PDA

View Full Version : State Dept to GAO: You Can't Come In

Lindsey
March 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
This is rich. Having just been through a week with two teams of auditors poking around, and preparing for a visit from the federal guys later this month, I can only shake my head.

Congress wants the GAO to monitor and report on the US reconstruction efforts in Iraq; specifically, to monitor how reconstruction funding is being spent. To that end, the GAO asked the State Department to accommodate 3 auditors in Baghdad for 3 months. The State Department turned them down, saying it would be "a serious challenge to mission resources."

Twenty-two Democratic Senators, under the leadership of Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, sent a letter to Secretary Rice calling on her to reconsider. "American taxpayers are currently being asked to spend approximately $3,420 every second and $280 million per day in Iraq. It is imperative that GAO be given the access it needs to serve as the eyes and ears of the United States Congress...."

Not possible, one of Rice's underlings replied to Harkin, as "each of [the auditors] would require lodging, extensive support services, security, computers, and other administrative support, as well as the attention of our staff in Baghdad in responding to their requests and inquiries." But on further consideration, they could take them for 2 weeks rather than 3 months. And even that would be a considerable burden on the Embassy.

So the Senators revised their request. They're now asking for six months.

:D

--Lindsey

(Story and links to copies of two of the letters here (http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002733.php).)

Judy G. Russell
March 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM
So the Senators revised their request. They're now asking for six months. :DOh good for them!!! This is what I mean by the things they can do... and they'd better do.

Jeff
March 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I love it! Do I hear a year?

- Jeff

Lindsey
March 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Oh good for them!!! This is what I mean by the things they can do... and they'd better do.
Yeah, I rather liked that myself!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
March 14th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I love it! Do I hear a year?
There ya go! You have to think when somebody is reluctant to let a fairly small audit team in for even three months has got something to hide. So better go in and take a REALLY good look at what is going on over there.

--Lindsey