PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0.0.1 release notes

davidh
December 20th, 2006, 12:01 PM
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.1/releasenotes/

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Grrrrr... whatever they changed basically "broke" the Lexis legal research website for Firefox. Sigh...

ndebord
December 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Grrrrr... whatever they changed basically "broke" the Lexis legal research website for Firefox. Sigh...

Judy,

IMO, the Young Turks who took over Mozilla Foundation have managed to mess up both Thunderbird and FireFox. One of the reasons why I now do FF like I do MS. Yesterday's release until the bug fixes are truly released.

(running FF 1.5.0.8) as my backup to KM 1.0.2

Lindsey
December 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Grrrrr, indeed!

This sounds like a giant pain, too:

"When trying to print web pages with text areas, if the text area contains a misspelled word and spell checking is enabled, all the following content of the text area will not be printed. You can right-click in the text area and uncheck "Spell check this field" to turn off spell checking temporarily while you print."

I hope that's a bug and not a feature!!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM
IMO, the Young Turks who took over Mozilla Foundation have managed to mess up both Thunderbird and FireFox. One of the reasons why I now do FF like I do MS. Yesterday's release until the bug fixes are truly released.I think I may back up to the prior 2.0 and then turn off automatic updates for the time being...

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
I hope that's a bug and not a feature!!What the heck are these guys doing? Taking lessons from Microsoft???

ndebord
December 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM
I think I may back up to the prior 2.0 and then turn off automatic updates for the time being...

Judy,

The Young Turks wanted separate apps, so they told Mozilla Suite and the Old Turks to take a hike. Diminished resources for both FF and SM, not to forget TB.

davidh
December 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.1/releasenotes/

Firefox update guards against critical flaws
Patch issued, calamity averted
By John Leyden → More by this author
Published Thursday 21st December 2006 14:56 GMT
Free White Paper Download - Data Protection Tips for SMBs

Firefox users need to upgrade their browsers following the discovery of multiple security vulnerabilities.

The flaws affect both Firefox 1.x and the latest Firefox 2.0.x releases. Surfers need to upgrade to version 1.5.0.9 or 2.0.0.1 of the browser, respectively. Users also need to upgrade to a new version of the Mozilla email client, Thunderbird 1.5.0.9, for similar reasons.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/12/21/firefox_upgrade/

The missing Microsoft patches (NEW)
Published: 2006-12-21,
Last Updated: 2006-12-21 13:19:14 UTC by Swa Frantzen (Version: 3(click to highlight changes))

Vulnerabilites that are widely known and/or actively exploited are of great interest to our readers, here we try to keep an overview of them

[ 3 unpatched so far critical MS [Word] vulnerabilities ]

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1940&rss

My comment:
Maybe FF patched too quick. But some people probably don't mind that FF patches faster than MS.

DH

Lindsey
December 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
What the heck are these guys doing? Taking lessons from Microsoft???
LOL!! Ain't that the truth? Who on earth would choose for it to work that way??

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
The Young Turks wanted separate apps, so they told Mozilla Suite and the Old Turks to take a hike. Diminished resources for both FF and SM, not to forget TB.Sigh... well, Lexis is back up working today, so maybe it was a problem on their end...

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe FF patched too quick. But some people probably don't mind that FF patches faster than MS.If the choice is between a patch that maybe isn't perfect but is timely, and no patch at all, I'll take the former.

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
LOL!! Ain't that the truth? Who on earth would choose for it to work that way??A programmer in Redmond?

Lindsey
December 21st, 2006, 10:38 PM
A programmer in Redmond?
Yeah; who knows what those guys are smoking up there?

--Lindsey

Peter Creasey
December 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
If the choice is between a patch that maybe isn't perfect but is timely, and no patch at all, I'll take the former.

Judy, Usually I agree with your position on such matters, but in this case, I'm INCLINED to disagree. A flawed patch can wreak all sorts of havoc, some of which might not be easily fixed.

Harking back to my computer/systems analysis career, I submit that a patch needs to be fully tested for utmost reliability before being released. If there is any doubt, it should be held back.

In the case of these "supposed" FireFox patch problem(s), I'm glad to hear someone (you?) say that it was apparently not a FireFox problem.

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Judy, Usually I agree with your position on such matters, but in this case, I'm INCLINED to disagree. A flawed patch can wreak all sorts of havoc, some of which might not be easily fixed.I'm not advocating a flawed patch, but rather saying that an incomplete answer (one that fixes some things but not everything) is better than nothing. Microsoft seems to take the position that they'll release one big megafix for everything, or they'll fix nothing.

In the case of these "supposed" FireFox patch problem(s), I'm glad to hear someone (you?) say that it was apparently not a FireFox problem.The particular problem I had has been fixed. Whether that means the problem was on Lexis' end or whether Lexis changed something to accommodate the update in Firefox, I don't know.

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah; who knows what those guys are smoking up there?Somethin' that ain't legal here, most likely!

Peter Creasey
December 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
an incomplete answer (one that fixes some things but not everything) is better than nothing.

Judy, Expressed like that puts us in agreement. Any problem should be fixed as soon as possible with a well tested modification.

Judy G. Russell
December 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Any problem should be fixed as soon as possible with a well tested modification.D'accord.