PDA

View Full Version : Tallhassee FreeNet closing

davidh
February 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Tallhassee FreeNet closing :(

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702010373

DH

P.S. Their telnet server (UNIX shell accounts) went down a couple years ago. This will be complete shut down.

P.P.S. SAILOR (MD) LYNX service to guests closed summer 2006

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
That's too bad, in a way, but I loved the quote from the guy who said their goal always was to put themselves out of business.

davidh
February 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
That's too bad, in a way, but I loved the quote from the guy who said their goal always was to put themselves out of business.

Well at least there should be plenty enough things breaking in the world for a while to keep technicans, mechanics, lawyers, doctors, ... busy for a while.

DH

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Well at least there should be plenty enough things breaking in the world for a while to keep technicans, mechanics, lawyers, doctors, ... busy for a while.And the cops. Don't forget the cops!

davidh
February 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM
And the cops. Don't forget the cops!
and drill sergeants :(

Judy G. Russell
February 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
and drill sergeants :(If you don't mind, I'd like to stay verrrrrrrry far away from drill sergeants.

davidh
February 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If you don't mind, I'd like to stay verrrrrrrry far away from drill sergeants.
I was at Fort Dix for basic training in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis. My drill sergeant was a tough dude. He had been left for dead on the battlefield in Korea and only later was rescued by the medics. It's a job, and a profession, and it puts bread on the table, but I'm sure another reason that these guys are tough is that they really want the troops to survive on the battlefield. After all, many of us are still Americans regardless of our color or religious or non-religious persuasion, even in spite of the fact that our Commander-in-Chief listens too much to ideologues and political hacks and probably is one himself.

DH

Judy G. Russell
February 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
It's a job, and a profession, and it puts bread on the table, but I'm sure another reason that these guys are tough is that they really want the troops to survive on the battlefield.I credit drill sergeants with all of the good motives in the world... but that doesn't mean I want one in my face all day long for eight weeks or more. I'm the type who runs with scissors, not the type who takes orders.

davidh
February 21st, 2007, 09:55 AM
I credit drill sergeants with all of the good motives in the world... but that doesn't mean I want one in my face all day long for eight weeks or more. I'm the type who runs with scissors, not the type who takes orders. Maybe sysop should wear flak jacket.

DH

Judy G. Russell
February 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe sysop should wear flak jacket.Sysops already wear asbestos underwear!

davidh
April 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
tfn.net is back up again.

Accounts used to be free to residents of AL, GA, FL. Application now is only by snail mail, I think.

Shell access is only by SSH. Telnet is not allowed since it is insecure.

Windows SSH Secure Shell Initial Connection and Transferring Files.

To use these instructions it is necessary to download and install SSH Secure Shell for Windows. If you haven't downloaded this application, do so now:

SSH Download
SSH Communications Window Client (Version 3.2.9, which includes support for pass-thru printing)
http://www.colorado.edu/its/docs/authenticate/win_ssh.html

The mentioned app is apparently a limited version of commercial software. Seems to work ok on my Win XP.

FWIW, Apparently there is a SSH plug-in for TeraTerm Pro for anyone who might still be using it for direct dial up access to such things as non-GUI bulletin boards , library catalogs, etc. to be able to kill 2 birds with one stone , i.e. plain text ASCII comms PLUS SSH.

David H.