PDA

View Full Version : They tap email, the web, your phone and now snail mail

ndebord
January 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Bush's latest signing statement:

You thought it was just your phone conversations, email, and websurfing that was being monitored? Think again. Good old-fashioned snail mail can now be opened sans warrant.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061220-6.html

The executive branch shall construe subsection 404(c) of title 39, as enacted by subsection 1010(e) of the Act, which provides for opening of an item of a class of mail otherwise sealed against inspection, in a manner consistent, to the maximum extent permissible, with the need to conduct searches in exigent circumstances, such as to protect human life and safety against hazardous materials, and the need for physical searches specifically authorized by law for foreign intelligence collection.

http://www.rawstory.com/showoutarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fdonklephant.co m%2F2006%2F12%2F30%2Fyour-mail-is-officially-not-safe%2F

Judy G. Russell
January 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM
Here is the language that Congress passed:
...No letter of such a class of domestic origin shall be opened except under authority of a search warrant authorized by law, or by an officer or employee of the Postal Service for the sole purpose of determining an address at which the letter can be delivered, or pursuant to the authorization of the addressee.Now there's nothing in that that's inconsistent with the concept of exigent circumstances, which are a recognized exception to the warrant requirement. But the "hey we can open things for 'foreign intelligence collection' " -- well, let me just say I want to see the specific section of the specific law they say authorizes that.

ndebord
January 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Here is the language that Congress passed:
Now there's nothing in that that's inconsistent with the concept of exigent circumstances, which are a recognized exception to the warrant requirement. But the "hey we can open things for 'foreign intelligence collection' " -- well, let me just say I want to see the specific section of the specific law they say authorizes that.

Judy,

"It's on the tip of my tongue....let me see, I'll just browse through this small pile of signing statements to find the correct authorization. Hmmm, slightly larger than I thought. I'll get back to you in a year or so "(GWB)

Judy G. Russell
January 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
"It's on the tip of my tongue....let me see, I'll just browse through this small pile of signing statements to find the correct authorization. Hmmm, slightly larger than I thought. I'll get back to you in a year or so "(GWB)Sigh... I wish that was as funny as it should be...

Lindsey
January 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
well, let me just say I want to see the specific section of the specific law they say authorizes that.
Maybe it's a secret law?

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe it's a secret law?Wouldn't surprise me one bit, considering these are the same people who think it's perfectly okay to use secret evidence in a trial.

ndebord
January 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Sigh... I wish that was as funny as it should be...

Judy,

I know...I know.

<sigh>

Lindsey
January 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Wouldn't surprise me one bit, considering these are the same people who think it's perfectly okay to use secret evidence in a trial.
Precisely. And in fact, it seems like something along that line came up just recently, because I remember that whoever was writing about it brought up the fact that Caligula used to post laws in fine print up on pillars high above eye level where people could not see them to read them, and then take great glee in imprisoning violators.

Oh! I know what it was in relation to: the rules for being able to fly without identification. Something I caught the tail end of on NPR's "Morning Edition" recently was saying that in some cases, it is, incredibly, less hassle to fly without any identification at all than it is when you have all of the proper identification. The problem is, though, that the rules are not public, so you can't stand on your rights if, for example, your wallet or purse is stolen at the last minute and you don't have time to get replacement identification before you have to catch your plane.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Caligula used to post laws in fine print up on pillars high above eye level where people could not see them to read them, and then take great glee in imprisoning violators.What a role model...