PDA

View Full Version : Portable FireFox - better than chopped liver!

ndebord
March 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
If you want portable for USB or even for your HD, this is the way to go. NO more issues with conflicting info stored in arcane windows sub-folders.

http://portableapps.com/

This is the only firefox I run now!

Judy G. Russell
March 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
If you want portable for USB or even for your HD, this is the way to go. NO more issues with conflicting info stored in arcane windows sub-folders.

http://portableapps.com/

This is the only firefox I run now!Interesting, and something I would certainly look at for travel. But not needed, really, for a stationary location.

Dan in Saint Louis
March 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
But not needed, really, for a stationary location.
Nor even for a flash drive. I don't WANT to give up the features that are sacrificed for "Portable," so I run the whole blamed full-sized app from a flash drive. We don' need no stinkin' registry.

davidh
March 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Nor even for a flash drive. I don't WANT to give up the features that are sacrificed for "Portable," so I run the whole blamed full-sized app from a flash drive. We don' need no stinkin' registry.

question #1:
So just install FF to a folder on the flash drive is all there is to it?

question #2:
Avoidance of use of Windows registry is made possible by the fact that FF is cross platform (e.g. LINUX) ?

question #3:
Where do you (personally) actually plug in your flash drive on additional computers besides your main PC ? I would think that good Windows policy settings at Internet Cafe's and Libraries would/should preclude accessing flash drives for reasons of better security?

question #4:
Can you still start up FF with multiple different personal profiles, etc.? (I forget the command line argument to do this, but I think -p might work?).

question #5:
Does safe mode also work ok when starting FF from USB (e.g. flash) drive?

DH

davidh
March 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Inquiring minds want to know:

Do the B vitamins and other nutrients in liverwurst (braunschweiger ?) balance out or more-than-compensate-for the nasty free-radicals produced by the addition of sodium nitrite and other preservatives in it?

DH

Judy G. Russell
March 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Do the B vitamins and other nutrients in liverwurst (braunschweiger ?) balance out or more-than-compensate-for the nasty free-radicals produced by the addition of sodium nitrite and other preservatives in it?Just what have you been smoking???

davidh
March 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Just what have you been smoking???
Not smoking, drinking.

Anheiser Busch "Hurricane" High Gravity, 8.1 % alcohol.

I hope that the level of B vitamins is higher in beer than in wine. I guess it works in English and German: vitamin B = beer/Bier :)

I hope that it is less toxic than wine, most of which contains sulfur dioxide as preservative :)

I've sworn off cigars for Lent. FYI: Petunias belong to the same family as tobacco, potato, tomato, peppers, angel trumpet, etc. (Solanaceae, I think.). Just don't smoke your petunias, sniff 'em. I'm not going to try eating crocus, I think even saffron (crocus) is mildly poisonous. Coltsfoot is good, blooms early like crocus but is edible too, but less showy and just yellow AFAIK.

BTW, even tho' tomato horn worms are arthropods like shrimp, I think I'll pass on 'em. Anyway, IIRC they are pretty ferocious.

DH

Dan in Saint Louis
March 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
question #1:
So just install FF to a folder on the flash drive is all there is to it?The easy way to get it right is to perform a normal installation to a hard drive, then copy the entire FF folder from "Program Files" to the flash drive.
question #2:
Avoidance of use of Windows registry is made possible by the fact that FF is cross platform (e.g. LINUX) ?My best guess would be that the registry is only used to associate HTML files with the browser. Since I already have FF open before I start browsing, I lose no functionality.
question #3:
Where do you (personally) actually plug in your flash drive on additional computers besides your main PC ? I would think that good Windows policy settings at Internet Cafe's and Libraries would/should preclude accessing flash drives for reasons of better security?If they ever do that they will lose a lot of customers. I use mine in my office at home, office at the College, College labs and library, and an engineering office where I do part-time consulting. Sometimes if I feel like answering email from the living room instead of my office, I plug it into my laptop.
question #4:
Can you still start up FF with multiple different personal profiles, etc.? (I forget the command line argument to do this, but I think -p might work?).Definitely. I actually start it with a one-line batch file on the flash drive:

start \Firefox\Program\firefox.exe -profile \Firefox\Profiles\travel

(The batch file allows me to build a command line that ignores the drive letter, for those situations where my flash drive does not mount as my usual "F:" choice.)
question #5:
Does safe mode also work ok when starting FF from USB (e.g. flash) drive?What's the safe mode?

Judy G. Russell
March 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
BTW, even tho' tomato horn worms are arthropods like shrimp, I think I'll pass on 'em. Anyway, IIRC they are pretty ferocious.Lemme know when the pink elephants show up...

davidh
March 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Safe mode does NOT load extensions.

I think the command line argument is "-safe_mode" or "-safe-mode".

Very useful , in case of problems booting up FF.

This allows one to disable extensions in cases where they cause problems, etc.

DH

Dan in Saint Louis
March 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM
This allows one to disable extensions in cases where they cause problems, etc.I see. That's why I never tried it.

davidh
March 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
Lemme know when the pink elephants show up...
Usually, I notice the 800 lb. gorillas before the elephants.

DH

Judy G. Russell
March 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Usually, I notice the 800 lb. gorillas before the elephants.Don't we all...