PDA

View Full Version : GWB, Cheney and the Sunnis

ndebord
February 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM
In the New Yorker we read that GWB is pumping money into Sunni Islamists to counteract Shiites in the Middle East. It seems that some of the money is going to groups with ties to Al Qaeda, particularly in Lebanon.

Lindsey
February 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM
In the New Yorker we read that GWB is pumping money into Sunni Islamists to counteract Shiites in the Middle East. It seems that some of the money is going to groups with ties to Al Qaeda, particularly in Lebanon.
And by extension, that money is going to get funneled to al-Qaeda. That's taking "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" way too far for me, especially when we seem to be of two minds as to just who the enemy is.

Can we charge this entire administration with aiding and abetting terrorism and pack 'em all off to Guantanamo Bay for the rest of their natural lives?

Link to that article by Seymour Hersh, BTW: http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/070305fa_fact_hersh

Good commentary, too, by Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012669.php) on this plan, which, in his words, "takes strategic incoherence into truly uncharted territory."

Which side are we on?
Which side are we on?

--Lindsey

ndebord
February 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
And by extension, that money is going to get funneled to al-Qaeda. That's taking "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" way too far for me, especially when we seem to be of two minds as to just who the enemy is.

Can we charge this entire administration with aiding and abetting terrorism and pack 'em all off to Guantanamo Bay for the rest of their natural lives?

Link to that article by Seymour Hersh, BTW: http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/070305fa_fact_hersh

Good commentary, too, by Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012669.php) on this plan, which, in his words, "takes strategic incoherence into truly uncharted territory."

Which side are we on?
Which side are we on?

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Brings new meaning to the historical term "Mad King George."

Lindsey
February 27th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Brings new meaning to the historical term "Mad King George."
On TPM, he's often referred to as "the boy king," which strikes me as right on target. He's a lot like an overgrown adolescent. The mad one, I think, is Dick Cheney, the Iago in the court.

--Lindsey

ndebord
February 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM
On TPM, he's often referred to as "the boy king," which strikes me as right on target. He's a lot like an overgrown adolescent. The mad one, I think, is Dick Cheney, the Iago in the court.

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

I don't think I can think of an American historical or fictional character scary enough to measure against Dick Cheney. He is that bad.

Lindsey
February 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I don't think I can think of an American historical or fictional character scary enough to measure against Dick Cheney. He is that bad.
This is not an American fictional character, but when PBS was broadcasting their latest remake of "Bleak House" some months back, the character of Mr Tulkinghorn (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/bleakhouse/whoswho/chancery_tulkinghorn.html), Sir Leicester Dedlock's soliciter, always made me think of Dick Cheney. Except that the very sinister Tulkinghorn was at least competent.

--Lindsey

ndebord
February 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Yet, Bush is the titular head of state here and he scares me with his madness as I recall this little slice of history.

As Cheney ducks bombs abroad and Bush gears up for one last hurrah against Iran, our failure to remember the lessons of history will endanger us all in this critical moment.

A case in point is the old quote [just reprinted in Salon] about GWB from Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath who told the BBC in 2005 that Bush had confided in him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian president: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

One would hope that the Democratic majority in Congress and some Republicans with backbone, will stop this meglomanic from saying "God will tell me to go and end the Axis of Evil in Iran" and try to do so unilaterally.

Lindsey
February 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM
As Cheney ducks bombs abroad
Ironic, isn't it? He goes abroad to duck the virtual grenades being lobbed at him here, only to come within about an hour of being blown up for real. I wonder if that will change his opinion of the grand success of this venture? No, I didn't think so.

Black humor -- seen in a sig line on TPM: "Iranians are fighting the Americans in Iraq so they don't have to fight them on the streets of Tehran".

and Bush gears up for one last hurrah against Iran
I found this to be both scary and somewhat encouraging:

SOME of America’s most senior military commanders are prepared to resign if the White House orders a military strike against Iran, according to highly placed defence and intelligence sources.

Tension in the Gulf region has raised fears that an attack on Iran is becoming increasingly likely before President George Bush leaves office. The Sunday Times has learnt that up to five generals and admirals are willing to resign rather than approve what they consider would be a reckless attack.

“There are four or five generals and admirals we know of who would resign if Bush ordered an attack on Iran,” a source with close ties to British intelligence said. “There is simply no stomach for it in the Pentagon, and a lot of people question whether such an attack would be effective or even possible.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article1434540.ece

It's scary that things have gotten to the point that as many as four or five of the highest level officers in the military are seriously contemplating the possibility they might have to resign on principle. But its reassuring to know that they they would be willing to make such a stand on principle. There still are people at the highest levels who have not drunk the Kool-Aid.

One would hope that the Democratic majority in Congress and some Republicans with backbone, will stop this meglomanic from saying "God will tell me to go and end the Axis of Evil in Iran" and try to do so unilaterally.
Yes, one would hope so. And one would hope that they will develop that backbone and act on it before it is too late. The current dithering is not encouraging. The polls are behind them -- what are they waiting for?

--Lindsey

ndebord
March 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
Lindsey,

The problem with the resignation (or retirement) of military leaders is an old one. Those that are left, do the bidding of their masters. In the case of Iran, that means the Air Force, which has split philosophically from the Army and Navy on this issue. There are still the LeMay descendents (who never find a target they can't find a reason to bomb) and the new religious adherents who populate the Air Force's top ranks. Supposedly the Air Force Chief is not against bombing Iran.

Lindsey
March 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
The problem with the resignation (or retirement) of military leaders is an old one. Those that are left, do the bidding of their masters. In the case of Iran, that means the Air Force, which has split philosophically from the Army and Navy on this issue. There are still the LeMay descendents (who never find a target they can't find a reason to bomb) and the new religious adherents who populate the Air Force's top ranks. Supposedly the Air Force Chief is not against bombing Iran.
Yes, but: the resignation of 4 or 5 top brass all at the same time would get people's attention. Maybe even to the point that they took to the streets and demanded to be heard. The Air Force alone cannot do but so much. Look at the Israeli attempt to defeat Hezbollah with air power last summer. They did a lot of damage to Lebanon, but Hezbollah is still there, and perhaps even stronger than ever.

--Lindsey

ndebord
March 2nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yes, but: the resignation of 4 or 5 top brass all at the same time would get people's attention. Maybe even to the point that they took to the streets and demanded to be heard. The Air Force alone cannot do but so much. Look at the Israeli attempt to defeat Hezbollah with air power last summer. They did a lot of damage to Lebanon, but Hezbollah is still there, and perhaps even stronger than ever.

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

We can inflame all the Shiites in the region. How's about no friends among the Sunnis or the Shiites. Unless you count the local dictatorships.

It's kind of funny when you think about it. The two countries we count upon as our bulwarks, both support Islamic Fundamentalism (Pakistan and Saudia Arabia).

Lindsey
March 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
We can inflame all the Shiites in the region. How's about no friends among the Sunnis or the Shiites. Unless you count the local dictatorships.
Yeah -- I keep forgetting that the purpose of this exercise seems to be to make the problem worse, not better. :rolleyes:

The two countries we count upon as our bulwarks, both support Islamic Fundamentalism (Pakistan and Saudia Arabia).
Which is exactly the point that a lot of use wild-eyed leftie types have been trying to make for almost the last five years. If we really wanted to go after a country was providing support to al-Qaeda, Iraq was not the country to invade.

--Lindsey