PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia and Washington DC

lensue
March 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Just back from a lovely trip--the Philadelphia Flower Show was really nice this year--we were two hours closer to Washington DC so we went down there for 4 delightful days--we hadn't been there in so long and there's always so much to see! We found the World War 2 Memorial very effective. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
We found the World War 2 Memorial very effective. That memorial is just stunning. I went there this past year to get photos (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/billyr) for my Uncle Billy, my mother's oldest brother, whose health will not permit him to go see it himself, and for the family of her brother, my Uncle Monte, who is no longer with us. I was most impressed.

lensue
March 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
>I went there this past year to get photos <

Judy, thanks for those photos--great shots! Here's one I took as we went past the White House--I think I see Lindsey in the photo! [Fleeing]

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Here's one I took as we went past the White House--I think I see Lindsey in the photo! [Fleeing]Y'know... it's nice to think that even in these troubled times we can protest so up close and personal to our national leaders. There's darned little else we're allowed to do any more!

lensue
March 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
> it's nice <

Judy, another nice thing about Washington is how many of their great museums are free to get into to.

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
another nice thing about Washington is how many of their great museums are free to get into to.That's because a lot of them are government owned or funded.

lensue
March 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
>That's because a lot of them are government owned or funded<

Judy, the various sections of the Smithsonian are truly amazing--we were walking in the rather exciting Chinatown/Gallery area and came upon one that's away from the Mall--we were lucky to get here--incredible building even without the art--I can't recommend enough! [g]

""The National Portrait Gallery shares with the Smithsonian American Art Museum one of Washington's oldest public buildings, a National Historic Landmark that was begun in 1836 to house the U.S. Patent Office. One of the nation's finest examples of Greek Revival architecture, the building has undergone an extensive renovation that showcases its most dramatic architectural features, including skylights, a curving double staircase, porticos, and vaulted galleries illuminated by natural light. The Lunder Conservation Center, the only fine-art facility of its kind, is an innovative new space that allows visitors to look through floor-to-ceiling windows as conservators care for the national treasures entrusted to both museums. The museums are collectively known as the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture, in honor of the museums' largest donor, the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation."

Lindsey
March 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
one of Washington's oldest public buildings, a National Historic Landmark that was begun in 1836 to house the U.S. Patent Office.
I guess it must have been the building that one was built to replace that burned in 1837, taking all or virtually all of the existing patent applications with it. One of my ancestors was issued a patent for a washing machine in 1810, and I would dearly love to see the application describing it! But it's gone. :(

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I guess it must have been the building that one was built to replace that burned in 1837, taking all or virtually all of the existing patent applications with it. One of my ancestors was issued a patent for a washing machine in 1810, and I would dearly love to see the application describing it! But it's gone. :( Oh my... another burned building, and not even the Yankees to blame!!

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
the various sections of the Smithsonian are truly amazing--we were walking in the rather exciting Chinatown/Gallery area and came upon one that's away from the Mall--we were lucky to get here--incredible building even without the art--I can't recommend enough!There's a lot of that tucked away in DC. Great city.

lensue
March 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
>There's a lot of that tucked away in DC. Great city.<

Judy, this could become a Goran yearly tradition--the Philadelphia Flower Show followed up with a trip to Washington/Baltimore! [g]

lensue
March 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
>I would dearly love to see the application describing it! But it's gone<

Lindsey, what a shame! Still if you ever get a chance to see it now what an incredible structure it is--they've cleaned it all up and the spaces are just superb! I took shots of it but my camera just couldn't capture the size and superb quality of the galleries.

Judy G. Russell
March 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM
this could become a Goran yearly tradition--the Philadelphia Flower Show followed up with a trip to Washington/Baltimore! [g]That would be a very nice tradition indeed. Sigh... I'll do that sort of thing myself when earning a living isn't top priority. I hope!

lensue
March 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
>I'll do that sort of thing myself when earning a living isn't top priority<

Judy, know what you mean--now that both Sue and I are retired we try to take certain economy measures when travelling--we found a motel in the town of shady Grove, Maryland with a price of $80 per night plus tax and it was near a metrorail stop--when I had gone on/line looking for other deals for our time frame there was nothing lower than $160 per night and most places were even higher! Washington DC is not the cheap city I seem to remember from former days.

Judy G. Russell
March 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Washington DC is not the cheap city I seem to remember from former days.I don't remember it as ever being cheap, except perhaps in comparison to NYC.

Lindsey
March 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Oh my... another burned building, and not even the Yankees to blame!!
A major-league hazard in the 18th and 19th centuries, for sure! <sigh>

--Lindsey

Lindsey
March 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Still if you ever get a chance to see it now what an incredible structure it is--they've cleaned it all up and the spaces are just superb! I took shots of it but my camera just couldn't capture the size and superb quality of the galleries.
I will definitely have to do that!

And yeah, the normal 35/50 mm lens isn't designed for capturing expansive spaces. Very frustrating sometimes!

--Lindsey

lensue
March 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
>I don't remember it as ever being cheap<

Judy, okay, so I'm older than you--sure, rub it in! [g]

Judy G. Russell
March 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
>I don't remember it as ever being cheap<
Judy, okay, so I'm older than you--sure, rub it in! [g]Hey I get older every year!

Judy G. Russell
March 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM
A major-league hazard in the 18th and 19th centuries, for sure! <sigh>Tell me about it. One of the key counties in my family history had its courthouse burn TWICE, and neither time was it because of the Yankees. (The first time, a story goes, it was some cousins of mine who wanted to make sure the key evidence for a trial they were facing was destroyed!)

lensue
March 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
>Hey I get older every year!<

Judy, even leap years? Regards, Len[leaping away!]

Lindsey
March 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM
(The first time, a story goes, it was some cousins of mine who wanted to make sure the key evidence for a trial they were facing was destroyed!)
LOL!! (Actually, I think something like that happened in New Kent as well.)

--Lindsey