PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for the game

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Let me make the following suggestion for the game, now that the RSS feed has been turned on here in this new forum and, as Daniel Widdis says, posts in this forum can be echoed to the Yahoo group for those who NEED mail only.

Try it here in the new forum for six rounds. If it really doesn't work, with the RSS echoing to the Yahoo group, then move to Yahoo and try it there for six rounds.

Daniel Widdis
May 27th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Let me make the following suggestion for the game, now that the RSS feed has been turned on here in this new forum and, as Daniel Widdis says, posts in this forum can be echoed to the Yahoo group for those who NEED mail only.
Whoa. Before we go too far here, I have just done some preliminary testing with the RSS feeds.

1. The RSS feed only contains the first post in a thread. This will work fine for posting the word, and posting the definition. However, people in email won't be able to follow along with the entire discussion using this (very simple) solution, unless they use the included HTML link in the RSS feed to go to the forum. It's still possible to build a script to parse the threads and post them, but that'll take me longer than the 2 minutes it took to do the RSS forwarding.

2. The emails generated by the program I'm using make the emails appear to come from the address "bozo@dev.null". I'm not sure if that's something with my program or a setting that could be tweaked on the RSS feed. I'm working on that. But yahoogroups won't accept an email from an address that is not registered, so I still don't have it posting to the yahoo list.

Try it here in the new forum for six rounds. If it really doesn't work, with the RSS echoing to the Yahoo group, then move to Yahoo and try it there for six rounds.
Given the current state of things, my suggestion would be to move to the Yahoo group now and get things started. I'll continue to work on ways to cross-post (note that posting TO the forum will be a tough nut to crack) and/or post more detailed messages to email.

Daniel Widdis
May 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM
2. The emails generated by the program I'm using make the emails appear to come from the address "bozo@dev.null". I'm not sure if that's something with my program
Found my setting and tweaked it.

New threads here are now posted to the yahoogroups list within about an hour of being posted. (The RSS feed updates hourly.)

Daniel Widdis
May 27th, 2005, 01:28 AM
1. The RSS feed only contains the first post in a thread.
Actually, not even that. It just contains an abbreviated portion of the first post. I think that's configurable, but...

In any case, the RSS feed is activated to notify coryphaeus list members of new posts here, should they wish to click on the link and read them.

However, RSS will not be useful for cross-posting. I can, possibly, write something, but will hold off long enough for people to try the game on the mailing list and see if it's an acceptable "primary" home.

And I'll work with the moderators here to look into other options.

Dan

Paul Keating
May 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM
This suggestion won't work for Dixonary. All of the messages forwarded via RSS to Yanoo appear to come from Dan. So the only way you can tell who voted for what is to look at the signature.

Dixomatic has a Tapcis file interface. Coryphæus has that, plus one for CompuServe WebView, plus one for email. Switching abruptly to new forum software breaks them both.

Daniel Widdis
May 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM
This suggestion won't work for Dixonary. All of the messages forwarded via RSS to Yanoo appear to come from Dan. So the only way you can tell who voted for what is to look at the signature.
Paul,

We're already working on a non-RSS alternative and making sure messages are identifiable. This suggestion was posted before we knew what the RSS feed looked like.

Dixomatic has a Tapcis file interface. Coryphæus has that, plus one for CompuServe WebView, plus one for email. Switching abruptly to new forum software breaks them both.

It is our goal to make sure that everyone can play the game via email only (perhaps even using TAPCIS).