March 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Case: Antec P180B
Power Supply: Antec NeoHE 660 ATX
Motherboard: Intel 975XBX2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Video Card: ATI 100 FireMV2400
Memory: OCZ ATI Crossfire DDR2 800 (2)
Floppy: Sony Black 1.44 MB (OEM)
Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (2)
Optical Drive: Plextor 18X DVD+/-R DVD Burner
OS: Dual boot Vista Home Premium (OEM), SuSE Linux 10.2 (Free distro disk from a German Linux magazine, although Novell just offered me what appears to be the exact same system for $59.00.)

I expect with this machine (the order for the components goes out, mostly to Newegg, tomorrow) to advance materially the interests of Truth, Justice, and the American Way. I'm creating a database of available prison cells to accommodate the Usual Suspects.

<sneering with humble anticipation>

earler
March 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Are you joining jared paul stern's legal team then?

I would go for the business version of vista. The home version has some crippling that is annoying at least.

Judy G. Russell
March 30th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I expect with this machine (the order for the components goes out, mostly to Newegg, tomorrow) to advance materially the interests of Truth, Justice, and the American Way. I'm creating a database of available prison cells to accommodate the Usual Suspects.Sounds like fun... but I'm still not sold on Vista.

Mike
March 30th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I expect with this machine to advance materially the interests of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
Sounds like a speedy system. How long before it gets a rootkit?

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I would go for the business version of vista. The home version has some crippling that is annoying at least.Home Basic does; not Home Premium. (The business version carries a much higher price based on features I'll never use.)

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Sounds like fun... but I'm still not sold on Vista.Yeah. I have reservations, too; In fact, until quite recently I was swearing that I was going to wait for Vista SP1.

But then I got The Book (Building the Perfect PC, by Robert and Barbara Thompson (O'Reilly Publishing)), and started to slaver feverishly.

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Sounds like a speedy system. How long before it gets a rootkit? :(

I dunno. Assuming that what I had was indeed a rootkit, I still don't know how I got it, particularly with all the virus-killers, spyware detectors, and firewalls that I have on XP.

MS says that Vista security protection is much more effective than XP has, but the Bad Guys are pretty smart, too, so that assertion doesn't increase the quantum of warmness and fuzziness.

The only way I can see to deal with this is to back up stuff to a fare-thee-well. (I didn't lose a whole lot of data with the crash because I did back up regularly; what I did lose was a result of the failure of one of my safety devices, (Windows LOC) to make competent backups.)

Judy G. Russell
March 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
But then I got The Book (Building the Perfect PC, by Robert and Barbara Thompson (O'Reilly Publishing)), and started to slaver feverishly.A case of want instead of need. I know that feeling all too well...

Dan in Saint Louis
March 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Building the Perfect PC
The problem with building the "Perfect PC" is that by the time the parts arrive, there are better ones.

I tend to build the "Good-Enough PC." It has maybe 20% less performance than the king of the road, at about 1/3 the price. I'm now using one I built more than two years ago and I can't see any performance difference compared to the brand new models at the college.

Judy G. Russell
March 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
The problem with building the "Perfect PC" is that by the time the parts arrive, there are better ones.Tell me about it. I once spec'd out the best and the fastest of every component, built it, and had three of the key components (CD, MB and video card) get dropped in favor of MUCH better things literally -- no fooling -- two weeks after I got it built.

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM
started to slaver feverishly.

disambiguation of "slaver"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver

Apparently dungeon master and salivator would both work in this case...

DH

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM
disambiguation of "slaver"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver

Apparently dungeon master and salivator would both work in this case...

DH Wie sagt man "slaver" auf deutsch ?

DH

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Having avoided XP until now and fearful of treading on the Vista waters, I'm wondering about upgrading to "loop linux" sooner or later with a dual boot system. One of the main Windows type apps that I'd like to run on LINUX is Instant Messaging. As I understand it, AOL Instant Messenger and Jabber protocols are available on LINUX. If voice chat were also available (e.g. Google protocol) that would pretty much clinch the deal for me sooner or later.

DH

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder whether mere registry corruption was the cause of the problem, as opposed to malware, in spite of the alert you apparently got from your anti-malware apps whatever?

If this conjecture is correct then disk diagnostics might be advisable to run and/or current or future Vista patching?

DH

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Tell me about it. I once spec'd out the best and the fastest of every component, built it, and had three of the key components (CD, MB and video card) get dropped in favor of MUCH better things literally -- no fooling -- two weeks after I got it built.

I'm thinking that choosing hardware that is multi-OS compatible would be an advisable option for those users interested in general-purpose PC computing. This would probably limit the field of HW candidates greatly.

*And* this type of info might even be available on the Net without having to endure great hardships.

DH

heinz57g
March 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
>> Wie sagt man "slaver" auf deutsch ?

sklaventreiber!

greetings - heinz -

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
>> Wie sagt man "slaver" auf deutsch ?

sklaventreiber!(Vorausgesetzt, daß das Dein Ernst ist...)

Eigentlich nicht. In diesem Zusammenhang heißt das Wort etwa "sabbern" in einem leicht ironischen Sinne.

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well....

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
The problem with building the "Perfect PC" is that by the time the parts arrive, there are better ones.That is exactly what I'm not doing.

The only components that are even close to state-of-the-art are the CPU and the motherboard, and the only reason they are is that the Core2 Duo has essentially obsoleted the Pentiums (Pentia?) and the 975XBX2 is what Intel is now shipping in lieu of the 975XB.

It seems to be pretty common knowledge that that last 10-20% increment in performance is never worth what you pay for it.

This whole package is going to run me around $1550 plus shipping. The equivalent from Dell or Gateway would run well over $5000. (I know. I checked.)

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder whether mere registry corruption was the cause of the problem, as opposed to malware, in spite of the alert you apparently got from your anti-malware apps whatever?Unlikely. In the first place, I ran Registry Mechanic once a month or so. In the second place, The machine wouldn't even boot, much less get far enough to try to launch XP.

rlohmann
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I don't do IM, so I don't know whether anybody's ported that to Linux, but my guess is that it's probably out there. Most routine MS applications have readily available Linux equivalents. (Open Office is an entirely serviceable MS Office equivalent, and it's basically free.)

What you won't find are the exotic games. Civilization, Age of Empires, Sims, and others of that genre don't exist in the Linux world.

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
(Vorausgesetzt, daß das Dein Ernst ist...)

Eigentlich nicht. In diesem Zusammenhang heißt das Wort etwa "sabbern" in einem leicht ironischen Sinne.

It appears to me that Sie are collecting evidence against the guillty. Therefore one hesitates to submit to the Inquisition of the Righteous for fear of inability to hire (impecuniously?) the advocates of the Anti-Imam's or appease the advocates of the Imam's.

Woe unto us, unable to choose between the various brands of Political Correctness, may God give us guidance.

DH

Dan in Saint Louis
March 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
$1550 ... $5000
So you have also discovered the magic 3:1 cost factor.

davidh
March 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't do IM, so I don't know whether anybody's ported that to Linux, but my guess is that it's probably out there. Most routine MS applications have readily available Linux equivalents. (Open Office is an entirely serviceable MS Office equivalent, and it's basically free.)

What you won't find are the exotic games. Civilization, Age of Empires, Sims, and others of that genre don't exist in the Linux world.
I'm having enough trouble in the semi-real world, such that I much hesitate to involve myself in the virtual worlds of whatever game might be "out there".

DH

Judy G. Russell
March 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking that choosing hardware that is multi-OS compatible would be an advisable option for those users interested in general-purpose PC computing. This would probably limit the field of HW candidates greatly. *And* this type of info might even be available on the Net without having to endure great hardships.I'm sure that's true now. It wasn't back in 1990 or so when I did this.

rlohmann
March 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM
It appears to me that Sie are collecting evidence against the guillty. Therefore one hesitates to submit to the Inquisition of the Righteous for fear of inability to hire (impecuniously?) the advocates of the Anti-Imam's or appease the advocates of the Imam's.

Woe unto us, unable to choose between the various brands of Political Correctness, may God give us guidance.Huh?

rlohmann
March 31st, 2007, 09:17 AM
So you have also discovered the magic 3:1 cost factor.It seems to be pretty common knowledge.

davidh
March 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Huh?
Exactly.

DH