PDA

View Full Version : CIS login problems

davidh
February 27th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I am not really asking for assistance here. This is more of a FYI.

I do not have a Classic ID for a year or two now. But I do have TWO AIM screennames.

My oldest screenname works on AIM and AIM mail but stopped working on CIS / Netscape / Propero forums when I signed up for aimphoneline a few months ago. So I just switched over to use my newer screenname instead to post to forums.

However I now discover that I can't access http://community.compuserve.com at all with either screenname. A page comes up that says I do not have right to access such pages when I try to go to community.compuserve.com with either ID. ID and PW needed even just to read, let alone post.

However, can still get into http://community.NETSCAPE.com with my newer screenname.

I still like to access the old forums once in a while. However, I am not interested in trying to diagnose this problem as long as at least there is some way to get in. However, perhaps I'll never see the Classic and CS2000 forums again.

DH

davidh
February 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
P.S. I repeatedly erase ALL cookies when testing and re-testing these problems , so cookie conflicts are very unlikely to be a problem.

I'm pretty sure AOL is changing stuff on the servers (wherever, etc.) but no way I'm going to try to debug their servers. Anyhow, a bug is just another kind of "feature".

DH

Gary Maltzen
February 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I participate in the Classic ( ws-cssoftware ) and CS2000 ( ws-cslivehelp ) forums regularly using my old (<30 days) AOL screenname.
For a non-privileged viewing experience I occasionally visit the forums using a CS2K or AIM screen name.
Invariably I use a community.netscape.com URL.

davidh
February 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I participate in the Classic ( ws-cssoftware ) and CS2000 ( ws-cslivehelp ) forums regularly using my old (<30 days) AOL screenname.
For a non-privileged viewing experience I occasionally visit the forums using a CS2K or AIM screen name.
Invariably I use a community.netscape.com URL.

To whom it may concern, if this is of any interest to whomever, etc.

Further details:

I can read forum messages on various forums if I go in thru community.netscape.com without logging in at all, as long as I don't try to post.

What has changed in my experience since earlier (e.g. 2006) is that going in thru community.netscape.com REQUIRES logging in, BUT even after login with AIM screenname, I am NOT allowed to view any forum home page or other forum page at all because "your account" is not allowed, etc.

So from now on I'll plan on using only community.netscape.com.

Since there does not appear to be a permanent link to the two compuserve-specific forums (classic and cs2000) on the main "community" / "channels" page when going thru community.netscape.com, I have to type a specific address such as http://community.netscape.com/cssoftware to access these two forums.

I suppose this all makes sense from AOL point of view, since the forums are now Netscape forums. I suppose that for actual paying Compuserve subscribers (classic and cs2000), the community.compuserve.com page, etc. probably still work.

One would hope that at least some Netscape forums are getting a little more traffic than we seem to be getting in the non-Dixonary sections here.

DH