PDA

View Full Version : W98, security through obsolescence

davidh
December 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
"The Windows 98 systems enjoyed a bit of security through obsolescence and were tougher targets for metasploit."

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1973&rss

DH

ndebord
December 30th, 2006, 11:40 AM
"The Windows 98 systems enjoyed a bit of security through obsolescence and were tougher targets for metasploit."

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1973&rss

DH

David,

Think I'm in agreement here. When I temporarily went to W2000, I got a rootkit. Back in W98se once again and my combo of Kerio 2.1.5 FireWall, AVGFree 7.5 anti-virus, and Adware seem to be keeping the internet monsters at bay.

davidh
December 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
David,

Think I'm in agreement here. When I temporarily went to W2000, I got a rootkit. Back in W98se once again and my combo of Kerio 2.1.5 FireWall, AVGFree 7.5 anti-virus, and Adware seem to be keeping the internet monsters at bay.

I've discovered that Zone Alarm firewall (old Win 98 version) seems to have a bug (or feature) where it causes my Win 98 DNS lookup via dial up to fail when I have the router between my two home network PC's turned off. Sysop Irwin on CS Virus Central recommended the free Sygate 5.6 firewall and it seems to solve the problem. I think the problem partly stems from the fact that Zone Labs wants you to buy the pro-version to get support for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Sygate firewall is no longer supported by Sygate (maybe Symantec bought it), but it's still a free download.

I also use McAfee SiteAdvisor (non-pro) in both MS IE and Firefox. And I have security set to high in the MS IE "internet" zone.

AVG 7.5 still works on Windows 95 and NT 4.0, thank goodness.

I still try to follow SANS Internet Storm Center to see if common browser plug-ins and/or stand-alone programs need updates. Of course some of the latest updates or fixes for browser plug-ins or apps no longer run on Win 98 :(

DH

davidh
December 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Firefox just downloaded for me today the latest update of the NoScript extension (add-on) for Firefox. Hard to say if me being this paranoid about security really pays off, it's a PITA to "allow scripts" for so many new sites.

DH

ndebord
January 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
I've discovered that Zone Alarm firewall (old Win 98 version) seems to have a bug (or feature) where it causes my Win 98 DNS lookup via dial up to fail when I have the router between my two home network PC's turned off. Sysop Irwin on CS Virus Central recommended the free Sygate 5.6 firewall and it seems to solve the problem. I think the problem partly stems from the fact that Zone Labs wants you to buy the pro-version to get support for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Sygate firewall is no longer supported by Sygate (maybe Symantec bought it), but it's still a free download.

I also use McAfee SiteAdvisor (non-pro) in both MS IE and Firefox. And I have security set to high in the MS IE "internet" zone.

AVG 7.5 still works on Windows 95 and NT 4.0, thank goodness.

I still try to follow SANS Internet Storm Center to see if common browser plug-ins and/or stand-alone programs need updates. Of course some of the latest updates or fixes for browser plug-ins or apps no longer run on Win 98 :(

DH

David,

I don't much use FF and never use IE except for updates. KM does what I need and has less overhead to boot, so I'll stick with it for now. Always looking for a new spyware program though.

As for ZA, haven't liked it for a while. Sygate is very decent, but for the lease resource hit, Kerio 2.1.5 is the best. Not supported by anyone except the user community of course.

<sigh>

earler
January 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
I should think that trsdos would be even more secure.

-er