PDA

View Full Version : Tom Eagleton

Dan in Saint Louis
March 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You may have seen that Missouri politician and former Vice-presidential candidate Tom Eagleton died a few days ago. Let me edit that: it is thought by many that he graduated from "politician" and deserved "statesman."

I was especially touched by a line in his obituary, which appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Educated at Saint Louis Country Day School, Amherst College, Harvard Law School and Oxford University. Served in the U.S. Navy. Served Missouri as United States Senator, Lt. Governor, Attorney General and Circuit Attorney for the City of St. Louis. Attorney with Thompson Coburn. Professor at Washington University in Saint Louis; Saint Louis University; Webster University and Rockhurst College. Author of "War and Presidential Power: A Chronicle of Congressional Surrender", "Our Constitution and What it Means'' and ''Issues in Business and Government''. Passionate collector of Expressionist and Contemporary German Art. Patron of many museums. Loyal companion to many dogs.

Lindsey
March 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Loyal companion to many dogs.
That says quite a lot! In fact, the whole obituary says a lot. The guy was a class act.

I think I will have to see if I can find a copy of War and Presidential Power. I believe that would be well worth reading.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I was especially touched by a line in his obituary, which appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

... Loyal companion to many dogs.Hard to argue with a man like that. I have often thought of Tom Eagleton over the years, and what a terrible price he had to pay for having been forced to admit publicly what is true of so many Americans privately: that occasionally we are overwhelmed, slip into depression and need treatment. I would hope that the amazing grace he showed in those terrible times has helped many people.

Dan in Saint Louis
March 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
This morning's paper named a few of the people that attended his memorial mass at St. Louis University's Saint Francis Xavier (College) Church:

John Danforth
Dick Durban
Ted Kennedy
Walter Mondale
Harry Reid

were there, even though Tom left Washington 20 years ago. He also got the last word (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/252754F3D39CACF78625729B0007FD94?OpenDocument).

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
He also got the last word (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/252754F3D39CACF78625729B0007FD94?OpenDocument).Wha t an absolutely lovely parting statement. Would I could do so well when my time comes...