PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Pitching

ndebord
March 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20070309_TB@NYY

Filling in for Carl Pavano, Jeff Karstens. And more than adequately it seems.

Judy G. Russell
March 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20070309_TB@NYY

Filling in for Carl Pavano, Jeff Karstens. And more than adequately it seems.Oh Lord... we finally get Pavano healthy and he ends up off the field because of lawsuits??? C'mon, Karstens!!!!!

ndebord
March 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Oh Lord... we finally get Pavano healthy and he ends up off the field because of lawsuits??? C'mon, Karstens!!!!!

Judy,

Not convinced it was the lawsuit that took Pavano out of the game, although that was implied in the story. We'll hear sooner or later why he left in such a hurry, just not yet.

Meanwhile Karstens did quite well for himself. Wonder if he can do long relief?

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Not convinced it was the lawsuit that took Pavano out of the game, although that was implied in the story. We'll hear sooner or later why he left in such a hurry, just not yet.I'm hoping it was only the lawsuit. If it's anything else... ulp...

Meanwhile Karstens did quite well for himself. Wonder if he can do long relief?Dunno. He sure looked good, but it is early yet.

ndebord
March 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping it was only the lawsuit. If it's anything else... ulp...

Dunno. He sure looked good, but it is early yet.

Judy,

Well, he looked pretty good last year when the Yankees were desperate and threw him into the fire at the tailend of the season.

Mike Landi
March 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Today, the papers said it was some serious medical situation with his girlfriend.

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Well, he looked pretty good last year when the Yankees were desperate and threw him into the fire at the tailend of the season.I just don't trust that our pitching is ever going to look good and us not be desperate...

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Today, the papers said it was some serious medical situation with his girlfriend.Ouch. Hope all is well. (Am I just too selfish to say I don't want anything distracting the pitchers we do have?)

Mike Landi
March 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I still question is mental fortitude. He does not seem to want to be a winner.

Hey...a question off subject here. Do you still have your Palm? A T5, right? My E died and I am strongly considering getting a T|X.

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I still question is mental fortitude. He does not seem to want to be a winner.That's the big question -- is he tough enough to be a Yankee?

Hey...a question off subject here. Do you still have your Palm? A T5, right? My E died and I am strongly considering getting a T|X.Off topic around here is normal! Yes, I still have the Palm -- mine is a T3. It's still rock solid, still working fine... and I'm paranoid about backing it up constantly to the Palm desktop software just in case!

Mike Landi
March 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Off topic around here is normal! Yes, I still have the Palm -- mine is a T3. It's still rock solid, still working fine... and I'm paranoid about backing it up constantly to the Palm desktop software just in case!
My E started losing its sound effects, which was not a big deal to me, but then the power button started to either not work or need a lot of pressure to operate. I knew that was not good. Then the screen started to lose alignment frequently.

Friday, it refused to turn on.

Fortunately, I back it up daily so I've not lost anything...except I don't have my calendar with me anymore! I hope a TX can restore data and apps from an E.

ndebord
March 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Landi]I still question his mental fortitude. He does not seem to want to be a winner.

Mike,

Perhaps you're right. Today's results from Spring Training.

The good news: Andy Petitte pitched 5 shutout innings in his Grapefruit League debut.

The bad news: Carl Pavano followed up with 3 innings and gave up 3 runs.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10066573

Judy G. Russell
March 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Fortunately, I back it up daily so I've not lost anything...except I don't have my calendar with me anymore! I hope a TX can restore data and apps from an E.I suspect that the data is fine but you may need to reinstall some of the apps.

Judy G. Russell
March 18th, 2007, 07:40 AM
The good news: Andy Petitte pitched 5 shutout innings in his Grapefruit League debut.
The bad news: Carl Pavano followed up with 3 innings and gave up 3 runs.Ouch... ouch ouch ouch. Can't we trade him for somebody (gasp) interested in being a Yankee, healthy and consistent???

ndebord
March 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ouch... ouch ouch ouch. Can't we trade him for somebody (gasp) interested in being a Yankee, healthy and consistent???

Judy,

With Cashman in charge, the Yankee farm system has been partially restocked. There are (hopefully) enough young arms there to fill in if Pavano or any other Yankee starter falters.

<crossing fingers and toes>

Judy G. Russell
March 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
With Cashman in charge, the Yankee farm system has been partially restocked. There are (hopefully) enough young arms there to fill in if Pavano or any other Yankee starter falters. <crossing fingers and toes>There are certainly some great arms there... maybe not good enough for the majors now, but if we don't trade 'em away fro short-term "gain" they'll be very nice for the future.

Mike Landi
March 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I think Carl Pavano will be an up and down pitcher this year. Probably show some flashes of talent, but also some frustrating performances. I'll bet he helps more than he hurts, but does not make the post-season roster.

Mike Landi
March 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Got the T|X. Excellent device.

I tried to follow the instructions, but had a disaster! This is my third Palm. My first was a m100, which I upgraded to a Tungsten E. Apparently, upgrading that to the T|X blew up something. I wound up with a corrupted T|X.

I had to hard reset it and then uninstall all Palm software (copying the folder to another location first.) Since I synch with Outlook, I did not lose any data. I had to reinstall a few games, but that was no big deal.

Now, I have Bluetooth and WiFi internet access, email on the fly (with multiple accounts), and a faster processor. The T|X has a feature I have never seen. You can turn on a "trace" of your pen strokes. That is handy for me when I am trying to write quickly. I can pick up a mistake easily and it is teaching me to print Graffiti 2 better.

Getting a free 1GB card wasn't bad either. <g>

ndebord
March 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
There are certainly some great arms there... maybe not good enough for the majors now, but if we don't trade 'em away fro short-term "gain" they'll be very nice for the future.

Judy,

Don't think that will happen anymore. Cashman is running things now and the right way I might add!

Meanwhile, Moose followed Petitte's lead and tossed 5 scoreless innings on Sunday.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20070318_PIT@NYY

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Don't think that will happen anymore. Cashman is running things now and the right way I might add!And it's about time. The last couple of years have made it quite clear that you can't simply expect to buy talent all the time, and much of the time the talent you think you're buying ain't worth the price. (Can we say "Randy Johnson," boys and girls?) You have got to grow some of your own... (Can we say "Andy Pettite," boys and girls?)

Meanwhile, Moose followed Petitte's lead and tossed 5 scoreless innings on Sunday.Nice. Very very nice.

Mike Landi
March 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I remember reading a story last month that the Yankee farm system is now one of the highest rated in the Majors (in terms of potential talent.) Good for Cashman!

ndebord
March 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I remember reading a story last month that the Yankee farm system is now one of the highest rated in the Majors (in terms of potential talent.) Good for Cashman!

Mike,

Yup, Cashman done good. Addition by substraction (Shef for one). One less unhappy camper. I suspect they might have kept Shef if he had kept his big mouth shut about not wanting to play first base. As it is, they still have four good outfielders for three positions. I suspect Melky will rotate to keep the older veterans fresher.

Mike Landi
March 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I like what I see with the team right now. We have a few extras, which is good when we have some older players who may need rest for one reason or another.

We always need pitching, and we seem to have some.

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I remember reading a story last month that the Yankee farm system is now one of the highest rated in the Majors (in terms of potential talent.) Good for Cashman!I can sure see that. And the upcoming pitchers... oh my. They sure do look good. Like most fans, I'd like to win now. But I'd like it even better to create a dynasty with a constant stream of young talent.

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
We always need pitching, and we seem to have some.Getting Pettite back was a Good Thing.

Mike Landi
March 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
But I'd like it even better to create a dynasty with a constant stream of young talent.

That requires a lot of patience and a lot of luck. You think that could be done twice in twelve years?

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
That requires a lot of patience and a lot of luck. You think that could be done twice in twelve years?If anyone can do it, Cashman can.

ndebord
March 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I like what I see with the team right now. We have a few extras, which is good when we have some older players who may need rest for one reason or another.

We always need pitching, and we seem to have some.

Mike,

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10070387

Karstens was only so-so today and Igawa is struggling, so perhaps there are others at AAA who can take a shot at the bigs.

Meanwhile, Wang, Mussina, Petitte ain't a half bad starting big 3.

Judy G. Russell
March 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Meanwhile, Wang, Mussina, Petitte ain't a half bad starting big 3.I'd just like to have one year -- one -- where we start with five solid pitchers. Solid. Is that too much to ask???

Mike Landi
March 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
The AP was saying today that Karstens may have pitched himself into the 5th spot and Igawa may be staying in the minors. He gave up a few runs, but threw 50 of 75 pitches for strikes and had gone 10 scoreless innings before today.

We may be in better shape than you think!

ndebord
March 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I'd just like to have one year -- one -- where we start with five solid pitchers. Solid. Is that too much to ask???

Judy,

Not all are as lucky as the Yankees when it comes to deep pockets and rotations:

"First we'll use Spahn
then we'll use Sain
Then an off day
followed by rain
Back will come Spahn
followed by Sain
And followed
we hope
by two days of rain."

Judy G. Russell
March 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
"First we'll use Spahn
then we'll use Sain"You know that Sain was a pitcher and a pitching coach for the Yankees after his stint with the Braves that resulted in that poem...

Judy G. Russell
March 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
We may be in better shape than you think!I would be thrilled to be proved wrong.

ndebord
March 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I would be thrilled to be proved wrong.

Judy,

I'm with Mike on this one. I think the starting rotation will be fine; the bullpen though only has one proven leftie (Meyers). Sean Hean has an outside chance to stick.

Judy G. Russell
March 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm with Mike on this one. I think the starting rotation will be fine; the bullpen though only has one proven leftie (Meyers). Sean Hean has an outside chance to stick.I hope you're right. But pitching always worries me. We need some young starting talent... The Pettite of years ago...

ndebord
March 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I hope you're right. But pitching always worries me. We need some young starting talent... The Pettite of years ago...

Judy,

Petitte had that arm surgery in Texas and is supposedly in better shape arm wise than he was before. Also, little known fact, is that he has one of the best knuckleballs in the game (according to Posada, who actively discouraged him from using it because he couldn't catch it!)!

Also, Hughes has learned Moose's knucklecurve (or rather a variation on it that suits his ability) and it is considered topnotch!

<VBG>

ndebord
March 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM

Mike,

Yanks lose 3-2 to the Pirates (but only four regulars played for the team).

Well, this maybe could be considered the farm system, or rather a continuation of pitchers from last year. Tonite Rasner pitched for the Yankees (the other, less heralded spot starter from last season) and went 4 1/3 innings, 7 hits, 1 run, 0 walks and 5 strikeouts!

Really quite impressive, as was Sean Hean, who pitched 1 1/3 innings in relief giving up zero runs, hits, base on balls with one striketout. Vizcaino pitched a perfect ninth inning. The only sour note was Colter Bean who gave up 3 hits and 2 runs in an inning.