PDA

View Full Version : business networks safe? fat chance :(

davidh
April 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM
Webroot Study Finds 43% of Firms Hit with Malware
By Brian Prince
March 28, 2007

A new report by Webroot Software has found that more than 40 percent of companies surveyed had been hit with malware that disrupted their business.

... 4.2 million of 250 million URLs around the world harbor malware. Almost 3 million of those malicious sites were discovered in 2006 alone, ...

... 26 percent of the more than 600 enterprises surveyed reported that confidential information had been compromised as a result of spyware.

... "Despite the growth and severity of malware, over 60 percent of businesses don't have a security plan. ... " ...
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2108963,00.asp

DH

P.S.
My security plan: mixed metaphor -- close the barn door after the crown jewels are lost

This is a corollary of: set up a backup plan after the whole hard disk has been lost

Call the psychic hotline for additional advice, or if they are unavailable contact Russian, Chinese, and Jihadist cyber warriors

Judy G. Russell
April 1st, 2007, 10:07 AM
A new report by Webroot Software has found that more than 40 percent of companies surveyed had been hit with malware that disrupted their business.Ouch. That's an astonishing percentage.

ndebord
April 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ouch. That's an astonishing percentage.

Judy,

Locking the barn door after the horse has bolted is not an unexpected response from business and individuals. I remember when I had W2000 running for that short period of time on this old laptop and got a rootkit. Now, even though I'm back to running W98se, I have a firewall, anti-virus and spyware apps and feel somewhat safer.

<weak grin.

Judy G. Russell
April 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Locking the barn door after the horse has bolted is not an unexpected response from business and individuals. I remember when I had W2000 running for that short period of time on this old laptop and got a rootkit. Now, even though I'm back to running W98se, I have a firewall, anti-virus and spyware apps and feel somewhat safer.I have all that stuff running on W2K as well... and sit behind a router too. But as Ralph discovered recently, that may not be enough.

davidh
April 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Ouch. That's an astonishing percentage.

Probably not if you consider that many business people and entrepreneurs would consider less than 15% ROI inadequate.

People are people, workers and bosses, software producers and software consumers, etc. Get rich quick is not exactly compatible with honesty and diligence.

DH

Judy G. Russell
April 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Probably not if you consider that many business people and entrepreneurs would consider less than 15% ROI inadequate. People are people, workers and bosses, software producers and software consumers, etc. Get rich quick is not exactly compatible with honesty and diligence.I hear you, but that's penny-wise and pound-foolish in this context. A little expense for prevention versus a major expense for cure? Even the biggest bean counter should understand that.