PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird: Re-Editing Messages

Guerri Stevens
June 19th, 2005, 07:43 PM
If I write a message to someone and save it with "send later", I don't see a way to edit it later, or add to it. Yes, I know I can use Edit as New, but when I'm done, and choose "send later" I end up with two messages: the original and the edited version, and I have to delete the original.

And yes, I know that instead of "send later" I could save the message as a draft, which I assume could be revised before sending (I have not tried this). But that means assuming that it is likely that I would want to edit it. Mostly I don't want to edit messages I write, when I do want to edit one, it's usually an afterthought.

Is there possibly something I've overlooked here?

Mike
June 20th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I think those features haven't really been fleshed out. To be safe, I always save as a draft, just in case I might want to edit.

Guerri Stevens
June 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I could save everything as a draft, but then everything would have to be re-processed in order to send. Or maybe not. I suppose I should experiment.

Lindsey
June 20th, 2005, 09:27 PM
My assumption (and I'm using Mozilla, not Thunderbird) was that "Send later" meant "I've finished writing and editing this, and I'm ready to send it except that I don't have a connection available right now." (So the only real option you have after that is to send the message. Those messages may get sent automatically when you establish a connection if your preferences are set with that option selected, but I can't find anything in Help that explains that option, and my own e-mail is set up to ask whether or not unsent messages should be sent at connection.) In any event, the Help in Mozilla is clear that if you want to be able to edit it later, you need to save it as a draft.

--Lindsey

Dick K
June 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
When you choose "Send Later," the message is placed in a folder called "Unsent Messages." Should you later want to edit the message before sending it, open that folder, right-click on your message title, and from the context menu that will appear, choose "Edit as new..."

When you are finished, you can either really send the message or choose to "Send Later" once again. In either case, your original unsent message will still be in the Unsent Messages folder, and you can delete it.