PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Open in Tab

Guerri Stevens
June 16th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Is there a shortcut key for opening a link in a tab in Mozilla? I've been pointing at links and right clicking to do it.

Which reminds me that today at one point when I did that, I don't get the "open in tab" message. The page opened in a new window and refused to give me a choice.

Gary Maltzen
June 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Is there a shortcut key
Ctrl-click

Lindsey
June 16th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Which reminds me that today at one point when I did that, I don't get the "open in tab" message. The page opened in a new window and refused to give me a choice.
It depends on what the link actually is. If it's a pop-up window (which I think uses Javascript), you can't open it in a tab, you have to let it do its own thing.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
June 17th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Ctrl+click doesn't work. I think it works for a URL, but not, for instance, to open a thread here.

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Where are you trying to click in order to open a thread here?

Lindsey
June 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Where are you trying to click in order to open a thread here?
Dunno about Gueri, but if I Ctrl-Click on a thread title, it opens in a new window. That might be because I don't have some option set to use Ctrl-Click. I haven't bothered--I don't like hybrid keyboard-mouse actions as a rule, and some vendor documentation we have at work that requires Ctrl-Click to open a link at all drives me nuts. I prefer all mouse or all keyboard, so I just right-click on the link and then click the "Open in new tab" link.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
It works for me as well. That's why I need to know what Guerri may be trying, specifically, since it may be something I'm not seeing.

Lindsey
June 24th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Oh. Well, her complaint was that it was opening in a new window rather than a tab, and that's what it does for me as well, but I think that's what Ctrl-click always does for me.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
It's usually a setting -- in Mozilla, Edit | Preferences | Navigator | Tabbed Browsing, and then set the option on the right hand side.

Guerri Stevens
June 28th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Judy, I don't remember what exactly I was trying to ctrl+click on. However, I just went into my settings and "Open Tabs instead of Windows for" did not have a check for "middle click, ctrl+click, ..." so I checked it.

I'll see if I can figure out what I was trying to do, exactly.

Hmm, another thing is that I have a touch pad and I usually "click" by tapping the pad, not using one of the buttons.

Mike
June 29th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I use Ctrl+Click on my touchpad to open a new tab in Firefox, and it works just fine.

Judy G. Russell
June 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I just went into my settings and "Open Tabs instead of Windows for" did not have a check for "middle click, ctrl+click, ..." so I checked it.
That's the answer then. And CTRL+touchpad works just as well now that you have the settings right.

MollyM/CA
June 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I'm using my laptop here all the time now and ctrl-tap (touchpad) works fine. One thing --I remapped the keys and for some weird reason, until I installed service pack 2, the remapped "control" (now on left CapsLock key) only worked for editing, not for "program" type things. I had to use the unchanged right control-tap.

Guerri Stevens
June 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Yes, it seems to be working now. I am slowly getting the hang of things here, but it is just not the same as telling TAPCIS to log on and grab all the new stuff (sigh).

Judy G. Russell
June 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
it is just not the same as telling TAPCIS to log on and grab all the new stuff (sigh).
I know... I know...