PDA

View Full Version : Pix with post or just in profile?

dgermann
May 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi--

Is the user picture supposed to be just in the profile or is it supposed to appear with each post?

Thanks!

Judy Madnick
May 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Is the user picture supposed to be just in the profile or is it supposed to appear with each post?
From what I can tell, it just appears with the profile. The "avatar" usually shows up with the post, but I don't seem to be able to choose one. :mad:

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Members are allowed to use an avatar if they want to. (At least I think that's the way the board is set up.)

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
As a Member now, you should be able to choose an avatar.

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 03:40 AM
From what I can tell, it just appears with the profile. The "avatar" usually shows up with the post, but I don't seem to be able to choose one. :mad:I am also currently unable to upload an avatar. In Edit Avatar in User CP under "Your Current Avatar" the "Do not use an avatar" button is selected and cannot be deselected. No Custom Avatar box appears below. On DTP Forum I have an avatar set; I don't recall now what, if anything, I had to do to get the Custom Avatar options to show up.

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Try again now that you're a Member (this is a members-only feature on this board).

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Wheee! There's my big "baby" girl. ;-)

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Glad it worked! And the nice thing is, people who like avatars etc. can see it and those who don't can turn it all off (UserCP | Edit Options).

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, I really like all of the choices this software offers.

Nick Parkin
May 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I've never had an Avatar before :D

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Well, you picked a good one! :)

dgermann
May 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
What's the difference between a picture and an avatar, when would you use each, please?

dgermann
May 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
OK, now I have my pix in both places and I see it is already appearing with the posts.

Still don't know if that is proper usage or where you'd use one over the other.

Thanks.

Bill Hirst
May 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
OK, now I have my pix in both places and I see it is already appearing with the posts.

Still don't know if that is proper usage or where you'd use one over the other.

Thanks.

The only difference I can see is avatars are limited to 50x50 pixels, and profile pictures can be 100x100. Both are a bit small to hold much detail.

Judy G. Russell
May 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
An avatar is the small picture that appears with every message you post. They're small because they take up bandwith to show every time. The profile photo is one someone sees when the person clicks on your name in order to find out what public info you've posted. It can be bigger because it's only displayed when someone wants to see it.

dgermann
June 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks Bill and Judy!

Nick Parkin
June 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Well, you picked a good one! :)

Ear ear

Tho I have some signature work to get a round to. Anyone got a round tuit I can borrow?