PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla and Earthlink Live Chat

Guerri Stevens
June 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM
I am using Mozilla, and I have Earthlink as my ISP (dial up, not cable or DSL). One of Earthlink's help options is live chat. The way it is supposed to work is that a window opens up with two boxes. The top box is the "conversation" and contains a message saying "my name is xxx, how may I help you".

I type my question/problem in the bottom box and click the send button. After a few seconds, what I typed appears in the top window.

Then the person on the other end is supposed to respond. But that never happens.

What happens is one of two things: after typing my question, instead of it appearing in the top window, a line appears in the top window saying "you are not in a live chat session". Or, I wait and wait and there is no answer from the other person, so I type another question, and then either get the "not a chat session" message or some message about the network connection not working.

I called on the phone and the person suggested a few things. One was that the connection had been broken, but I know that's not it because I can go on using the internet, so I am obviously still connected.

Another was that my anti virus software was interfering, which could be possible, but I am pretty sure I tried this once before installing the anti virus software.

Another was conflict with a firewall, but I am not using a firewall.

Yet another was something in my Mozilla settings. This is a possibility, so my question is whether anyone knows what setting(s) might be causing the problem.

The final suggestion was to try Internet Explorer next time and see if that works. And when I want to use the live chat again, I'll try that, but I would hate to think the feature requires IE!

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
There are two possibilities:

(1) It is written to use IE. (A cheap nasty trick which would make me disinclined to use the thing at all.)

(2) You may need to upgrade your version of Sun Java. Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and see what version you have installed. You should be using at least 1.4.2_08 (available here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html)) or 1.5 (sometimes called 5.0) (available here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp)).

Guerri Stevens
July 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
There are two possibilities:

(1) It is written to use IE. (A cheap nasty trick which would make me disinclined to use the thing at all.)

(2) You may need to upgrade your version of Sun Java. Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and see what version you have installed. You should be using at least 1.4.2_08 (available here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html)) or 1.5 (sometimes called 5.0) (available here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp)).

Sorry for the late reply. I checked Add/Remove Programs and Sun Java is not listed at all unless it is there under some really obscure name. I would expect that if it were needed, it would have automatically been downloaded at the time, but maybe that's not how it works. Or maybe that's how it works but only if you happen to be using IE in which case revert to your possibility number 1 <g>.

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
I checked Add/Remove Programs and Sun Java is not listed at all unless it is there under some really obscure name.
It's simply called Java 2 Runtime Environment. If you don't have that, chat is NOT going to work on Mozilla. And remember with the gecko-based browsers, it's up to the user to download the needed plug-ins. Unlike IE, Mozilla etc. won't assume that you want something -- and won't download it for you (with the attendant security risks).

Guerri Stevens
July 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
It's simply called Java 2 Runtime Environment. If you don't have that, chat is NOT going to work on Mozilla. And remember with the gecko-based browsers, it's up to the user to download the needed plug-ins. Unlike IE, Mozilla etc. won't assume that you want something -- and won't download it for you (with the attendant security risks).

I have nothing with Java in its name. Now, how would I have known I needed it? How would I know I need any plug-in?

And another good question is when I called the Earthlink support people, why wouldn't they have mentioned it. OK, ignore that last question. They probably know nothing about anything other than Internet Explorer.

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have nothing with Java in its name. Now, how would I have known I needed it? How would I know I need any plug-in?
When something doesn't work, you generally need a plugin. For sound, for video, for chat, you're definitely going to need a plugin.

Guerri Stevens
July 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
When something doesn't work, you generally need a plugin. For sound, for video, for chat, you're definitely going to need a plugin.
OK, so something doesn't work. How would I have known what plugin was needed? And would this be something that could be set up in Mozilla under Preferences>Navigator>Helper Applications or is that something totally different?

Judy G. Russell
July 3rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
OK, so something doesn't work. How would I have known what plugin was needed?
Usually one of two things happens: as a result of some code on the webpage, itself, the browser tells you it needs some plugin (and sometimes even takes you to the plugin site to download it); or the website designer puts a statement on the page that tells you what's needed.

For chat, the answer is almost always that you need Java. Java is built-in to IE, so you don't need to add Java for IE. Java is NOT built-in to the gecko-based browsers (Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox) so you need to add it. I gave you the download link above.

And would this be something that could be set up in Mozilla under Preferences>Navigator>Helper Applications or is that something totally different?
In this case, it's totally different because you don't have the application (Java) needed for chat.

Guerri Stevens
July 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
In my case, the browser didn't tell me it needed a plugin and there was nothing on the page that indicated such a need. I will have to remember this for the future. Thanks for all the information!

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Glad to help.