PDA

View Full Version : Thank heavens

Judy G. Russell
April 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
On the NY Times website just now:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission said on Tuesday that it has terminated a proceeding that considered the use of cellular phones on airplanes.I am soooo relieved. Planes are noisy enough as it is. Having people chatting away at full volume all the time would bring about a whole new wave of air rage...

Lindsey
April 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Planes are noisy enough as it is. Having people chatting away at full volume all the time would bring about a whole new wave of air rage...
Ain't that the truth!

By the way, check out this piece (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9210663) that aired Sunday on WESUN.

--Lindsey

earler
April 4th, 2007, 03:13 AM
It's bad enough when I have someone seated next to me on the métro (the paris subway) shouting into his cell phone.

ndebord
April 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
It's bad enough when I have someone seated next to me on the métro (the paris subway) shouting into his cell phone.

Earle,

Just once I want to do as the movies suggest. Grab the offender (the phone that is) and stomp away.

Jeff
April 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just once I want to do as the movies suggest. Grab the offender (the phone that is) and stomp away.

My cell phone jammer continues to work just fine; it doesn't stop the ring but it does stop the phone.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
By the way, check out this piece (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9210663) that aired Sunday on WESUN.Oh yeah right... and what does that clown think will happen when everybody hears the same ringtone and thinks it's their own phone? Not the best way to deal with this...

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
It's bad enough when I have someone seated next to me on the métro (the paris subway) shouting into his cell phone.At least on trains and subways, you can (at least theoretically, and when it's not packed at rush hour) get up and move away. On an airplane, they frown on you opening the door...

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Just once I want to do as the movies suggest. Grab the offender (the phone that is) and stomp away.The next time some idiot has one go off next to me in a theater, I may just do that... What drives me to fury is not that the idiots forget to turn the stupid things off (we're all human, we all forget from time to time), but when the stupid phones ring, they think they're obliged to answer and talk!

ndebord
April 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
At least on trains and subways, you can (at least theoretically, and when it's not packed at rush hour) get up and move away. On an airplane, they frown on you opening the door...

Judy,

Too bad you can't get the cell phone addict(s) to make like lemmings and open that door!

Lindsey
April 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah right... and what does that clown think will happen when everybody hears the same ringtone and thinks it's their own phone? Not the best way to deal with this...
Umm -- you did notice the date on that piece, yes? Sunday morning? April the 1st?

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Umm -- you did notice the date on that piece, yes? Sunday morning? April the 1st?Uh... nevermind. (It's been a hard week...)

Lindsey
April 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Uh... nevermind. (It's been a hard week...)
It fooled me, too, when I was listening to it only half-awake on Sunday morning. I was thinking "Four tones for the whole of one of the largest cities in the country? That will never work. And what about tourists?" Then when they played the four official tones, I still didn't catch on; I was wondering if the members of the New York city council had lost their collective mind, they were so uniformly awful. It wasn't until the very end of the piece, when the reporter said the ordinance was slated to take effect "one year from today, April 1st, 2008" that I slapped myself on the forehead...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
It fooled me, too, when I was listening to it only half-awake on Sunday morning.I have the excuse of only being half-awake most of the time.