PDA

View Full Version : Rules of this BAR

woodswell
June 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I found these rules in some old junk. Obviously most of these rules would NOT apply here, but I thought they were fun :p

Rules of this BAR

1. ONLY 2 to a stoole.
2. No talk of RELIGION or POLITICS.
3. No pinching, petting, or patting of any part of the anatomy of the tender gender without their expressed permission.

4. NO CHECKS, CHITS, CHARGE-O-PLATES or ARMENIAN money accepted.
5. Those drinking RUM must stay by themselves, preferably near the window.
6. Thoes given to lopude words or cheape whiskey, weake drinks and padded bills had better leave now to save arguments later.

7. LADIES: KEEP (.) (.) OFF the BAR.

8. Tinkers, Pig-Stye keepers, bankers, hair dye salesmen, newspaper people, cess-poole engineers, card sharks, interior decorators will NOT be served. OTHER salemen, confidence men, advertising and television people, artificial inseminators and politicians will be served in the washe-roome.

9. Of course, CREDIT will be extended to NO ONE at NO TIME by NO ONE.
10. NONE of the fore-going rules shall apply to the "TENDER-OF-THE_BAR".

By order of X
Tender of the Bar

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
9. Of course, CREDIT will be extended to NO ONE at NO TIME by NO ONE.
Damn...

chm
June 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Funny! Thanks.

Hey, it's my birthday! Can I get a free drink and a birthday cake? :D

2. No talk of RELIGION or POLITICS.

Perhaps not a bad idea?

In my Yahoo Group, as owner, I don't bring up this stuff, because I know I have a lot of members on opposing sides. No one else has brought either up, so I haven't had to deal with members getting into it, yet.

I don't know. I can go either way with this. I can disagree and still remain friendly.

I bow to Judy - she's the boss, I say, deeply bowing.

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 07:57 PM
If we outlawed discussion of religion or politics, we'd have to shut down every section except *Section 8! Besides, it's so much fun to fight with Ralph. All you have to do is say "Clinton" and he froths at the mouth... (And happy birthday!!! Have some beer and cake!)

Lindsey
June 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM
All you have to do is say "Clinton" and he froths at the mouth...
And if you add "Hillary," his eyes bug out.

--Lindsey

woodswell
June 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
And I was so hoping to have a blow out with that Armenian money I'd been saving up!

woodswell
June 15th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I figured rules 3 & 7 would be the real sticking points - and rule 8 for Fernando...
Anne

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 10:58 PM
It is rather fun, isn't it...?

chm
June 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much for the birthday greetings, and, especially, for the beer and cake.

As to the "controversial" discussions, I would only do it in a friendly spirit. I might dislike some politicians, etc., but I wouldn't dislike anybody here for what opinions they hold.

Much of my family - dad, brother, daughters... - hold political opinions opposite my own, so I'm used to living peaceably and lovingly with the, er, other side.

PS: Clinton, Clinton, Clinton... (just teasing! GD&Running Fast--->)

Carolyn

MollyM/CA
June 16th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Rule one would give US trouble if one of the two were Fernando!

rlohmann
June 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Besides, it's so much fun to fight with Ralph. All you have to do is say "Clinton" and he froths at the mouth.I do not froth.

I sneer.

rlohmann
June 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM
And if you add "Hillary," his eyes bug out.Another work of fiction from the defeated partisans of the former regime.

(Fiction, of course, is a skill for which the Clintons are renowned. The latest is Hillary's "I have no intention of running for president" mantra.)

Hey! Howard and Gerd in '08! You heard it here first.

<sneering politely>

rlohmann
June 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM
PS: Clinton, Clinton, Clinton... (just teasing! GD&Running Fast--->)I heard that.

PeteHall
June 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM
You might want something to drink...

(a recipe posted outside the still house of Ham House, a 17thC house 10 miles west of London)

chm
June 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I heard that.

I figured you would. ;)

Just teasing.

I'll get back to you re California after I've had a decent night's sleep, OIOW, when I'm more awake and have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about.

BTW, on the subject of Clintons, even I was surprised to hear how much support Hillary has for a run in 2008, even at this early date.

Carolyn

Lindsey
June 20th, 2005, 09:43 PM
The latest is Hillary's "I have no intention of running for president" mantra.
Oh, please--even if you're convinced that she'll run, what do you expect? That's the expected protocol. Name me one single potential Republican candidate who has publicly admitted he or she intends to run in 2008.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM
BTW, on the subject of Clintons, even I was surprised to hear how much support Hillary has for a run in 2008, even at this early date.
Hillary's numbers look better than W's at this point. Not that that says much...

--Lindsey

chm
June 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Yes. Isn't it wonderful?

Note also that the support for the war is only ~40%, according to one recent poll.

Finally, the American people may be coming to their senses.

Carolyn

chm
June 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Snail Water! (Who was it who had that barfy smileyface? It's needed here.)

It is a great cordial.

And, now I know where The Dragon is.... :p

Thanks, Pete.

Carolyn

PeteHall
June 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Snail Water! (Who was it who had that barfy smileyface? It's needed here.)
What better use for French brandy!

Lindsey
June 22nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Note also that the support for the war is only ~40%, according to one recent poll.
It's tragic that the truth is so late coming out. It's pretty much as I had expected all along, but at the time, it was next to impossible to convince most people that the emperor had no clothes. Most people really wanted to believe the president knew what he was doing. I could not manage to convince myself that was the case--and it turns out it wasn't.

Remember the "fly paper theory"? That the Iraq war was concentrating all of the potential terrorists so that we could fight them "over there' and not "here"? Well:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA believes the Iraq insurgency poses an international threat and may produce better-trained Islamic terrorists than the 1980s Afghanistan war that gave rise to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, a U.S. counterterrorism official said on Wednesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-security-iraq-cia.html?

As Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2003_07_27.php#001026) put it at the time: "The idea is supposed to be to drain the swamp, not create a new swamp and spend all your time swatting all the mosquitoes that come to hang out and breed."

Welcome to Okefenokee East. <sigh>

--Lindsey

Bill Hirst
June 22nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
As Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2003_07_27.php#001026) put it at the time: "The idea is supposed to be to drain the swamp, not create a new swamp and spend all your time swatting all the mosquitoes that come to hang out and breed."

As someone else said, "When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp."

I remember wondering at the time how invading Iraq was supposed to help capture terrorists in Afghanistan.

Lindsey
June 22nd, 2005, 11:14 PM
As someone else said, "When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp."

LOL! Oh! Oh! This is one of those cases where it hurts to laugh. :(

Our fearless leader assures us that he thinks about Iraq every day. Every single day. Maybe that's our problem.

--Lindsey

chm
June 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Well said, Lindsey.

And what about that Downing Street memo? How much is this war about the Presidents Bush vs. Saddam?

I've never really believed in the justification for this War.

Remember how many people believed that Saddam was responsible for 9/11? How did so many people get so duped? It's scary.

Carolyn

chm
June 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM
What better use for French brandy!
I'll take it! Gimme that bottle.

Curious facts today about the French: 89% of French consider Americans to be hard-working - more than any other country polled.

The French also see us slightly more favorably as the result of the generous contribution of the American people for tsunami relief.

Source: Pew Global Attitudes Project, from page A3 of the L.A. Times

News and info junkie,

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Remember how many people believed that Saddam was responsible for 9/11? How did so many people get so duped? It's scary.
They still believe in some connection between 9/11 and Iraq. Unbelievable...

Bill Hirst
June 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
They still believe in some connection between 9/11 and Iraq. Unbelievable...
They still believe in astrology, psychics and UFOs, too.

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
ROFL! (I read the second term as "physics" however, which my sister the physics teacher would NOT appreciate...)

Lindsey
June 24th, 2005, 10:58 PM
And what about that Downing Street memo?
Molly Ivins had an interesting column (http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/national/ivins/story/13102259p-13947010c.html) recently on that very subject.

I've never really believed in the justification for this War.
Which one? There were so many! But no, I was never convinced by the WMD argument. If they were so absolutely sure such a stockpile of weapons existed, and if, as Rumsfeld insisted, they knew exactly where they were, then I couldn't see why couldn't they produce any solid evidence even to the inspection team. Every time they produced something that was supposed to be the killer evidence, it was quickly shot down. (Aluminum tubes, yellowcake from Niger, unmanned drones...)

That's the power of propaganda. The Bush team was careful to keep repeating the same refrain, and always mentioning 9/11 and Saddam Hussein in close proximity. That way they could link them in people's minds without actually making the claim that one had anything to do with the other. It's not surprising that people came to the conclusion that there actually was a link. That's the conclusion they were led to draw.

--Lindsey

chm
June 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM
That's the power of propaganda. The Bush team was careful to keep repeating the same refrain, and always mentioning 9/11 and Saddam Hussein in close proximity. That way they could link them in people's minds without actually making the claim that one had anything to do with the other. It's not surprising that people came to the conclusion that there actually was a link. That's the conclusion they were led to draw.

Yep.

IMHO, the Bush administration uses propaganda even more than most administrations.

MollyM/CA
June 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM
They still believe in astrology, psychics and UFOs, too.

Our neighbors are hardheaded farmers who don't go in for any of the above but any one of them will look earnestly into your eyes and tell you that Saddam Hussein led the 9/11 attacks.

(Is Rush Limbaugh still around? Most of them used to drop everything at R. L. time--)

Wayne Scott
July 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
May I add a rule that comes from a T-shirt I saw in Kona a while back.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL.

Purist in Puente

Judy G. Russell
July 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
But... but... but I like white Zinfandel!