PDA

View Full Version : What does "remember me" do?

dgermann
June 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Hi--

What does that remember me button do on login?

Does it just set a cookie? If so, since I clear all cookies at the end of every session, does it go away, or is it somehow permanent?

Lindsey
June 14th, 2005, 10:14 PM
As I understand it, "Remember me" sets permanent cookies that will remain as long as you only close the browser and don't click on "logout" when you leave the forum. The Logout button will erase all cookies, both permanent and session-only, and you won't be remembered when you log back in.

If you don't elect to set "Remember me" when you log in, then the only cookies that are set are session cookies that will go away when you close out your browser, and in that case, you won't be remembered after the browser is closed, even if you don't click "Logout". (And session cookies will expire after a set period of time even if you don't close the browser, so even keeping the browser open won't keep you logged into the forum forever.)

Does that make it a little clearer?

--Lindsey

dgermann
June 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Lindsey--

So it looks like if I clear cookies at the end of each browser session, there is nothing left on my machine anyway. Good.

BTW, I logged out yesterday and when I went to clear the cookies, there was still one from Tapcis.com.

Thanks, Lindsey!

Lindsey
June 15th, 2005, 10:01 PM
BTW, I logged out yesterday and when I went to clear the cookies, there was still one from Tapcis.com.
Interesting. I confess, I tend not to be terribly concerned about cookies, not unless I'm using a machine that doesn't belong to me.

--Lindsey