave McNally, blah blah blah. They're all in their 60s and even some in their 70s now. McNally died in 2002 at age 60, of lung cancer. Now I don't even know the players' names and I really don't care.

I was at the game in the '70 World Series when McNally (pitcher) hit a grand slam home run to win his own game. Talk about exciting.

But that was back when I believed that the teams had some loyalty to the fans. I know better now.

Same with football. The night the Colts snuck out of town taking the team name and records with them, was the end of it for me with football.

I'd rather put my time and energy into my grandkids. :)

Gail,

I was just kidding about the gloating and you're entitled, as I too remember the great teams Baltimore put on the field in those days. Being from Michigan, I hated the Yankees back then, as they almost always seemed to win one or two games more than we did. In 1968, I was still in the army, just back from 'Nam and couldn't get a pass to go to the games, so had to read about it in the Louiville Courier (SIGH). Mickey Lolich was my hero and in memory of his performance back then, here is his famous quote after the Tigers beat St. Louis that year. (He won 3 games)

"I guess you could say I'm the redemption of the fat man. A guy will be watching me on TV and see that I don't look in any better shape than he is. 'Hey Maude,' he'll holler, 'Get a load of this guy and he's a twenty-game winner.' " - Mickey Lolich, 1968 World Series

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hmmmmmmm........... Life is good. :D

http://static.viacomlocalnetworks.com/img/clock2.gif Apr 8, 2007 5:54 pm US/Eastern
O's Beat Yankees 6-4

(AP) NEW YORK With snow flurries blowing through the Bronx, Paul Bako hit a go-ahead three-run homer in the fourth inning as
Baltimore beat the Yankees 6-4.Nick is already doing the "be nice to the poor Orioles fan" bit, so I'll just indulge in a Bronx cheer....

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Sitting on the outside looking in. <g>Don't mind us. Somehow, and I haven't quite figured out how (not that I can ever figure out the thread drift around here), we ended up talking about serial commas and shortened spellings in a thread in the sysop section...

Gail
April 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Gail,

I was just kidding about the gloating and you're entitled, as I too remember the great teams Baltimore put on the field in those days. Being from Michigan, I hated the Yankees back then, as they almost always seemed to win one or two games more than we did. In 1968, I was still in the army, just back from 'Nam and couldn't get a pass to go to the games, so had to read about it in the Louiville Courier (SIGH). Mickey Lolich was my hero and in memory of his performance back then, here is his famous quote after the Tigers beat St. Louis that year. (He won 3 games)

"I guess you could say I'm the redemption of the fat man. A guy will be watching me on TV and see that I don't look in any better shape than he is. 'Hey Maude,' he'll holler, 'Get a load of this guy and he's a twenty-game winner.' " - Mickey Lolich, 1968 World Series

Michigan, huh? My husband is from Michigan, too.

We beat the Tigers yesterday in our home season opener, FWIW.

'Hey Maude,' he'll holler, 'Get a load of this guy and he's a twenty-game winner.' " - Mickey Lolich, 1968 World Series

Wonderful, simply wonderful! I don't know...... do they still make them that way? Not too many, I don't think. Maybe a Cal Ripkin, but who else? Maybe they do. I guess I really wouldn't know since I don't really follow the game anymore.

Gail
April 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Don't mind us. Somehow, and I haven't quite figured out how (not that I can ever figure out the thread drift around here), we ended up talking about serial commas and shortened spellings in a thread in the sysop section...

Don't worry about it. Being an old serial comma killer myself, I understand perfectly.

Anyone remember Sue T. from the old (read "real") Practice Forum about a dozen or so years ago? We used to call her CommaKazi. <g> She just loved, to use, commas. <lol>

Gail
April 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Nick is already doing the "be nice to the poor Orioles fan" bit, so I'll just indulge in a Bronx cheer....

Oh, PUH-leeeeeeeese. You're eating your heart out. You know it and I know it.

<uploading ketchup>

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Oh, PUH-leeeeeeeese. You're eating your heart out. You know it and I know it. <uploading ketchup>Let's see here... the Orioles today lost 3-1. The Yankees today won 10-1. Somehow I don't think "eating your heart out" applies in my direction.

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Anyone remember Sue T. from the old (read "real") Practice Forum about a dozen or so years ago? We used to call her CommaKazi. <g> She just loved, to use, commas. <lol>ROFL!!! Great name...

Gail
April 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Let's see here... the Orioles today lost 3-1. The Yankees today won 10-1. Somehow I don't think "eating your heart out" applies in my direction.

Ok, let's do a little review here.....

The "eating your heart out bit" was referring to the O's beating the Yankees (or Yankes) 2/3 on their home turf. Period. It had nothing to do with any games after that. I don't give a sh... what they did tonight. I didn't know the score of tonight's game, nor do I care. My only interest in baseball is the Yankees/Yankes losing. It's best if Baltimore or Boston is the team beating them, but I'm not fussy - any team will do. :)

Gail
April 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
ROFL!!! Great name...

Hehe. Yeah, it was. :)

ndebord
April 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Michigan, huh? My husband is from Michigan, too.

We beat the Tigers yesterday in our home season opener, FWIW.

Wonderful, simply wonderful! I don't know...... do they still make them that way? Not too many, I don't think. Maybe a Cal Ripkin, but who else? Maybe they do. I guess I really wouldn't know since I don't really follow the game anymore.

Gail,

Sure they do. The game has survived all kinds of scandals and new players emerge with astonishing skills. There's a guy out there right now at college level who pitches successfully from both sides (over the top as a rightie and sidearm as a leftie). Came into one game with a switch hitter and was "who's on first for a while, until the Ump dusted off the rules book and decreed that when the both the battter and the pitcher both stepped up to hit and pitch, that whatever side they were using, they had to continue to use it!

As for Lolich, little known fact was he knew a catcher of Satchel Paige and the guy told him that Satchel always took a scalding hot shower right after pitching. So Lolich did too. (Never any arm trouble!) He said nobody on the team would stand next to him in the showers!

As for the Tigers, they're a young team that enjoyed huge success last year. I expect they'll flounder for a bit at the start of this year as they're still basking in yesteryear's glory!

Meanwhile, I think Baltimore will do very well this year, even though they have probably inherited the title from The Principal Owner of the team with the craziest owner in baseball.

<g>

P.S. Nick from (at various times), (born in Ann Arbor at U of Michigan's med center (7 month premie), Midland, Copper Harbor, & Kawkawlin (next to Bay City).

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM
My only interest in baseball is the Yankees/Yankes losing. It's best if Baltimore or Boston is the team beating them, but I'm not fussy - any team will do. :)I feel the same way about the Redskins.

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I'll take the Yanks' performance in Minnesota any day. <g>

Lindsey
April 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
The game has survived all kinds of scandals and new players emerge with astonishing skills.
Usually thanks to heavy doses of steroids. That's why I no longer bother to watch even the World Series, the Superbowl, or the NCAA playoffs.

--Lindsey

Gail
April 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Gail,

Sure they do. The game has survived all kinds of scandals and new players emerge with astonishing skills. There's a guy out there right now at college level who pitches successfully from both sides (over the top as a rightie and sidearm as a leftie). Came into one game with a switch hitter and was "who's on first for a while, until the Ump dusted off the rules book and decreed that when the both the battter and the pitcher both stepped up to hit and pitch, that whatever side they were using, they had to continue to use it!

As for Lolich, little known fact was he knew a catcher of Satchel Paige and the guy told him that Satchel always took a scalding hot shower right after pitching. So Lolich did too. (Never any arm trouble!) He said nobody on the team would stand next to him in the showers!

As for the Tigers, they're a young team that enjoyed huge success last year. I expect they'll flounder for a bit at the start of this year as they're still basking in yesteryear's glory!

Meanwhile, I think Baltimore will do very well this year, even though they have probably inherited the title from The Principal Owner of the team with the craziest owner in baseball.

<g>

P.S. Nick from (at various times), (born in Ann Arbor at U of Michigan's med center (7 month premie), Midland, Copper Harbor, & Kawkawlin (next to Bay City).

Oh my! All that baseball talk. It kind of made my eyes glaze over, sort of like modems do. <g>

Craziest owner? Angelos? An arrogant SOB, for sure.

Tom was born and raised in St. Joseph, went to undergrad at U of M in Ann Arbor, and got his PhD at Wayne State. Hasn't lived there since.

Gail
April 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I feel the same way about the Redskins.

The Redskins?? How'd they get in here?

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2007, 11:31 AM
The Redskins?? How'd they get in here?They're sneaky.

Gail
April 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM
They're sneaky.

OIC. :rolleyes: