PDA

View Full Version : double DST "spring forward"

davidh
April 1st, 2007, 02:05 AM
Just a reminder.

For those, like me (with Win 98), who have unpatched or unsupported software (and/or firmware).

My Win 98 computer told me that it wanted to "spring forward" today (April 1).

That's all, folks.

DH

Judy G. Russell
April 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Just a reminder. For those, like me (with Win 98), who have unpatched or unsupported software (and/or firmware). My Win 98 computer told me that it wanted to "spring forward" today (April 1).Thanks for the reminder. My Win2K system did the same.

Lindsey
April 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the reminder. My Win2K system did the same.
I stopped by the office this afternoon, and noticed that the phone system there had done the same thing (so that it's now displaying an hour fast).

I never got around to modifying the WinXP system on my laptop, but I never changed the time, either, so now it's correct again.

I have a .DOC file at the office with a link to an edit utility that can be used in place of the regular WinXP patch (which I didn't want to apply because it reqires SP2, and I have shied away from installing that on this system). The edit utility lets you modify the DST rules on a time-zone-by-time-zone basis. I'll have to try to remember to upload it here. It can be used on non-WinXP systems.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
I have a .DOC file at the office with a link to an edit utility that can be used in place of the regular WinXP patch (which I didn't want to apply because it reqires SP2, and I have shied away from installing that on this system). The edit utility lets you modify the DST rules on a time-zone-by-time-zone basis. I'll have to try to remember to upload it here. It can be used on non-WinXP systems.I'd love to have a copy of that file. The last I heard, there wasn't anything realistic for Win2K.

Dodi Schultz
April 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
My Panasonic DVD/VCR deck did the same thing, but worse: It didn't "tell" me anything. It just went ahead, a couple of days after the time change (I'm not really sure which day; it wasn't that Sunday, but it was sometime that week), and "sprang forward." Good. It "knew" the right time. But then it did it AGAIN this past Sunday. So now, if I want it to record something at, say, 9 p.m., I have to tell it to go into action at 10 p.m. VERY annoying.

--DS

Judy G. Russell
April 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
it did it AGAIN this past Sunday. So now, if I want it to record something at, say, 9 p.m., I have to tell it to go into action at 10 p.m. VERY annoying.What's Panasonic doing, contracting out the firmware to Microsoft or something???

rlohmann
April 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
You're still running Win2K?

rlohmann
April 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
What's Panasonic doing, contracting out the firmware to Microsoft or something???When I saw Dodi's note, exactly the same question occurred to me. :)

Lindsey
April 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'd love to have a copy of that file. The last I heard, there wasn't anything realistic for Win2K.
Worked fine for my Win2000 Office PC. Attaching it now.

Oh, hmmm, it's an RTF file. Need to do a little wand-waving to be able to upload that file type... OK, presto!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Worked fine for my Win2000 Office PC. Attaching it now. Oh, hmmm, it's an RTF file. Need to do a little wand-waving to be able to upload that file type... OK, presto!Cool, thanks!

Lindsey
April 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Cool, thanks!
I think it's a really nifty utility. And should come in handy if Congress decides to muck with the DST rules again.

--Lindsey

Mike
April 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
And if you don't want to do a bunch of registry editing, you can download a small patch from IntelliAdmin (http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight%20Saving%20Fix%20Download.asp) to handle it for you (first item under the free downloads). I ran it on my W2K SP2 system and it worked like a charm. Gail used it on her old system that didn't have the proper XP patches.

Judy G. Russell
April 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
You're still running Win2K?Yep. I have this basic theory about computers: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Judy G. Russell
April 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
And if you don't want to do a bunch of registry editing, you can download a small patch from IntelliAdmin (http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight%20Saving%20Fix%20Download.asp) to handle it for you (first item under the free downloads). I ran it on my W2K SP2 system and it worked like a charm. Gail used it on her old system that didn't have the proper XP patches.Ooooh... that's very nice. Thanks, Mike!

Judy G. Russell
April 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
When I saw Dodi's note, exactly the same question occurred to me. :)ROFL. GMTA.

Mike
April 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
You're welcome, Judy. But full credit goes to Gail, because she was the guinea pig. <g>

Dodi Schultz
April 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
My Panasonic DVD/VCR has now gotten even weirder.

You'll recall that, all by itself, it sprang forward a couple of days after the actual change. Then it leapt yet again on April the oneth, the traditional changeday. So I proceeded to tell it, when I wanted to record something from 10 to 11, to do so from 11 to 12, and that worked fine.

Until last evening. It was still an hour ahead of the rest of us. I wanted it to record from 9 to 11, so I told it to do its thing from 10 to 12. And then--I was watching something (live) at around 8:30. I happened to glance at the beast. Its time readout said 8:30! I hurriedly reprogrammed it, and it duly recorded from 9 to 11.

This morning, it's still displaying correct EDT.

So: It glanced at the clock on the mantel, realized its mistake, and hastened to make amends and fix itself?

Anybody got another explanation?

And/or a guess what it's likely to do in the fall?

--DS

earler
April 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Set the time manually rather than automatically. That will resolve the problem.

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
So: It glanced at the clock on the mantel, realized its mistake, and hastened to make amends and fix itself? Anybody got another explanation? And/or a guess what it's likely to do in the fall?Sure, nope, and not a clue, in that order.

Mike
April 5th, 2007, 12:29 AM
My Panasonic VCR sets itself based on a signal sent from many PBS stations. Occasionally, it doesn't set itself, and I don't know if it's because it can't find that signal, or if the signal isn't being sent.

earler
April 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM
I've had similar problems. Then it is best to set the time manually.

Lindsey
April 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
My Panasonic VCR sets itself based on a signal sent from many PBS stations. Occasionally, it doesn't set itself, and I don't know if it's because it can't find that signal, or if the signal isn't being sent.
Or maybe because it's pledge drive week?

--Lindsey

sidney
April 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM

"Send us money or we won't give you the time of day!"

Lindsey
April 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
"Send us money or we won't give you the time of day!"
LOL!! Yep, that's exactly what it would boil down to!

--Lindsey

Dodi Schultz
April 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Mike, Lindsey, Sidney:

LOL!

I hadn't realized that Panasonic was picking up its clues from PBS. Yep, that would surely explain it. They NEVER seem to know what time it is.

Thanks!

--DS

Mike
April 6th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Isn't that every week? Well, except for auction week...

Lindsey
April 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Isn't that every week? Well, except for auction week...
It sure seems that way on my local station. I suspect PBS is in a precarious state these days. I further suspect that at least part of the problem is that there are people in government trying to dismantle it from the inside -- just as they have been doing with nearly every other government agency the last six years.

--Lindsey

Mike
April 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM
...trying to dismantle it from the inside -- just as they have been doing with nearly every other government agency the last six years.
Is PBS a government agency? I was under the impression that it was a private entity, but it received government funding.

Lindsey
April 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Is PBS a government agency? I was under the impression that it was a private entity, but it received government funding.
I probably should have said "CPB" which I think is something of a public/private hybrid. The President appoints people to the CPB board, and not surprisingly, his appointments have been highly controversial.

See, for example:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200612210008

http://www.democraticmedia.org/news/washingtonwatch/CPBsurveys.html

http://www.democraticmedia.org/news/washingtonwatch/CPBIGwatch.html

--Lindsey

Mike
April 10th, 2007, 01:12 AM
"CPB"
That makes sense.

Lindsey
April 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
That makes sense.
At least Tomlinson is gone, but he left plenty of "loyal Bushies" behind him.

--Lindsey