PDA

View Full Version : Envelope Coding for Threads

Guerri Stevens
June 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I have been trying to improve my efficiency by using clues provided by the envelopes to the left of the thread titles, but I find that I don't understand them and I wonder whether using them to decide what to read isn't going to work. So I've been looking at the last post dates too.

On the first screen of the threads for this forum (Forum Use and Help), I see the following kinds of envelopes:

Closed blue envelope
Closed blue envelope with arrow
Closed orangey envelope (maybe you'd call it red)
Closed orangey envelope with arrow
Open light yellow (tan?) envelope with papers sticking out

Closed blue envelope: my theory was that thread has no new posts. But the forum bug thread is a closed blue envelope, yet there was a post today at 9:16 p.m. And if the "no new posts" idea is right, does that mean since I last logged on (i.e. is it keyed to me), since yesterday (not keyed to me), or something else? I don't remember how this envelope looked when I logged on.

Any color with arrow: my theory is that these are topics in which I've posted messages.

Closed orangey envelope: new material??? But does this just mean there are messages I haven't read? The blacklisted thread has the orangey envelope and the last message (as I write this) was 11:07 pm on the 16th. I don't think
I was up that late, so this probably does mean at least one message I haven't read, but that could be true of the bug thread, so why the different colors?

Open light yellow envelope with papers sticking out: can't find this one now. Possibly it means a new thread? And new since when - really another question of whether this is keyed to me (i.e. new to me) or to something else.

If I'm right about the arrows, that would imply that what shows (color, etc.) is indeed keyed to me.

Guerri Stevens
June 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hmm, I just discovered that way at the bottom of some screens is a little explanation of the envelopes! The question still remains about whether this is keyed to me. I guess I could test that by not logging in, looking at the envelopes, then logging in and seeing what has changed.

Lindsey
June 18th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I haven't paid much attention to the graphics. I use the "New Posts" link on the main menu bar, and then work my way down the list that produces.

--Lindsey

Nick Parkin
June 19th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Hi Lindsey,

I too am starting with the New Posts, but it isn't working very well for me - the other day it didn't work at all, but when it does work it is "Thread Titles which have had new posts in them".

Getting the text when you hover the mouse is kule though!

Nick

I haven't paid much attention to the graphics. I use the "New Posts" link on the main menu bar, and then work my way down the list that produces.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
June 19th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I am set up with the hybrid view, and have been reading by thread. Possibly it is more efficient to do what you do, and read sequentially, or whatever it's called, and just look at new posts.

Lindsey
June 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I too am starting with the New Posts, but it isn't working very well for me - the other day it didn't work at all, but when it does work it is "Thread Titles which have had new posts in them".
Yeah, and if you're using thread view or hybrid view, you'll see orange squares in front of the new messages in the tree and blue squares in front of the previously read ones. In linear view, you'll only see those squares in the top left corner of the title bar on each message, but you'll also have a "View First Unread" link at the very top of the thread which will take you right to the first unread message in that thread.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I am set up with the hybrid view, and have been reading by thread. Possibly it is more efficient to do what you do, and read sequentially, or whatever it's called, and just look at new posts.
I find that linear view works best for me, but I would hesitate to say there was any one "most efficient" way to do things. Much depends on what is most comfortable for the individual.

--Lindsey

Nick Parkin
June 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM
Fantastic Lindsey, that's going to make my life a lot easier!

Yeah, and if you're using thread view or hybrid view, you'll see orange squares in front of the new messages in the tree and blue squares in front of the previously read ones. In linear view, you'll only see those squares in the top left corner of the title bar on each message, but you'll also have a "View First Unread" link at the very top of the thread which will take you right to the first unread message in that thread.

--Lindsey